IGNORED

sena smh10

Heyfrank

It looks like a fancy blue tooth dongle than will also let you hear a radar detector among other stuff. I purchased the sena for a simple way to talk to passenger and now I think it might be fun with the other stuff.

I am amazed at the bike to bike distance acheived by bt with the sena. I could barely see my wife in the mirrors and we were still talking. Highly recommend

• 4 months later...

I see there's now a new version of the SMH-10 that allows the firmware to be updated. For U.S. and Canadian customers with the original version, you can upgrade to the new version for $49, but you have to first ship them your original main module once you've bought the upgrade kit online directly from Sena (not a retailer). See here:

http://www.senabluetooth.com/contact/notice_20110620_1.php

szurszewski
I see there's now a new version of the SMH-10 that allows the firmware to be updated. For U.S. and Canadian customers with the original version, you can upgrade to the new version for $49, but you have to first ship them your original main module once you've bought the upgrade kit online directly from Sena (not a retailer). See here:

I guess I'm glad I can upgrade my two units for a hundred bucks instead of buying new ones....but in a quick look at the site, I wasn't able to figure out, at this time anyway, WHY I want to be able to upgrade my firmware...

Thoughts?

I guess I'm glad I can upgrade my two units for a hundred bucks instead of buying new ones....but in a quick look at the site, I wasn't able to figure out, at this time anyway, WHY I want to be able to upgrade my firmware...

Thoughts?

I don't know of any firmware updates available at the moment, but who knows what they'll come up with. I just bought two units a few months ago and haven't used them much (they're primarily for rider-passenger intercom on long trips). Not sure why I'd want to drop another $100 + shipping + hassle etc. for new ones.

szurszewski

It would be nice to know what sorts of things might get upgraded, and whether or not we'll be able to upgrade in the future if we don't do it now.

I've had a pair since the end of last summer but only use one (with my iPod and cell phone via bluetooth) most of the time. The only change I'd maybe be willing to pay for would be the ability to use the wired line-in without superseding all other features (so my wife could use her non bluetooth ipod when we ride together and still be able to talk to me)...but I think that's probably hardware related and it would be cheaper to buy a bluetooth dongle anyway (including that one they sell now) ... and less hassle.

...I wasn't able to figure out, at this time anyway, WHY I want to be able to upgrade my firmware...

Thoughts?

Speculation: firmware upgrade of the SMH10 could be needed to work with the SR10 when it comes out...

An advantage (not worth $50 on it's own) is reducing the number of cables I would need to carry by one.

(I already use a 4 port AC to USB charger for my phone, MiFi, etc...)

There was a post earlier today on ADVRider.com from a guy who spoke to Sena. He said this:

Why would you need to upgrade firmware? They are coming out with the ability in the next 45 days or so to connect everyone on one single group channel. So say you have 4 people in your riding party, you could all have a group discussion as long as you still push to talk when you want to chime in. They are also coming out with some other abilities which they couldn't comment on.

Ordered mine yesterday.

I'm hoping on an update that will let be synch with my RT's bluetooth. After several tries I still cannot get them to hookup.

Thanks Lmar, you're right it fit. I just needed to work on the inside clamp just a little more.

Michael (Sagerider),

Have you set up any of your Ham gear with Bluetooth so you can use your Sena? My FTM10R got a little drink of water and it has some problems on the mic side. I'm not sure if the module would work in it.

I tried the FTM-10R with the Sena unit, but gave up.

I'm waiting for the Sena SR10 to come out and I'll give it another shot.

Problem was extremely high noise level on bluetooth audio.

I still have the FTM-10R on the bike, but hard wired to an Autocom.

Personally, I think the FTM-10R is a terrible design for it's intended application, and I may well go back to one of my older Kenwood units.

The Sena unit worked great if all I wanted was bluetooth GPS/phone.

Jerry in Monument

I'm kind of ticked about this. I bought mine the biginning of June and now they're obsolete since they are not the 'upgradeable' version.

Now Sena wants another $100 (I bought the Dual). Had they been more open about the upcoming version, I would have just delayed my order by 1 week and been able to get the latest.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not going to get too excited about it unless they start adding some really awesome features. For the time being, I'm just going to hang onto the ones I have

Thanks Michael,

That makes for an easy decision, I don't really want to sink any more money into the FTM10. I was thinking you were running the Kenwood when we were in Kerrville.

With the nice antenna mount I have on the RT, I'm kind of tempted to look at a VX8 with Bluetooth, which should be good for bike to bike and repeater work. Have you seen any forums tracking that?

The FTM-10 works fine with an Autcomm if you build the right interface box to isolate the two. There is plenty of info out there on what is involved. I have tried several BT headsets with the FTM-10 and none work well. The best solution would be a good, hard-wired noise cancelling headset. I have tried a couple of those with poor results at speeds above 45 mph.

I built the box for the FTM the guy posted on the LT board and it worked like a champ. My FTM10 got wet and it has since crapped out. At one point, I had the Zumo, FTM10, IPhone and everything working perfectly through the Autocom. Now I'm starting all over with the Sena.

Archived