IGNORED

Oil Change Info - Thanks; Used Oil?

rfc1992

I have been using this site since just prior to buying my 2001 R1100RT. I used it for research and the wealth of general guidance that I found. I later joined the site.

Thanks to all of you that contribute such good information. I have had my bike for 3 months now and needed to give it an oil change. With the information I found here, it was a 20 minute job from start to clean-up.

Thank you.

Additionally, although I am not one that believes that the ice age ended due to the industrial revolution I am willing to learn more eco-friendly things. I have always returned oil to the place from whence it came. Does anyone have any quick, no-mess solutions for reclaiming used motor oil and transporting it in such a fashion that it doesn't foul my SUV interior?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Does anyone have any quick, no-mess solutions for reclaiming used motor oil and transporting it in such a fashion that it doesn't foul my SUV interior?

I sometimes have empty 1-gallon plastic bottles from antifreeze or windshield wash solution. I put used my used oil in them if they're available; if not, I put the used oil back in the 1-quart plastic bottles that the new oil came in.

I put the bottles in plastic grocery bags, double-bagging, then secure it in my car so it doesn't fall over (depending on vehicle and/or oil quantity, the floor of the back seat is sometimes better than the trunk).

The car parts store makes me empty each bottle into their big tank, and then I have to take the empty containers home. Yuck. Instead, I recently found out the local landfill accepts bottles of used oil, no emptying required, so this is a cleaner option for me. thumbsup.gif

I guess the only anti-fouling tip I have here for you is the plastic grocery bags.

ShovelStrokeEd

Wally World, and probably your local auto parts store sell and oil change kit that has everything you need. Take the used oil down to your local Jiffy Lube or, as you said, back where you bought it. Large plastic trash bag with the oil change kit inside. Watch the g's when turning, starting or stopping and you'll be fine.

I have a 55 gallon plastic drum in my warehouse. When I fill that, I'll worry about taking it to a disposal site.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Call your trash company...

I just put my used oil in a free container that my trash company gives me, and then put it out on garbage day. Then I come home at the end of the day and put the replacement, free, empty container in my garage for next time. :D

I put the used oil into 1 gallon plastic milk jugs put the cap back on and then take it to the place I have do the cars. They are happy to recycle it, and best of all no charge. I have heard that Jiffy Lube will take it as well.

the oil recycling conatiners with a large opening (with a sealable lid) to drain the oil in plus a screw cap at the end to drain the oil works best. you'll also need a drain pan with a pourable lip to catch the oil, as none of the recycling containers, that i've seen atleast, has a good enough catch for oil coming out the bike. oil ends up spilled on it. a nice large drain pan helps emensely. my recycle conatiner is large enough to hold several changes so i only have to take it every so often. the rest of the time it seals so well it just hangs in the garage. make sure it's a qaulity one with sealing gaskets or it will leak. i found mine at wall-mart years ago. if you have a quality one then you can wipe it clean before it goes in the car. i won't leak. recycle the oil & bring a rag with you incase the person pouring it out spills some. i've done this for years with making a mess or needing an extra trash bag. in fact i recyled my oil today. fyi, recyled oil becomes mostly marine diesel, or so i've been told.

Call your trash company...

I just put my used oil in a free container that my trash company gives me, and then put it out on garbage day. Then I come home at the end of the day and put the replacement, free, empty container in my garage for next time. :D

so your saying your trash company recycles your oil at the curb for you? if so that's cool.

or are you saying you throw in in the trash and it's dumped in the ground? if so you suck.

I put the used oil into 1 gallon plastic milk jugs put the cap back on and then take it to the place I have do the cars. They are happy to recycle it, and best of all no charge. I have heard that Jiffy Lube will take it as well.

at my napa, where i recyle oil, the only take used oil in a approved container. so do you pour it in these with a funnel plus use a drain pan? with a recyling conatiner the oil enter area is large. mine is 10" round so i pour directly from a drain pan. your method involves an extra piece of equipment to clean. just a thought.

I save all goodly sized plastic containers that held fluid and have a screw on lid....one of my favorites is the laundry detergent jugs, the ones with the press button for dispensing laundry soap.

When I change oil, I pour into these (I do have to clean a funnel afterwards) and take to my local Wal-Mart. Wal-mart takes my jug, also I can just leave it outside their bay area if they(automotive department) are closed. My auto stores make me pour into their vats.

Good luck.

I use an oil catch pan with a spout, as many have recommended to you. I also went to a nearby restaurant and got a 5 gallon cooking oil plastic jug for free. Rinsed it out with hot water and now I accumulate several oil changes from 2 bikes and then take the oil to WallyWorld. They take the oil no charge. Previously I accumulated milk jugs, 2L pop bottles etc, but the 5 gallon jug is pretty mess free, assuming the spout on the catch pan stays centered on my funnel!!!

Thanks for the tips. I have another 2,900 miles to implement them. I do appreciate it, my wife doesn't like my returning the oil to the ground method.

Archived