IGNORED

Help Me Find a (short) Washer & Dryer . . . .Please!

Mike

Our washer just went belly-up in a big way. Fixable, but it's old and neither it nor the gas dryer have ever been our favorites. But, there's a problem: the current pair are side by side under a counter in the laundry room, with only 34.5" of vertical clearance (the "standard" 27" width works fine).

Any recommendations? It seems most of the new washers and dryers are 36" tall or taller. I need a washer/gas dryer combo that is vertically challenged. :S

You might be able to use them w/out the feet (adjustable) if your floor is level enough.

We did that w/a dishwasher to fit a lower space.

Don't know that would be enough though, we only needed @ 1/2 an inch or so.

Jean & Tim--

Thanks! I got it figured out. I came across a couple units that would have worked, but they were pretty tiny, in terms of capacity. So, I found a handyman with an honest face (on-line :rofl:) and called him and gave him our garage entry code. He's at our house right now, either raising the counter or helping himself to the china and jewelry!

This was one of those monumentally dumb things I do from time to time. Learning that the repair of the old washer would be outrageously expensive, I did the "easy" thing. I checked some options on the web, then called a local store. The salesman was very helpful and set up everything lickety-split. Then, after going to bed last night, I was jolted awake by the thought that I hadn't actually measured the available space. I went downstairs and found that front-loading washers have indeed grown over the years. It's rare to find one that fits below a standard-height counter. I guess, like most things in America, we want our washers and dryers super-sized.

Thank God we've got Handyman Charlies in this world! As if it wasn't enough good fortune to find someone who could help out on short notice, Charlie suggested that he could take the iffy washer and the pretty-good dryer to Habitat for Humanity, where they would make use of the latter and probably dispose of the former. :thumbsup:

I went downstairs and found that front-loading washers have indeed grown over the years. It's rare to find one that fits below a standard-height counter. I guess, like most things in America, we want our washers and dryers super-sized.

Note: As we age we don't want to bend over as far, so the front load washers and dryers are getting taller ;)

Archived