IGNORED

Bay Area to San Luis Obispo to see my youngest and a rocket

RT Russ

So, as I posted a short while back about heading South to see my daughter and witness the Delta IV Heavy launch, herein is a short tale......

I was up at 5:00AM and on the road by 6:00AM. I headed South on I-680 at a brisk pace in the brisk morning air. I had my heated vest on, grips on high etc. I was worried about commute traffic through Fremont/San Jose since I used to live there and had to deal with it everyday. They now have a FASTRAK capable HOV/Carpool lane. It cost me a few dollars to utilize the wide open lane. I didn't stop until I was well South of Silicon Valley. Gassed up near the turn off of 101 to Monterey. The sun was up by now. Traffic through Monterey/Seaside area was kind of slow. Once past all of that PG&E Linemen were busy replacing the conductors along about a mile stretch of pole line. Slow and go for a while. Once past that I started making some time. The day was absolutely beautiful.... 5392272278_c620d31e7c_z.jpg

DSCN0010 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

I motored South with my iPod playing through the AutoCom and my ER-4P earbuds. Great music had me singing in the helmet once again. Thankfully you won't be subjected to that. More of the Coast rolled by....

5389674482_dedb773821_z.jpg

DSCN0013 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

I got stuck at more road work. A crew was building a bridge around a slide area. I was there for more than 20 minutes. Frustrated, I got off the bike and shed some liners/layers. Ate an apple and shot the breeze with the flagman. The crew was planning to take a late lunch break to watch the launch as well. 5389674554_8afe60058f_z.jpg

DSCN0014 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

The road work did not prevent me from getting to San Luis Obispo on time. My daughter on the other hand was late in meeting me. I got a couple of tacos and gas (not from the tacos) while I waited for her then we headed further South at a pretty brisk clip knowing we were in jeopardy of missing the launch. We got as close as we could and then stopped to watch. 5392265014_51790d00ff_b.jpg

DSCN0021 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

5389069585_2621350468_b.jpg

DSCN0023 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

We got to see the first stage separate. Pretty darned loud even with my helmet still on. My daughter was happy. I had wanted to get closer but since she was pleased....I was too. We headed North for me to drop her off at Cal-Poly for her afternoon classes. While she was getting her helmet off and putting gear away I looked down at mt rear tire......we evidently picked something up in our haste to get to the launch. I did not care to ride that tire home so.......I went in search of.....I found a local rider in a parking garage and asked him where he gets his tires. He recommended......

5392381174_358b82de92_b.jpg

2011-01-20_15-49-15_528 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

I rode to them, they had a RoadSmart and put my RT on the rack and changed it for me on the spot. Kind of pricey compared to buying online and doing the work myself but I was sure grateful for their efforts!

I enjoyed a nice cigar and yakked with local riders while they worked. Got some good side road recommendations too.

After the tire was on, I rode up to Morro Bay and checked in to my hotel for the night. After dropping my gear I rode across Hwy 41 to Atascadero to meet the daughter for dinner and a great visit. We made plans to meet for breakfast at 10:30AM....she's a college student and that was the earliest she was willing to be up! I headed back to my hotel and headed to bed. I was in the saddle more than 11 hours and was fairly tired.

Met at Luisa's in San Luis Obispo for a great breakfast and then hugged her goodbye as she headed off the school. Me? I went down to Grover beach for a hot oil massage before heading home. Almost too relaxing.

I headed North through Pismo Beach and Morro Bay enjoying the day. I went as far as Cambria looking for Santa Rosa Creek Road that RAD had recommended. I found it and for the first 10 miles I thought he must have been out to get me, this was a goat path....

5389069751_8e8f7cfb48_z.jpg

DSCN0033 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

5389674836_a1090af68b_z.jpg

DSCN0034 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

Then I got to the top and found our why he had sent me there....

5389069869_de365654a9_b.jpg

DSCN0036 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

A great view all the way back to the coast. Wow, it was a much better road after that.

I got down to Hwy 46 through Paso Robles and got a late lunch then headed North on 101 to San Miguel to hit Indian Valley Road and Peach Tree Road per Boney's advice since I planned to go Hwy 25 past Pinnacles.

5389077085_84ba2b60c4_z.jpg

DSCN0045 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

Indian Valley was very nice at dusk with the Golden Glow that the late light brings.

5389682208_85894ba2cc_z.jpg

DSCN0047 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

I made a wrong turn at the junction of Peach Tree Road and what I thought was Hwy 25. Turned out I turned on to Hwy 198 and made it to Fresno County Line before I realized it. I was really only 15 miles off course but had to turn back those same 15 miles to correct the error. The light was gone by then....

5389682268_b544dba0d1_b.jpg

DSCN0050 by Drumhawk, on Flickr

no more pictures after that. I did get to go by Pinnacles.....but I didn't get to see anything but the sign. I made it through Hollister and motored on to Gilroy to Taqueria Cancun......highly recommended. I've stopped there several times during the Cal-Poly trips I've had to make. From there it was 101 to I-680 North at 75-80 MPH the rest of the way home. I was glad to be home after another 9+ hour day in the saddle. It was a good break in for my new DayLong saddle. I've got about 1500 miles on it now and today I contacted the folks at Russell to get an "adjustment date" so I can have it shaved a bit as I cannot touch down more than my toes. Other than that, the DayLong is the dream saddle that everyone told me it would be!

Of course when I got home the wife noticed.....I didn't get any pictures of my daughter! Bad Dad!

Great pictures. The launch must have been spectacular. Thanks for posting it.

I rode in that area two years ago. Want to go back. It is just awesome scenery.

CoarsegoldKid

Super. Thanks. If I had known about the rocket I would have been down there too. Peach Tree Road is a nice meandering country road. I should do it again.

Nice report. Go back April 7 or so for the Atlas V launch!

I think that sounds like a great idea! Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller?

I headed North through Pismo Beach and Morro Bay enjoying the day. I went as far as Cambria looking for Santa Rosa Creek Road that RAD had recommended. I found it and for the first 10 miles I thought he must have been out to get me, this was a goat path....

Ya, it is a bit small, but it is paved...Sorry if it was a bit much for ya. Great pics

Nice write up ther Russ. Santa Rosa road is pretty cool but it is really really ruff through some of that. I went through there on the Vstrom a few months ago. it might be rought but it sure is twisty..........and some great views

pic23.jpg

pic22.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Might very well on company dime. :thumbsup: Holding out for a bigger one though on the other coast.

Otherwise, if there's a group (Sacto929?????), it's a possibility. Problem with the launches is that there are delays about 80% of the time.

Ya, it is a bit small, but it is paved...Sorry if it was a bit much for ya. Great pics

It wasn't too much for me :thumbsup: It actually reminded me of a lot Skaggs Springs Road on the North Coast, very twisty, one lane, no stripe etc. and trust me....I enjoyed the view immensely! Thanks for the tip. :clap:

Archived