IGNORED

Dead battery and other MX questions

redryder

This past week I had need to work on two of my cages and since the weather was cold, it didn't take time out of my riding schedule. Problem is, while working in the garage, I turned my XM radio on the RT to listen to Bob and Ray on the comedy channel while working. My one day project turned into a three day project, but the radio made the time fly by. Then, on Friday I went to take the RT for a ride, but alas, my battery was so dead (new Odyssey) that it wouldn't even grunt; nor would it let the bike start when I rolled it down the hill. (Note to self: don't roll your 600+ pound bike down the hill when no one is around to help you push it back up the hill. Makes you look stupid in front of the neighbors) Now since this is purely a by product of my own stupidity, I can't really get mad at anyone other than myself. But the question is: Isn't there a remote charging/jumper box that came on the 04s and is available for retrofit to my 02 RT? If so, does anyone know the part number?

Now that I have the bike disassembled for the batter charge, I have decided to go ahead and tackle the annual and 36K service myself. I'll be attempting the brake bleed for the first time, armed of course with hard copies of the very useful tips from this site and the BMW service manual. For the brake bleed, what part(s) do I need other than the "funnel thingy"? Do I need a new resevoir cap to modify, or do I buy one already modified? Again, part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, where is a good source for speed bleeders? And if anyone has had good or bad experiences ordering via internet/phone with dealers, I would appreciate that input as well.

I appreciate all the input and look forward to getting my bike back on the road.

perhaps you might want to look at this battery charger. 99990005656.jpg it plugs directly into the Power sockets on the RT or any other bmw bike for that matter. As far as jump starting the bike......i have seen some products out there, you might be a able to take one of those jump start stand alone units for a car and install a bmw plug on it so you can just plug it in a start it. I know someone other people on here have some answer for you. Just my input.

Archived