IGNORED

new to forum

xharley97

I just sold my Harley,I have been riding for 40 yrs. Been on a harley for the last twenty.

I decided it was time for a change so I bought an 04 R1150 RT to fill the hole left from the Ultra-glide.I still have an FXR2 (The Wifey's Bike)in the garage if I get the itch.

The last BMW I owned was a 1983 or 84 (I think) R100RT.

I found some Canadian fella who gave me a very fair price for the Hog so I found a very nice RT and put some farkle money in my pocket. The RT arrives in Oregon by truck from OMAHA Nebraska this friday. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and getting it ready for riding season.

The bike has 17k miles and appears to be clean, bought new originally from this shop and they have all service records.They just did an 18K service and pinion seal.... I hope.

I could have bought a new one but did not want any payments and I like the 1150s looks better than the newer bikes. I realize I am getting an older bike with less power,more weight but they sure are nice to look at. Afterall I came off of 97 Harley so I am pretty easy to please. With any luck it will be all I expect.

I was "hotnosing" around the local dealer this last weekend and a guy pulled in with what looked like my new bike. We talked for a while and he let me sit on it. I think I am going to enjoy it.

I have been pokin around on the internet and this seemed like a good place to land.

I am looking forward to meeting you all.

Welcome to the forum. I think you will be happy with the 04 rt. I've owned mine since new and haven't had any problems for the last 36000 miles

ditto that with 47k miles. only normal wear and tear. put spiegler brake lines on last year.

with your low miles make sure service on the abs system is up to date. engine wise it should just about be broken in.

have fun.

Welcome back to the brand. Enjoy you new bike - I'm hoping your purchase is a indicator that this darned snow is gone for the rest of the year!

I'm at 112K trouble free miles on my '04. I almost bought a new RT last month but just can't let the old girl go. I'm in the middle of a bi-annual service on her now, getting ready for 7K mile west coast trip in June.

Best farkles -

New seat: The stock seats suck ... replace them ASAP with one of the good after-market brands. I've ridden Russell and Sargent - both very good but my wife liked the Sargent best - I've done 1000 mile days on it in reasonable comfort.

Hyper-Pro Shocks: all of the re-buildable after market brands are good. I ordered mine shortened 1" ... lower height makes low speed 2-up riding much more secure

Signalminder SM-5: Auto cancels turn signals and let's you use them as running lights

Starcom-1: Intercom for 2-up riding is essential. It also allows me to have Sirius, iPod and phone available.

Common 'Quirks' to watch for-

The stick coils that attach to the primary spark plugs fail in stages. Early symptoms can be hard to diagnose ... an occasional shut down at idle ... brief stumbling on acceleration.

Boxer twins vibrate a bit. A lot of this goes away with a precise valve adjustment and a proper balance of the throttle bodies (really just getting the throttle cables sync'd up). Dealers work on an hourly rate ... owners seek perfection. Learn the basics of valve adjust and Throttle Body Sync.

You'll read a lot about final drive failures. If you ride on a failing bearing then the problem gets more expensive. Do this ... Each time you check the air in the rear tire, put the bike on the center stand and gram the wheel at try to twist it around the horizontal and vertical axis (3 o'clock and 9, 6 o'clock and 12). There should be no deflection. If you feel a slight knock, then turn on the ignition, have someone depress the brake pedal, and see if you still feel the knock. If you do, then it's time to find a good service guy to rebuild the final drive. If you feel the knock with the brake off, but not with the brake on, then you need to pay attention to the rear pivot bearings ... not a big job.

Find a local 'Tech Day' and learn to do your own routine maintenance. It'll save you a bundle and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to keep your RT running great.

Enjoy the RT!

In response to:

Poster: workin them angels

Subject: Re: new to forum

Welcome back to the brand. Enjoy you new bike - I'm hoping your purchase is a indicator that this darned snow is gone for the rest of the year!

+1, its been a long winter and its only mid Feb!!

Welcome. I've purchased out of state bikes four times and had three of 'em hauled to me with mixed results. I'll be curious to find out how your transport experience goes so please follow up!

Welcome on board.

Your background sounds like mine... that is 20 years on H-D and I Loved my FXRS-SP... probably the best (non-touring) H-D they ever made. (I actually wish I still had mine). But dont tell anyone.

You might want to consider filling out your profile...

welcome again

Bob

Welcome. I've purchased out of state bikes four times and had three of 'em hauled to me with mixed results. I'll be curious to find out how your transport experience goes so please follow up!

Sorry 1 second hijack: ''Keyboard Shipping Company''... Amazing, they do PIANOS and motorcycles... WAS EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!

Welcome! You have indeed found the right place to land.

There are some other Oregonians on here so consider filling out your profile so we know where you are.

Ewell

What a nice bike! Welcome aboard. IMHO, 04 was the best 1150 because of the double spark plugs in ea. side.

Even better are the 05's with the factory mounted battery terminal accessory!

Whew! I was sweatin it but the bike finally arrived. I had a heck of a time figuring out the trunk lock. The "Brake Failure" light scared the crap out of me. Those things worked themselves out right away.

I rode it home just beating the rain then I had to go to work right away.

Weather here is cool, trying to rain and forecast is snow tomorrow. That did not stop me from putting 60 miles on it this evening after work.

It has it's quirks, but nothing I did not expect thanks to you guys. Brakes are grabby but I think I will get used to it. In fact I think I like it. This thing is a stopper!

The turn signal set up is just weird. I am sure I will get used to it.

It sits a lot higher than I am used to so slow speed stuff is a bit awkward but it is getting better (for me) already.

At any speed above 10 mph Handling is perfect.

This makes my Harley seem like a 63 volkswagon microbus.

Pleasant suprises, The brake light has a strobe flash sequence then goes to solid. Is that stock?

In the radio box there are 2 power outlets(like cigarette lighters)I do not know if those are stock. I knew it had a shelf for my Garmin 550. Killer headlights! Heated grips are the best thing since sliced bread! Cee bailey windscreen is awesome (see below) And the Mack Daddy tank bag flips up for fuel. I think I will save that for trips

The bad news... the windscreen has some minor scuffing that I am pretty sure happened during shipping. Other than that it came to me in great condition.I will talk to the dealer about that tomorrow. I think maybe somebody that knew something could rub it out.

I was a little suprised how you can "creep" up to 75 mph and 90 with the windscreen up was like going 55 on the Harley . If you are in 6th gear you are "breakin the law"

I think I will be looking for a low Sargent seat right away. the factory low ain't gonna get it.But for now it is fine.

This is a very Nice Bike! I am a very Happy Camper with my new toy. I see lots of miles in front of me.

Thank you all for your welcome and your help

Welcome aboard and to the Beemer life. You have a great bike and I know you will enjoy it.

BTW, Chesty lived his retired life just up the road a piece in Saluda VA. Hwy 33 is named Gen. Puller Highway.

Pleasant suprises, The brake light has a strobe flash sequence then goes to solid. Is that stock?

In the radio box there are 2 power outlets(like cigarette lighters)I do not know if those are stock.

That sounds like an aftermarket brake light to me

That sounds like an aftermarket adaption of the radio box

Both, in my opinion, are improvements

I miss BMW brakes.

Enjoy your superb machine and welcome to the board :clap:

Hi and welcome.

I enjoyed pix of your 04RT and I could swear they (pix) were taken in front of BMW of Western Oregon in Eugene. If so say hi to Scott and his lovely wife. :)

I also own an '04 RT with a Russell Day Long saddle and you absolutely can't find a better product. They ain't kidding when they say "day long".

nice looking RT. The flashing brake lights are after market. Look under the seat and you will probably find the device. Mine had a signalminder on it when I got it 3 years ago. It is great to be seen from the rear on the bike.

I have enjoyed my transition from Harley to BMW. The beemer is definately more fun and the most comfortable bike I have ridden. It took me several months to get used to the difference. My previous Harleys (road glide and FXRP) were also nice bikes in their own way.

Acutally I bought the bike from BMW of OMAHA and that is where the pics were taken. I am looking at Russel seats as well.

I was in the Eugene Store just the other day. They have changed the name to "European Motorcycles of Western Oregon" I dunno why.

I have not met everyone there yet but I am certain it is only a matter of time.

I agree Harleys are nice bikes but nothing like this RT. I still have an FXR2 in the garage but I have not had the urge to fire it up since the RT has showed up.

I have sneaked a few rides in just getting used to the RT and I am impressed with pretty much everything about it.

The transition has been fun. We got home from the Mtns and I went for a ride tonight between rain it is cold. My wife asked

"Do you Have a girlfriend or something" I answered "Yes she is pretty Blue right now"

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

Congrats! That is a beauty of a bike you got there.

I have a Russell Day-Long on my RT and let me tell you what, saddle soreness is a thing of the past. Having said that, unless you also see 1000 mile days in your future, there's nothing at all wrong with a Sargent seat or other makes as well. They certainly look better! But for all day in the saddle comfort, I think it's pretty difficult to beat a Day-long.

Now that the RT is of a newer generation, you might find a Day-long used for a great price.

Congrats! That is a beauty of a bike you got there.

I have a Russell Day-Long on my RT and let me tell you what, saddle soreness is a thing of the past. Having said that, unless you also see 1000 mile days in your future, there's nothing at all wrong with a Sargent seat or other makes as well. They certainly look better! But for all day in the saddle comfort, I think it's pretty difficult to beat a Day-long.

Now that the RT is of a newer generation, you might find a Day-long used for a great price.

I am seriously looking for one. We have a local guy who will build one from my seat pan. He sounds very knowlegable about this series of bikes. I may give him a try. He is pretty much booked solid until April. You spend a whole day with him. His cost is $450.00 plus options and he garantees you will be happy with his work.

Bill Schoettler

I'm another newbie. Hi y'all from Montevideo, Uruguay. Have a new F800GS with a real windshield (after market) and top case. No hills down here. Everybody rides but all the bikes are 150s or 250s made in China and have a top speed of about 45mph. Every now and then I see a real bike but they're usually going the other way on the highway. I'll post some local trips. Country is great for retirement.

beemerman2k
I am seriously looking for one. We have a local guy who will build one from my seat pan. He sounds very knowlegable about this series of bikes. I may give him a try. He is pretty much booked solid until April. You spend a whole day with him. His cost is $450.00 plus options and he garantees you will be happy with his work.

I wonder if that local guy is one of the Mayer (spelling may be off, here) brothers? If so, I say go for it. Their seats are legendary, just like the Day-Long saddles are. And given that you are so close to him, you'll have an easier time customizing it to your liking.

Bill,

Welcome.

Suggest you start your own thread but make sure to include pictures from your fabulous locale.

Best wishes.

So I found a Rick Mayer seat for my RT in the classified I snatched it up. It showed up today and Wow what a difference. The bike is so much more now. The more I ride this 04 RT the more it impresses me.

So I am out checkin out my new seat and I wired up my zumo 550 so... anyway I am riding along and I come across a couple of wanna-be Biker types... So I stick my hand out to wave. The wind catches your hand a little differently on a BMW than a Harley! I am not sure if it the fairing or the fact I was going 85mph. They shined me on! That irritated me some... I wave to everyone I always have. anyway I made my loop and the two "bikers" were sitting at the local market. One of them was on a Yamaha "virago" the one with the teardrop tank. How can you be uppity when you are riding a virago? I know the guy heard me laughing.

I feel better now

Archived