IGNORED

R12RT -- ESA Detail

bobiverson

Hi, Gang --

Since I complained to my dealer that the owner's manual for the R12RT has absolutely ZILCH detail about what happens when one presses that ESA button, he faxed over the following document that I'll retype here for you:

The system allows the rider to adjust the damping while riding. The front shock can only be adjusted for rebound damping.

The spring preload can only be adjusted with the motorcycle at a standstill with the engine idling, for safety reasons.

Spring preload adjustment is accomplished by a stepper motor which incorporates a potentiometer to provide feedback to the ZFE control module. Compression and rebound damping adjustments are accomplished by stepper motors within the body of the shocks.

The damping settings and display include:

1. Comfort

2. Normal

3. Sport

The spring preload settings and display include:

1. Solo operation

2. Solo operation with luggage

3. Operation with passenger and luggage

All ESA adjustments are controlled by the ZFE control module.

Hope this is helpful to you.

BOB

ShovelStrokeEd

So, for your 1500 bucks, or whatever that option costs, you get an electric screwdriver and a thingy that turns the fat chick knob for you. Doesn't seem to make any compensation for riding manner other than 3 separate settings. No dynamic damping adjustment or variable rate springs.

Seems a bit of a rip to me. Not that hard to twiddle knob position or turn a couple of screws. Once dialed, suspension settings, other than preload, pretty much stay the same. Maybe with a click or two a month compensation for wear if you ride a lot.

I'd much prefer that they offered a variety of springs as optional on the shocks so the initial spring rate could be tailored to rider weight. A far more important thing, IMHO, than and electric preload adjuster.

Ed, it's only 750 bucks... smile.gif The big perceived advantage is that you can adjust damping while riding, depending on the road and your mood.

I was with you on this but then got it anyway. I like toys. smile.gif

I now love it. Being able to change preload easily is a relief as I often have a "variable load". Changing the damping settings is also really useful - depending on mood, road surface, etc etc and you can change it as often as you like. Yesterday was mainly Normal and Comfort settings. Today was definitely the Sport setting. smile.gifsmile.gif Good fun.

Of course its not hard to twiddle manually but how often does one bother (except for prelaod and that is a bore)? Also I belive the manual version has no adjustment at all up front.

Paul

For me the ESA is really worth it. Most of my riding is a daily freeway commute (comfort setting). It smooths out the pavement cracks. Around town I go to normal. In the canyon twisties I go to sport. Even though the only change from one setting to the next is front damping, it adds to my safety because I can pick the best one to match the road conditions while on the fly.

Even though the only change from one setting to the next is front damping, it adds to my safety because I can pick the best one to match the road conditions while on the fly.

Hi, Bob --

This is not true. According to the BMW documentation I received:

"The ESA system allows the rider to adjust both the front and the rear suspension electronically by a button positioned...blah blah"

Also, see my original post.

Part of the confusion is that none of this is spelled out very well. It's not in the manual, but they do give you a tiny little supplemental about it. This pretty much just tells you how to change things -- not what you're specifically changing!

Also, it appears that nothing is changed "on the fly" -- rather, you have to stop and idle for changes to be made (due to safety reasons).

BOB

Bob_Mc,

The damping changes with the ESA are..

Front, rebound only

Rear, compression and rebound

Unless I've completely missed something (happens often crazy.gif )

Edit: Bob Iverson beat me. eek.gif

Edit Again: Bob -n- Bob, The damping changes can be accomplished on the fly. The preload changes must be accomplished at a standstill.

Regards,

Carl

I thought that too, the suspension is electric adjustment which is nice, but also the suspension is better quality than non esa. I know someone with non esa bike and he has ridden mine on normal setting and reckons it handles better.

Can't comment positively on the difference between ESA and the stock shock on a ST , but my bike's suspension is well controlled with the ESA . I value handling in the twisties and the ESA shocks feel like quality pieces. I have read a couple of magazines less than enthusiastic reviews of the stock shocks. So for the money I'm guessing the ESA was a good decision for me personally. Damping adjustments for clarity, ARE made on the fly when desired.

I almost purchased my R12RT without the ESA option -- spent about a couple of hours thinking about it and quickly changed my mind.

According to my dealer, it turns out that ESA was somewhat of a mystery on the '05 models when it comes to standard/optional equipment. Somewhere along the way, BMW simply was shipping every single RT with ESA, and it was close to impossible to get one without.

I decided to get my RT with ESA because it is one of those features that I just seem to believe that practically ALL of the new RT's is going to be equipped with -- and if there comes a day when I need to sell my bike, I think I would have had a problem with a non-ESA RT.

ESA is a handy feature, but like Ed said, it's just an expensive screwdriver. The real handy thing will be being able to ride the bike in multiple configurations (one up, one up with luggage, two up, etc.) in the same day without having to do much more than press a button. That is kinda sweet smile.gif

I don't know what the difference between comfort / normal / sport is quite yet since I'm still in break-in period... I must be kind to my bike for the first 600 miles, not to mention that I'm just getting my sea-legs back myself after the giant get-off.

BOB

You can change the damping on the fly, just not the preload.

I have found it to be moderately useful. I ordered my bike without it, but it came on it anyway. The dealer split the cost with me. I suppose I like it OK, but worry about the cost of replacing the shock later. Hopefully, aftermarket or rebuilt shocks will be available for the ESA bikes by then.

Jay

Archived