IGNORED

Aftermarket brake lines

Hedgry

Recent talk of ABS modulator failures has prompted me to replace the OEM brake lines on my bike-something I've been meaning to do. Can any of you recommend a source for a good aftermarket brake and clutch line kit for my '04 1150RT? The guy at mopowersports said he needed pics of how the brake lines on my bike are set up...which got me wondering, can lines be made up accurately from a pic?

And along those lines, do you feel there is a difference in the brand of DOT4 brake fluids out there? I've been using BrakeBest from O'Reilly's (just 'cause they're close by). Curious to know what the collective thinks.

Thanks!

Henry

I can't answer your second question, but I can answer your first:

YES! Spiegler. They have kits and the one I got for my RT fit perfectly. Lifetime guarantee and about 60% of OEM lines.

Any questions?

"And along those lines, do you feel there is a difference in the brand of DOT4 brake fluids out there? I've been using BrakeBest from O'Reilly's (just 'cause they're close by). Curious to know what the collective thinks."

I would guess there is even less difference than between brands of oil.

Contact Speigler for your line replacements, perfect fit on my 1100RT. Simple process.

I use the brake fluid from my local auto parts store, never had a failure. With the money you save you can buy some farkles for the bike.

Paul,

As far as street bikes go, I don't know of any meaningful differences between DOT4's that I could likely detect by feel. I'd simply buy the one that I could that was closest to water white. There are substantial ranges for wet and dry boiling points but street bike calipers aren't going to get hot enough for that to matter. The BMW stuff is cheap and available in correct size containers so that's what use in my bike. My cars, track and street, all get Motul 600 bought by the case but its inherently a little darker than I prefer. (Doesn't matter for track stuff- it gets flushed constantly)

However, when it comes to DOT4s used for racing in cars one can indeed tell differences in racing situations if you have a sensitive foot. The slight differences in viscosity cause slight changes in brake release behavior. However, these would never be noticed in a street situation and are matched by the differences in release characterisitic of pads. Maybe top bike racers can tell a difference for bikes but I'm not one of those and I can't.

Can any of you recommend a source for a good aftermarket brake and clutch line kit for my '04 1150RT? ..which got me wondering, can lines be made up accurately from a pic?

If you can be without your ride for awhile, Send your originals here:

HEL-USA

E-mail, or call them first to let them know. Even though they had for the R, they were a bit off, so that's what I did. Fit fine doing that. You can pick your color(s) also.

As to dot4 brake fluid, for normal use there is no problem with the local autoparts stuff at all. Especially if you change you fluid and bleed as per your service schedule. If you plan on stretching out your service intervals for some reason, I would spend the few dollars more on a Castrol, Motul, Redline....higher end brand. JMHO though.

snnip

And along those lines, do you feel there is a difference in the brand of DOT4 brake fluids out there? I've been using BrakeBest from O'Reilly's (just 'cause they're close by). Curious to know what the collective thinks.

Thanks!

Henry

I was wondering about the value or risk of Valvoline "synthetic" brake fluid DOT4. Until a friend laughed and said, "Hey, aren't they all synthetic?"

Can't say as I really know the truth yet.

Yes, I'm a big fan of SS lines. Various benefits including, on my model, eliminating the tee. Betcha nobody (including me) can tell the difference in feel if you gave your rubber lines as good a bleeding as people do with new SS lines.

Ben

I thought my winter cabin fever was bad in Ontario - till I spent a bikeless month in West Palm Beach, Florida. And what's TERRIBLE, there are two Oilheads parked in our condo garage!!!!!!

Do you feel there is an advantage to the HEL brand? From what I can gather off their respective websites, they sound very similar in construction, and Spiegler presumably offers kits already made so sending in lines would be unnecessary.

Just wondering.....

Henry

I just bought some new Spieglers for the wifes R1100RT form Adventurers Workshop, great price and fast shipping. They fit perfectly and were a snap to install.

Archived