IGNORED

Mobil 1 in the RT?

DBG

I know these threads pertaining to oil have been bounced back and forth here all the time, but whats the true bottom line on using Mobil 1? Has anyone ever had any feedback from BMW? I am assuming that the 15W-50 wt. is the oil being used, am I correct? I just hit 12k and am going to switch to synthetics, so any consideration would be appreciated. Thanks DBG

NOOOOOOOOOO! Not another oil thread so soon, if you have been looking at the other threads on oil you know perfectly well that there is no consensus. BMW says to use BMW oil, surprised? No more troilling please.

Come on, guys. The guy is freezing up in Maine and has a question:

Yes, Mobil One is great stuff. I started using it in my RT at 18K (have nearly 50 K now) and just introduced it to my 1200GS (also at 18k). I change oil and filter every 6k.

Why is everybody so snappy all of a sudden...Geez?

Been using Mobil 1 oil and filters for quite a while and love it.

Just switched to Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube for the tranny and final drive...Great Stuff.

So dude...you wear electrics up there?

A couple of years ago there was a fellow on one of the VFR boards who did oil anlysis for a living. He asked for and received many samples of used oil from members on the board. The Mobil 1 was consistently the best of the lot. Often some of the motorcycle specific ones showed considerable detioration after 5,000 miles to the point of being practically useless. Honda branded oil, for example, did not fare well. One caveat is that this oil was used in VFR's. Both the wet clutch and the gear box share this oil with the rest of the engine. In my book though since the BMW doesn't subject the engine oil to the abuses of clutch and transmission the Mobil 1 should, if anything, work better in the Boxer motor.

Andrew

Big Thanks to the guys that responded, switching to Mobil 1 before putting bike into hibernation. May have had last ride yesterday. Drove to East Millinocket, 168 miles round trip, and on the way back I hit snow for about forty miles. Just big wet flakes, and not sticking to the road. Thanks for the info. DBG

I know these threads pertaining to oil have been bounced back and forth here all the time, but whats the true bottom line on using Mobil 1? Has anyone ever had any feedback from BMW? I am assuming that the 15W-50 wt. is the oil being used, am I correct? I just hit 12k and am going to switch to synthetics, so any consideration would be appreciated. Thanks DBG

Imagine that! A new thread about oils! Haven't had one of those for for at least the past couple of hours, have we? grin.gif

I think I'll bite my lip on this one (much to everyone's relief).

Bob.

OMG!!! Did I really read just now that people put their motorcycles up for the winter and NOT ride them for months!! Life is too short for that, but then, thank goodness everyone doesn't want to move to real motorcycle country. Sorry, couldn't resist.... eek.gif

Big Thanks to the guys that responded, switching to Mobil 1 before putting bike into hibernation. May have had last ride yesterday. Drove to East Millinocket, 168 miles round trip, and on the way back I hit snow for about forty miles. Just big wet flakes, and not sticking to the road. Thanks for the info. DBG

True, you can find 1000 different threads with 1000 different opinions, many of them authoritatve. grin.gif

Which of course, makes it all that more confusing. I did my own research, and for reasons I won't much discuss (but you can find easily with a search of post archives on this and the ibmwr site), Mobil 1 synthetic oil for cars is somewhat less-than-desireable, and possibly risky. Basically, Mobil 1 is an "SJ" API oil. For reasons (air pollution control, I believe) other than performance, the Automotive oils have been including less additives from the SJ rating onward, additives which twin motorcycle engines depend on. On the other hand, the dealer service rep said "everyone uses Mobil 1, and I don't see anything wrong with it". I still use Mobil 1 on my RT. dopeslap.gif I'll probably change to their V-TWIN oil during the next change (which of course, is more expensive than auto Mobil 1).

When I asked Mobil, they responded:

"Mobil1 V-TWIN 20W50 motorcycle motor oil is the recommended product for your application."

20W50 is the Harley "standard", by the way. That's why Mobil probably makes 20W50, and not 15W50.

Drove to East Millinocket, 168 miles round trip ...

DBG, you don't live too far from Baxter State Park, one of my favorite places on the planet! Nice country!

Sheesh Folks!

Give the poor guy a break! Winter must be setting in. The crankiness levels are up. tongue.gif Don't let this stop you from asking questions. Usually the natives are friendly. smile.gif

D B, it might be helpful for you to know the intricasies of the search function. Take a look here.

It looks like you did get some good info in and amongst the potshots. grin.gif

Folks on the board are almost always happy to help and a diligent search of common topics like oil and tires will turn up more info than you can make your way through this winter.

Cheers!

I know these threads pertaining to oil have been bounced back and forth here all the time
Having been scolded for rebuffing this thread I would like to say in my defense that the above statement is what caused that, if you know this has been discussed why ask again? (Furthermore I did answer his question very precisely)
russell_bynum

Woa...wait a minute. If I'm not mistaken, you're just going to change the oil, then park the bike for the winter, right? And aren't you supposed to change the oil again at the end of winter before you start riding again?

If so, don't waste the money on synthetic oil. Just get the cheapest stuff you can find in an appropirate viscosity. You're just going to let that oil sit for a few months, then drain it, so there's no reason to spend the money on synthetic oil.

Les,

I have to agree with you! The original purpose of this forum was to exchange info, not for ridiculing someone for asking a question, no matter how many times it has been asked before. I don't understand some people!

In my honset opinion, which doesn't mean anything, people need to learn to have fun and just relax. I attached the "oil bird" to my post which has been passed around motorcycle boards for some years. "It's just for fun" it is no different than "dixe" or "west coasters" poking fun at us deep freeze folks who cannot ride all year. eek.gif

Synthetic oils have been beat to death and maybe that is part of the problem/solution. Every manufacturer want's you to use their oil. They have a nice profit margin on those products BUT none of them manufacture their own oil. It is packaged for them. Read the side of the BMW oil bottle, Spectro manufactures and packages their oil. HD recommends you use only their oil but their Syn3 oil is not 100% synthetic only about 2/3's, because the 100% syn oils are too slick for some applications. The lower bearings slide rather then spin and that causes flat spots on them, THIS IS NOT GOOD that stuff is too slickery.

All in all, you need to use oil that meets the standard the mfg. recommends. Change it often and you will seldom have any problems related to oil failure.

JMHO dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Don't let this stop you from asking questions. Usually the natives are friendly.

Ah, the sweet voice of reason, lovingly basted in some patience. Nice.

Thanks

beno

Don't let this stop you from asking questions. Usually the natives are friendly.

Yeah, just ask about the servo brakes.......

You'll see just how friendly we are!!!!!

Stan

When my 2002 R1150RT was newer, about two years ago, I took it to Big Twin Motorcycles, a BMW dealer in Boise ID for a service. I don't remember the exact milage, the service dude said that if I had a few more miles, he would stick Mobil 1 in my bike. He had Mobile 1 on the shelf and to the best of my knowledge, this is a top notch shop. I can only assume that a good BMW dealer would not recommend a motor oil that was not good for your bike. Myself, I kind of prefer BMW 15-50 synthetic oil. With BMW oil in a BMW, I figure I can't go wrong!! From all the oil threads I have seen on this forum, most of the major MC oils, Rev-Tech, Red Line etc. it is hard to go wrong. thumbsup.gif

Just gotta keep shooting this horse, but for what it's worth, for the last 10 years I have run M1 synthetic in everything I have. Cars, trucks, bikes, (15-50), lawn mower, generator and pressure washer. See no reason to change.

Thank you Les!!

If I'd been treated like that when I first showed up here I would have been long gone. This is usually a great place and it would be a shame to drive anywone away.

Cameron

Archived