IGNORED

stuff

Pletch

O.K. need some help here. I am been given "guidance" that the wife needs a heated jacket liner. I have an R12RT with the power outlet, no problem there. She wears a Joe Rocket jacket, fits perfect with the liner in so I am thinking take the liner out and a heated on shoud be fine. Thoughts please.

Now, which out there is the best? Power draw, light weight, good quality and so on. I will only get one chance to get this right.

Thanks all.

Replacing the OEM jacket liner with a heated liner should work fine. Gerbings seems to be the concensus best but there are several others with good reputations also. Recommend you NOT go through the accessory socket but use the Gerbings direct to battery harness. Easy to install and use and I believe it comes with the jacket.

On the 12 series R bikes, the accessory sockets have limited current carrying capacity. One liner may work ok but it is close. If you ever daisy chain gloves, socks, & pants, it will not work. Best to use the harness.

Yeah about that. she is a small 5'10" and buck 35, me on the other hand I am barrel chested 6'4" 240 pounds. So sharing a liner probably isn't gonna happen

On my 12, I have a front and rear outlet, can I plug into each of those and not tax the system to much? I doubt I will wear one, a bit warm blooded, and she may go with more but not likely.

On my 12, I have a front and rear outlet, can I plug into each of those and not tax the system to much? I doubt I will wear one, a bit warm blooded, and she may go with more but not likely.

Yes you can but why would you want to drape all those wires. Much easier to use the coaxial connector on the Gerbings harness. Besides, the Gerbings are designed to be "daisy chained" so you only have one connection to the bike.

The Gerbings stuff is kind of expensive once you add all the extras you need to run it.

I bought a vest from AeroStich. Their brand is called Kanetsu. It only draws 3 amps or so and can easily be run by the bike's plug. It comes with the wires you need an an on/off switch. It's just enough to allow me to ride down to 30 degrees without discomfort.

If you're going with a full set of heated gear and want it HOT look at Gerbings or Warm 'n Safe.

How well does it fit under your jacket?

It fits just fine.

My layers are, in order:

T shirt + heated vest + (maybe a fleece jacket if too cold) + riding jacket's inner liner + riding jacket.

The jacket is Olympia 3/4 touring jacket, liner is heat reflective.

Tourmaster synergy comes with a 3 position solidstate controller. Lao can be daisy chained with pants or gloves using one controller if you choose , or you can have separate cont.

I only put it to "hi" mode during warm up, then mid or lo heat setting only . High setting will toast me.

Ditto on the Tourmaster Synergy vest. Inexpensive and effective. A light layer against the skin + heated vest + lightweight fleece pullover + riding jacket with liner and I'm good into the 20s. Rode from RI to Daytona last year on Feb 28 and it kept me in the game. Hi gets hot. Mid is good for cold days and low for mild days. I plug into accessory socket, but it can be configured to connect directly to battery if so inclined.

Archived