IGNORED

Strong fuel odor at start up

DallasR1100RT

DallasR1100RT

I smell a very strong fuel odor when starting the engine and today I noticed it left some fuel on the ground.

I started it up for the first time since Saturday...it was on the center stand...she left me a little "puddle" of Shell gasoline on the ground.

My mileage is DOWN to about 40mpg. I know people are going to say that is normal..but this bike was closer to 50.

Any ideas or suggesttions?

Thanks

Mark

It your bike was an 1150, I would suspect quick disconnects on the fuels lines, right side of the bike. My 1100 fuel lines started to rot out (liner was cracked) and began leaking on the outlet (right side of tank - access plate and hose connections. Is the fuel on the right-hand side of the bike?

Mine did the same thing a couple months ago. Fuel quick disconnects. When I took the left side plastic off found a slow leak that got much worse when moved. I have gas hot water heater in garage and so parked bike in drive with cover till the parts came in. Took 30 min to repair.

If it's a broken quick disconnect and don't have ready access to one it's easy to remove the broken item and replace it with a piece of fuel line and a brass ferrell (sp?).....Be sure you use fuel injection clamps and line....Here's a pic of the one we used on Kathy's 1150 and the broken disconnect below...Subsequently installed metalic quick disconnects......

An unnecessary caution: Careful of gas fumes and water heaters etc...

BMWQuickFuelRelease002.jpg

If all of the above suggestions turn out to NOT be the problem, then it may be time to consider a failure of the fuel distributor and it's not an easy fix. It is buried deep in the middle of the bike and you pretty much have to break the bike in half to get to it. That's when it might be time to consider a few other high mileage maintenance items while you're into it that far; clutch, spline lube, throttle cables, clutch cable, etc.

Over time those hose clamps seem to loosen up. I've tightened them after removing the tank, only to re-tighten them a month later, swearing that I didn't leave them that loose.

After a certain amount of aging, the liner of those hoses appears to get brittle and cracks when you disturb them by removing the tank and (for example) changing the fuel filter. After that, they don't seal against the spigot anymore.

When I removed mine and compressed the end a bit, you could see the cracks in the liner, but the outer hose layer was still intact.

Over time those hose clamps seem to loosen up. I've tightened them after removing the tank, only to re-tighten them a month later, swearing that I didn't leave them that loose.

Not sure how much good it does, but I coated mine in locktite.

Archived