IGNORED

Gerbings wiring / power question

cali_beemer

I just bought a used gerbings jacket liner and single controller for $100. It worked great and I loved. Its not microwire but it still worked great. I am now looking at the pant liner and socks. I have a single controller but it appears there is a place to plug the pants into the jacket liner. Will my single controller be able to power a jacket liner, pant liner and socks? or do I need to do the dual controller? I realize that with the single controller, all 3 garments would be the same power and not give the capability to individially controll them. also, will the BMW stock power outlet handle all 3?

I think it will work but you will not have individual control. I would not recommend going into the power outlet with that load. Run the direct-to-battery Gerbings harness. It's cheap and works great.

I just bought a used gerbings jacket liner and single controller for $100. It worked great and I loved. Its not microwire but it still worked great. I am now looking at the pant liner and socks. I have a single controller but it appears there is a place to plug the pants into the jacket liner. Will my single controller be able to power a jacket liner, pant liner and socks? or do I need to do the dual controller? I realize that with the single controller, all 3 garments would be the same power and not give the capability to individially controll them. also, will the BMW stock power outlet handle all 3?

Both the single controller and dual controller are rated for a 15A load. That's also the size fuse you should have in your Gerbing's Battery Harness, connected straight to the battery. The Jacket Liner draws 77W, the pants 44W and the socks about 17W. That's 138W, which comes out to 11.5A. That's well under 15A.

The issue with a single controller are two-fold. First, you will need the Gerbing's Y-Splitter (see photo in one of the other Gerbing's threads ---- about $10) in order to split the power to both your upper torso and lower body. Second, all heated clothing will function at the same heat level. If you can find a comfortable zone when configured that way, you're set. If you want to control both zones independently, then you will need to upgrade to the Dual Temp Controller.

Both the single controller and dual controller are rated for a 15A load. That's also the size fuse you should have in your Gerbing's Battery Harness, connected straight to the battery. The Jacket Liner draws 77W, the pants 44W and the socks about 17W. That's 138W, which comes out to 11.5A. That's well under 15A.

The issue with a single controller are two-fold. First, you will need the Gerbing's Y-Splitter (see photo in one of the other Gerbing's threads ---- about $10) in order to split the power to both your upper torso and lower body. Second, all heated clothing will function at the same heat level. If you can find a comfortable zone when configured that way, you're set. If you want to control both zones independently, then you will need to upgrade to the Dual Temp Controller.

Thanks Effbee. I have an older gerbings, one wire in and one wire out at the bottom, and of course one for each glove if I were running them. What prevents me from attaching the pants to the wire out and the socks to the pants? I do realize it would all be at the same power level. Also, if I just wanted to add socks, how long is the cord? Would I have enough to plug into the jacket directly if I werent using the pants? would I need an extension? I am looking at some older heated socks that on sale.

Thanks Effbee. I have an older gerbings, one wire in and one wire out at the bottom, and of course one for each glove if I were running them. What prevents me from attaching the pants to the wire out and the socks to the pants? I do realize it would all be at the same power level. Also, if I just wanted to add socks, how long is the cord? Would I have enough to plug into the jacket directly if I werent using the pants? would I need an extension? I am looking at some older heated socks that on sale.

Your liner is one of the earlier ones, when everything was wired on the same circuit. That's the single wire "IN" that you mention. The single wire "OUT" is exactly as you describe it. It's for the pants. And, of course, if you connect the socks to the bottom of the pants, then they also become part of the same circuit. All of this can be controlled with a single Temp Controller.

Now, let's say that with your current jacket liner you wanted to set upper-body temps different from lower-body temps. In this case, you wouldn't need the Y-Splitter with your older-style jacket liner. Instead, you would get the Dual Temp Controller and plug one power lead to the jacket, not plug the pants into the jacket's OUT lead but instead plug them in to the dual controller's second power lead. One knob on the controller would dial heat up and down for your upper body (including gloves if you had them) and the second controller knob would adjust the temp for your lower body.

Love my Gerbings stuff.

With a bit of planning in your dressing, should be no problem using the Gerbings stuff with a simple on-off switch. I've gone into the reasons in some detail in another post. For example, you might need the jacket or gloves full-blast all the time and the time-constant is so long, switching on or off every 20 minutes (if you are out that long) is no big drawback.

The controllers are bling to me, just like a lot of excess "comfort" features on some over-weight touring bikes. Nice but not essential and certainly not essential to control each of your pieces.

Ben

Archived