IGNORED

Video: engine failure

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Linky

Summary: A competitor at a tractor pull in Germany experiences a catastrophic engine failure. Link takes you to an article with a picture and a video. I'm not sure I believe "200 pounds of boost", but halfway through the video it becomes apparent that however much boost he's using is too much: the crankcase splits in two and becomes airborne (in a big way) with the manifolds. Wow.

Tractor pulls in Germany. Who wooda thunk it. Wonder if they have monster trucks also.

----

My thougths exactly....who would have thunk that Germany had rednecks??!!

Caption;

.....in early testing for the new K1600 series of motorcycles....

....as can clearly be seen by the video, this motorcycle rider hasn't a clue how to operate such a finely engineered piece of machinery.....

....we've never heard of this before.......(OK, I'll actually buy that one this time around!)

ShovelStrokeEd

I don't believe the 200 lbs of boost either but I do believe 50. Alcohol dragsters in this country typically run that level of boost. They would run higher but the losses associated with driving a roots style blower overcome any gain from the additional boost.

This type of engine failure is not uncommon in drag racing where the engines are run under full load for no more than 6 seconds. 4 seconds for top fuel. It doesn't really take much, a broken intake valve will do it nicely. I have seen blowers 200 feet in the air, easy.

Tractor pulls in Germany. Who wooda thunk it. Wonder if they have monster trucks also.

----

It sounds like the announcer is speaking Dutch, not German. :lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday

----

It sounds like the announcer is speaking Dutch, not German. :lurk:

:dopeslap:

You are correct, I think. Looks like the event was held in Zwolle, Netherlands.

Bet he's glad that piece of the block went forward!

Half to kind of laugh at the punny little fire rig they showed up with though!

Joe Frickin' Friday
Half to kind of laugh at the punny little fire rig they showed up with though!

No doubt; the hose he was using looked like it was made for dispensing drinking water.

----

When I lived in Germany during the 80's, we used to see them quite often. Monster trucks had not come into the lime light at that time, but I'm sure they are shown now also. The shows we used to see were professional drivers who travelled all over the world and not locals.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I don't believe the 200 lbs of boost either but I do believe 50.

4 staged turbos.

15psi * 1.9(c/r) ** 4 = 200psi

Sure, you can generate 200 psi of boost, but it's hard to believe that an engine would tolerate that much boost for even an instant.

I don't believe the 200 lbs of boost either but I do believe 50.

4 staged turbos.

15psi * 1.9(c/r) ** 4 = 200psi

Sure, you can generate 200 psi of boost, but it's hard to believe that an engine would tolerate that much boost for even an instant.

That would be apparent from the video.

But, theoretically, there's no limit to how much boost you can pump into a diesel. It's the mechanical limitations that cause problems.

Diesel pulling tractors can and do hit 200+ LBS of boost, they do have lowered compression to the point of begin hard to start to deal with it. multiple turbos, multiple intercoolers, power adders like nitrous, propane etc. as high tech as any racing engine anywhere and every bit as expensive!

Several have squandered their inheritance and lost or almost lost farms over it.

Nothing like going fast real slow.

One bright orange turbo, then one orange, one bright red and then one Red as they harvest the heat energy of the exhaust.

Rod

Archived