IGNORED

Coaxial TV cable question

ESokoloff

My mother-in-law just picked up a TV & wants to put it in a room that the cable company did not run a line to.

My question is can I merely splice(tee) into an existing rooms feed at a convenient location or is their a better way to do this?

Likely only one TV will be on at a time.

Ed, I wouldn't "splice" it but you can cut the existing cable and put connector ends on both pieces then get a small "junction box" with an additional port and connect the two ends of the existing cable and one end of the new cable. Run the other end of the new cable to the new TV. Should work fine.

DaveTheAffable

That'll do it if there is no "cable box" needed. If the tv is "cable ready", just get a little splitter at just about anywhere, and away ya go...

:wave:

Wow...John and I musta both been typing....

As long as the signal is strong/clean enough. Otherwise you'll need an amp/booster, but usually that doesn't come into play until you've got 4 or so TVs.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

How about telling us a little more about this device? I'd be interested but prefer to read actual customer feedback before spending the $$.

No kidding. Just the sight of that web site gives me pause.

They are one of several options that pop up if you google home wireless tv...

I too would love to hear from someone who has experience with the technology.

They are one of several options that pop up if you google home wireless tv...

I too would love to hear from someone who has experience with the technology.

So, you recommend it but have no prior experience with wireless TV technology? Hmmmm....

Thanks gents.

I didn't think it would be an issue but wasn't 100% sure.

Tim two issues with wireless.

The unit I had experience with worked for the short distance required but the image quality was poor & it was line of sight so in the case of my in-law considerable cable would still have to be run with no advantage.

How about telling us a little more about this device? I'd be interested but prefer to read actual customer feedback before spending the $$.

The wireless devices I've used have been lackluster. I would be free of my set, had I actually managed to package and send them to a fellow DB member before he solved his own problem an alternative way. (I did manage to carry them cross country twice, in hopes that I would get to it during downtime at hotels.) They seem to work, but you better have very little interference.

There are some new devices that are very expensive that will send 1080p signals, supposedly very clearly and with little to no lag. I note that they all demand line-of-sight.

I'm still happy to give my RF (SD) pair up, if anyone wants to actually count on me making it to the PO.

Archived