IGNORED

'emergency helmets'

Rocks Jr.

Hello everyone,

I was told last summer that I should carry a second helmet on my bike at all times, just in case I need to give a random someone a ride somewhere. So the question is, how many people actually do this? Also, if you do in fact do this what kind of helmet do you carry and how do you secure it?

Cheers!

I tend to not give random someones rides.

Only time I carry an extra helmet is when my wife is with me... Come to think of it, it's not "extra" then any way. ;)

The only time period I carried a extra helmet was when I was around age 40, my marriage in the dumps, and I was full of oats. Never had a chance of using it... :cry:

Joe Frickin' Friday

I've never carried an extra helmet, unless I was specifically planning to pick someone up somewhere. Like Don, I'm not in the habit of giving random folks a ride.

When I did carry a helmet, it was on the rear rack, secured with a bungee net. Although I secured it in an upright orientation, I wrapped the whole thing in a plastic garbage bag just in case it rained enroute; I figured weird air currents around the bike might possibly drive rainwater up inside the helmet if I didn't do so.

In response to:

Poster: Paul Mihalka

Subject: Re: 'emergency helmets'

The only time period I carried a extra helmet was when I was around age 40, my marriage in the dumps, and I was full of oats. Never had a chance of using it... cry

I went through the same thing at age 40. If I knew then what I know now, I should have bought a Harley!!

Never done it, and don't plan to. Presumably anyone one who would be using a "random" helmet would have no other motorcycle gear on. If so, they wouldn't be getting on my bike (they'd have to be dressed as appropriately as I was to be on the back of my bike).

"I was told"...

How much credibility do you ascribe to that person?

Is that what they do?

If so, why?

On the off chance an attractive person wants to throw themself on the back of the bike?

As a rescue vehicle?

Seems like Hint # 101 on the list of Top 100 Motorcycle Hints, IMO.

The person who said this to me was one of my best childhood friends, she doesn't ride on her own so when I visited her over the summer on my bike she said, "You know Rocks Jr., if you are going to drive motorcycles, you should at least have the barest minimum of gear with you. Just in case you run into an old friend who wants to go for a ride."

In response to:

Poster: Paul Mihalka

Subject: Re: 'emergency helmets'

The only time period I carried a extra helmet was when I was around age 40, my marriage in the dumps, and I was full of oats. Never had a chance of using it... cry

I went through the same thing at age 40. If I knew then what I know now, I should have bought a Harley!!

Heck, if you were going to get a Harley you wouldn't need a helmet would ya?

The person who said this to me was one of my best childhood friends, she doesn't ride on her own so when I visited her over the summer on my bike she said, "You know Rocks Jr., if you are going to drive motorcycles, you should at least have the barest minimum of gear with you. Just in case you run into an old friend who wants to go for a ride."

That is a different context altogether.

I think she was conveying a different message.

:)

This could be handled in advance with a question about whether they want to ride when you visit.

Perception might be that it is easier for you to get (or already have) a second helmet.

Probably would've been a good idea...

:lurk:

She wasn't telling you to carry an emergency helmet. She was saying she wanted to go for a ride with you.

But to your original question, I have an extra helmet in my garage. If I were to carry it around and bumped into a random somebody who wanted to ride with me, it probably wouldn't fit. If you've ever ridden with a helmet that doesn't fit, you know how painful it becomes. That's not the experience a passenger wants. If you're in a state that requires a lid, spontaneous rides are next to impossible.

Say, isn't this the beginning of a letter to Penthouse Magazine?

----

Nice n Easy Rider

Say, isn't this the beginning of a letter to Penthouse Magazine?

Might have been a good one except Ben thought she was talking about motorcycle helmets. :grin:

Rocks,

I'm pretty sure your friend was asking for a ride.

The first year I had my Harley I put a half helmet in the saddle bag for the women that asked for a ride.

Most of the gear almost all of the time.

She wasn't telling you to carry an emergency helmet. She was saying she wanted to go for a ride with you.

Yeah, I know. :)

So, it seems you now need to carry an extra helmet.

Lesson #1, it needs to be quite secure. Losing a helmet isn't fun.

I once put one in my RT sidebag in a fabric bag. The vibration caused a screw head to bore through the bag and destroy the face shield. Lesson #2, watch out for vibration.

Bungee net a helmet in a carry bag onto the rear seat or rear rack. If you are nervous about losing it(and you should be), add another strap or bungee for secondary protection.

You may also want to have a few nice places to ride figured out.

Have fun!

Archived