IGNORED

Chicago Bike show

jjsrt

It actually was a fairly nice day..almost record temps...32 degrees...we were in t-shirts for the show... we hit Villa da Carlos on the way home...Best pizza in southern Wisconsin!

Regards

Jeff

Yeah Its after 8pm here and it is still 61*. Got up over 80* today. Went out for a nice ride today, had to shed alot of my gear, even had to pull off my gloves while riding and stuff them into my tank bag, because my hands were sweating like crazy.

We rode up to Julian Ca. which is about 4500 ft. elavation and frequently gets snow, but it was over 70* up there this afternoon.

BMW was a no show at Rosemont,Ill. today. Anybody know why? Triumph actually showed...Lots of vendors missing as well.

Regards,

Jeff

BMW has seen fit to only use their marketing dollars budgeted for consumer shows on the left and right coasts. The midwest no longer counts. This is the third year that they are MIA. As for other vendors not being there, many no longer exist, e.g. CycleGadgets. Overall, the Chicago show, as well as other shows presented around the country by this group, are becoming less and less significant each year.

It actually was a fairly nice day..almost record temps...32 degrees...we were in t-shirts for the show... we hit Villa da Carlos on the way home...Best pizza in southern Wisconsin!

Regards

Jeff

Yeah finally! Keep in mind we had -23° temp. in NW Indiana Thurs. morning(that's minus, not a typo). Last week we got 20 more inches of white stuff, not exactly motorcycle weather. Still....Saturday got above freezing and no precipitation, so it was a decent day to get out.

The Stevenson center was crowded by noon. Lots of neat custom bikes. Many old British bikes including a beautiful Vincent. I didn't buy anything tangible; the sales tax is 10-3/4%!! Kinda makes any deal a bad deal! Some guy named Billy was signing autographs. I think that he is an athlete or something :grin: I love the Triumph T100, especially the Scrambler model. Old school looks with modern technology. The Enfields and Urals are also very cool. I did spend money. Contributed to Breast Cancer assoc. and bought a ticket for the MOA sweepstakes bike. They are now raffling 2 bikes! That doubles my chances of losing :)

We(my buddy Boof and his wife, Sandy)enjoyed the day and we stopped in LaGrange on the way home at a nice Mexican bar. My first beer in a month! I recently was diagnosed with diabetes, so got to watch what I ingest! Still....a cold beer after a month off was like heaven! Doesn't take a lot to make me happy! BTW, I met my son-in-law at the show who brought my 2 year old grandson along. They live outside of Rockford. What a blast letting Jon sit on new bikes :clap:

A good day overall :wave:

Rob

Yikes, 10 3/4% sales tax in Illinois? Sort of makes on-line, out of state, tax free, free shipping, farkle shopping attractive.

Maybe that's another reason why vendors don't show up to these venues, internet shopping created obsolescence for traditional shopping.

The 10-3/4% sales tax includes the state tax, county tax, and the city tax. Everyone wants a piece.

You're right! It definitely will drive business away!

Rode down on a coach bus by Team Motorsports out of De Pere, Wis. on Saturday.

Would have liked to have seen the new BMWs at the show.

Sat on the new Yamaha Tenere, the Triumph 900 scrambler, and the Royals. Was surprised to find that there isn't much room for the foot on the sidecar Ural.

The show was crowded, and it was good to see so many people out looking at bikes.

Careful what you ask for :dopeslap: Remember my grandson Jon was at the show so...

bikeshow2011015.jpg

Thruxton in the background

bikeshow2011011.jpg

wishin I had that hair, or any hair!

bikeshow2011006.jpg

Beautiful Vincent

bikeshow2011016.jpg

The orange bike was totally handmade and I am guessing the engine was taken from a generator or perhaps an industrial welding machine. Pretty cool anyway!

Archived