IGNORED

Another Screw To Check!

JohnNorCal

Last night I had my left side plastic off. I noticed that the hex-screw that attaches the lifting handle was backed out about 3/4 of the way and was finger-loose. I use the main stand almost all of the time. I don't want to think what would have happened if I tried to lift it and was left there holding a brushed metal handle with a bike on its right side. Maybe it was a fluke but you can check it by just removing the black side cover.

I think BMW must have changed (improved) the design in recent years? My '04 RT lift handle is anchored to the frame bracket with a large cotter pin and clip. Thanks for the post ... I never noticed the design of this very frequently-used part before! smile.gif

No problem, I was saved the cost of a new front fender and a tail light by reading this forum. I thought that I would pass on what little I know.

Last night I had my left side plastic off. I noticed that the hex-screw that attaches the lifting handle was backed out about 3/4 of the way and was finger-loose. I use the main stand almost all of the time. I don't want to think what would have happened if I tried to lift it and was left there holding a brushed metal handle with a bike on its right side. Maybe it was a fluke but you can check it by just removing the black side cover.

LOCTITE!!!

Bob.

The whole tail light assembly is held on by two plastic knobs that you reach by taking off the rear seat and feeling with your fingers. They work themselves loose after a while. Don't use locktite on these!

The front fender has four screws; two on top and two on the sides. I put blue locktite on these screws and always check after getting a new front tire.

The whole tail light assembly is held on by two plastic knobs that you reach by taking off the rear seat and feeling with your fingers. They work themselves loose after a while. Don't use locktite on these!

I used a lock washer on each of these and haven't had a problem since.

Archived