IGNORED

Schuberth C3 - Where to buy? US or Europe???

RedMac

I've been toying with purchasing a new Schuberth C3 helmet. I had a C2 for years which was the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. I ended up putting it away after a fairly minor dirt crash, but the helmet took a pretty good hit on the side.

I actually wanted to buy a new C2 to replace it but Schuberth had left the US at this point. I replaced it with a Nolan N103 with the bluetooth ecom system. I've had the helmet for about a year and half and while I think the integrated comm system is the best I've come across (works great! great sound) the helmet just plain doesn't fit me right. After about 3-4 hours my head/ears are just sore.

I wish I could keep wearing it, but for longer trips, it's just not comfortable for my head. I am dying to take it off after 2-3 hours. I've decided to sell the Nolan setup and either buy another C2 or a C3. I've got a fairly long trip planned this summer and the thought of wearing the Nolan for a week makes my head hurt already. And it's a shame, because other than the fit, I like the helmet....

I have been following the C3 and Schuberths return to the US. I tried one on at the Chicago cycle show it seemed pretty nice, loved the fit.

Here is now my dilemma... this is ONE pricey helmet. If I want the integrated comm system, purchasing it in the US is $1200 (!!!!!!????) bucks. Holy cow.. I have yet to see them discounted anywhere. 699 for the helmet, 399 for the comm.

While I know the DOT helmet is a bit different from the ECE helmet, I don't have a problem buying the ECE helmet. I can purchase the ECE version with integrated comm for ~ $855. That's a pretty significant discount. However, I also know that Schuberth US won't touch an ECE helmet here in the US for warranty work, I'd have to ship it back to Europe, if Schuberth will even look at an ECE helmet that WAS shipped back from the US.

Personally, I don't think the DOT helmet is any safer/better than the ECE version (I've dealt with a bunch of european safety agencies, in general, they are actually MORE restrictive than the US, if it's ok with the ECE, it's ok with me), so that's not an issue for me. More of an issue would be warranty support.

I'm even thinking of splitting the difference and buying the comm system here and the helmet over there. The savings would be a bit less ($50.00), but I figure I'm more likely to need warranty work on the comm system than the actual helmet.

What does everyone think? Anyone bought one from Europe? Had to have any warranty work done on it? Did you have any issues shipping it back?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Went through the same thought process last month. Fc-moto in Germany would ship the C3 to my door for $470. I just waited too long and Schuberth USA comnplained to the corporate and they shut down the Fc-moto discount. I did find it for $75 discount for BMWST member at Trophy Cycle Just call them on the phone and they will give you the discount. It arrived Friday and I've installed my Autocom system easily and just love it. I had the original "concept" as well as a C2 but the C3 is lighter, more comfortable and easier to use. Plus, unlike the C2 the C3 line can be removed for cleaning.

I'll give them a ring. They did post a discount on advrider.com, but it was only for what they have in stock (XL black)...

Interesting that really no US dealers are offering any discounts...

The completely removable line/cheekpads was actually something I love about the Nolan. I made a point on putting in the laundry when they started to get smelly. Works great. Plus you can replace them when they are worn. I admit my old C2 is pretty smelly...

Hi.

I've just purchased a C3 in the UK and the manual states:- "This helmet is not intended for use in the USA & Canada. The helmet has been inspected and approved to the European ECE Standard and therefore does not conform to US and Canadian regulations and requirements. It is only legal to use the helmet in countries in which the European ECE Standard is valid. If you use this helmet in other countries , you will not in the event of injury be entitled to make a claim for compensation before the US or QCanadian courts or the courts of other countries not bound by the ECE Standard."

I don't know if the police pick up on such in the US but here in the Uk they'll ticket you if your helmet does not comply.

Hi.

I've just purchased a C3 in the UK and the manual states:- "This helmet is not intended for use in the USA & Canada. The helmet has been inspected and approved to the European ECE Standard and therefore does not conform to US and Canadian regulations and requirements. It is only legal to use the helmet in countries in which the European ECE Standard is valid. If you use this helmet in other countries , you will not in the event of injury be entitled to make a claim for compensation before the US or QCanadian courts or the courts of other countries not bound by the ECE Standard."

I don't know if the police pick up on such in the US but here in the Uk they'll ticket you if your helmet does not comply.

Written by lawyers for lawyers. I am riding with a Nolan N43 Air which is not DOT and not sold in the USA, and don't worry about it.

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm fine with just the ECE certification. I'm more worried about warranty hassles if I need to return it. I'm really on the fence about this one.

It's been mentioned to me that US dealers are selling it at full price because they have to meet MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) and if I make a few calls I might be able to do better. I'm going to try that today...

Is the ECE version structurally different from the DOT version? If so, which is actually safer... ?

That's a bit like asking what brand of oil is best. I don't think there's a clear cut answer. They're simply made to meet different government-mnadated standards, DOT in North America and ECE in the UK/Europe. So I suppose the question then becomes what are the differences between those two standards. The article below is the best I've read and it's from WebBikeWorld. It compares the DOT and ECE "standards" (bit of a misnomer because DOT, for example, is not in and of itself a standard. The standard used by DOT is FMVSS 218). This is an interesting read:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2010/nolan-helmets/dot-vs-ece-helmet-safety-standards.htm

I don't intend to start a great debate, but with the number and variety of approved for use in the US helmets, why take the risk of using something not approved?

I understand the real issue is protection for the rider, however, should you have an accident, and any of the insurance companies find out the fact the helmet was not approved, I would guess they will refuse to pay. This assumes being in a state that requires the DOT standard helmet.

Sure you and/or your heirs can find a lawyer who would fight the insurance company, but why even open up the possibility?

I repeat not looking to debate, just wondering, as I believe each to their own, but maybe all our decisions are not completely thought out.

Again,

My original post was absolutely NOT intended to start a debate between ECE and DOT in terms of helmet safety. Which is why I clearly stated in my original post that I was perfectly ok with an ECE helmet.

Obviously everyone in the ECE area uses them. In a previous life I had to deal with worldwide product development and in many ways I fell their requirements are often more stringent than ours (depending on what it is of course).

I'm fine with ECE. I would feel fine wearing the helmet. I'm just trying to decide if the price differential is worth the hassle if I need warranty service and if anyone on here had to deal with warranty service in Europe after having one shipped here. I actually don't expect to need warranty service on the helmet, but hey. it has a 5 year warranty, you never know.

Is that worth 350 bucks??? not sure...

Agree the standard may be better, but.

I am waiting till March when the HiViz color will be available and will likely purchase a Schuberth C3, after a wear test for fit. Seems to have everything I am looking for in a helmet now. Price is steep but I consider my head is worth it. I'll stay with the US standard as that is where I ride.

stripboat99

I just ordered up a C3 from FC-Moto for $500, including shipping to Seattle. They have a discount code of Facebook10 good for 10% off. But you need to select your payment currency to be Euro's. I figure that I save $265 over purchasing locally. The only drawback was the bank putting a freeze on my credit card thinking that it had been stolen........

If you go to Google and type in google.de you will get the Google German site, which will return many options to buy a C3 in Europe. Just remember that you might get hit with duty fees. I just did it and saw some as low as 380 Euros ($525 US).

I just ordered up a C3 from FC-Moto for $500, including shipping to Seattle.

Can you say more about your purchase from FC-Moto? I checked their site and the price I saw was over $600 plus shipping. Did you get the VAT waived? The local price here in Southern California is about $700.

My Arai is about ready for replacement, and I only buy a helmet every five years. If you amortize the Schuberth, it's pretty cheap annual head insurance compared to what I pay in five years to cover the damn bike!

JOHNNYWISHBONE

me too!!

I just ordered up a C3 from FC-Moto for $500, including shipping to Seattle.

Can you say more about your purchase from FC-Moto? I checked their site and the price I saw was over $600 plus shipping. Did you get the VAT waived? The local price here in Southern California is about $700.

My Arai is about ready for replacement, and I only buy a helmet every five years. If you amortize the Schuberth, it's pretty cheap annual head insurance compared to what I pay in five years to cover the damn bike!

Johnny,

I have not ordered one yet, but they price they show is with the VAT (~19% I believe). They should waive the VAT for shipping to the US.

I'm still struggling with the warranty. Did FC-Moto state they would stand behind the warranty if you have to ship it back?

stripboat99

They waive the VAT automatically when you enter in your shipping information. The VAT is 19% so that's a hunk of savings! And if you use FACEBOOK10 discount code and enter your payment in Euro's (I tried, it didn't work paying in dollars) they'll take another 10% off. Including shipping, I was charged $500.68 on my credit card!

They waive the VAT automatically when you enter in your shipping information. The VAT is 19% so that's a hunk of savings! And if you use FACEBOOK10 discount code and enter your payment in Euro's (I tried, it didn't work paying in dollars) they'll take another 10% off. Including shipping, I was charged $500.68 on my credit card!

I actually tried to order one last night in Euros suing the FACEBOOK10 discount and it wouldn't take the discount code.. dang it... I would have taken a risk on the ECE one for that price. I'll see if I can drug up another discount code that works.

Lets_Play_Two

I just went on site and helmet comes to US$561 including 3-4 day shipping. That is without discount which it wont take. 10% discount and dhl shipping (7-10 days) would bring price below $500.

I was close to ordering a C3 from Germany at a really good price with the VAT waived etc. But have concerns about fit and sizing. So I decided to put it off for a bit. Also some reviews were not that good to justify the extra money vs. other brands.

I will be in Germany in the summer, so I might try one over there and possibly bring it back with me.

Archived