IGNORED

Don't want to if I don't have to!

bigtim

As a newer owner of a 2003RT I'm still finding my way around this new contraption so this question may have been beat to death before but I could not find another post by searching so here goes. Please go easy on me.

In this part of the country (read this as deep freeze) I have found it's best to remove the batteries from my stored equipment. I have looked through the Clymers manual and it looks like the only way to get the battery out is to remove the tupperware from the left side.

I just wanted to confirm this since it looks like a fair amount of work just to remove a battery. What ever happened to flipping the seat up a disconnceting the cables anyhow? grin.gifgrin.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for the advice. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

You can connect a battery charger directly through the accessory plug. No battery removal necessary. I did this last year in my unheated garage with no problems at all.

Yes,the left side body work must be removed to get the battery.The easy way is to keep the battery charged through the power outlet. I use a sealed battery so I never need to remove it to check water / acid. The only time I remove my battery is to replace it. You should learn to remove the bodywork. You'll need to do so for service and repairs.

Why not just leave the battery in the motorcycle and charge it monthly thru the winter. A fully charged battery can handle temps down to -40. Half charged is only good to 15 degrees so the trick is keeping it charged. My bikes spend the winter in an unheated building batteries intact and have no troubles. I connect each of them to a Battery Tender once a month for a few hours if that. I also charge the lawn mower battery thru the winter.

Removing the "tupperware" is a chore but gets easier each time you do it. Batteries under the seat disappeared in 1995 for BMW. The non telelever K's and R's were the last.

Archived