IGNORED

Mount for GPS on '99 RT?

longbch

I've read the forums about brackets, shelves and RAM bolt-ons for the R1100RT, and I'm now thinking that a RAM suction cup mount for a Garmin Nuvi 550 may be the way to go.

Has anybody mounted a GPS on the tach or speedometer successfully over time without the GPS falling off? I'd be taking the GPS on an off the bike to use it in the car and to stow away.

I think that having the GPS up by the windshield would be much better than having it down by the tank or off to one side on a mirror mount.

The tach is large enough for the smaller 3" RAM suction cup, and the speedometer is large enough for the 3.3" mount.

Thanks,

Kelly (still using maps for now...)

I bolted my mount onto an above the gauges shelf. It is just below my line of sight, and the shift to look at it vs. the gauges is much less.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Did you bolt yours onto something like an accessory shelf?

I was thinking that I could stick mine onto one of the gauges and get a RAM arm long enough to put it up around the edge of the windscreen. If I do this, I will probably make a small wire tether to connect the GPS to one of the screws on the dash.

Kelly

Yes. I used an accessory shelf. I use it for shading the gauges and for holding my gloves (velcro on the shelf hold them by the adjustment tabs).

Just my 2 cents worth , but I wouldn't trust suction cups to hold something as heavy and valuable as the nuvi550 in place. Ram makes a lot of mounting options and cradles for just about any unit Garmin makes , so you could remove the unit and leave the secure mount in place. Keep the arms as short as possible so vibration doesn't make the screen unreadable. They're not usually all that expensive either. Good luck , Ross http://www.ram-mount.com/SearchResults/tabid/38/searchBy/WizardResults/criteria/ignored/Default.aspx

Good advice on the keeping the connecting arm short - thanks.

It looks like I may be back to considering the accessory shelf.

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly, I'm in the process of modifying my existing "handmade" RT shelf to hold my newest GPS, a Garmin 1490 (it has the huge 5" screen"). The previous GPS was a Garmin Quest, but time has taken its toll on both GPSy and my eyes, so the installation of her replacement, JimBob, is almost completed. I'll be glad to post some pictures once it's completed.

FWIW, the shelf is the way to go. Gets the GPS up in your line of site, shades your gauges so you don't get a lot of glare in the sun, easy to make one if you're handy with a hacksaw and a can o' paint. If not, there are aftermarket shelves available.

PM me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help you out with your installation in any way possible.

Thanks Mark. I'd like to see your shelf and GPS once you get it setup.

I just ordered a Nuvi 550 from GPS City with the RAM mount that will bolt to the left unused mirror mount. I'll try that for a while, but I think having the GPS in the middle above the gauges will be best. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been using scans of the DeLorme Gazetteer in a map holder, but have missed many turns on the country roads that look like they go one way on the map, only to find out that they merge into another road. I'll still use the maps for an overview and the GPS with way points to make sure I don't miss any turns.

Thanks for the reply.

Kelly

Archived