IGNORED

Camel Back

Powers77

I'd like to have one for high heat travel.

When in the sporting goods store yesterday I was seeing various "model" options from $40-$100.

What seems to work the best? Think I'd like something that could do double duty on a hike, so possibly a minimalist back pack type?

Can one be worn over riding gear?

Yes, my Camel Back fits over gear, as does my wife's. We have the day pack style, but they block more air and make your back hot than the non-pack versions.

I liked it a lot for dirt biking, as I carried stuff in it. But not so much for street where I would prefer to maximize ventilation. In other words, I think I would prefer a minimal, non pack version.

If you are wearing a full face helmet, make sure that the mouth piece will fit in properly. There are at least two mouth piece designs.

We recently got an off brand of the non-pack type at a big box store and they have an awful taste. I would stick with Camel Back after that experience.

My wife has had issues with mold in her Camel Back bladder, but it is 4-5 years old. I would say to store them dry, with the hose removed, the mouth piece removed, and the lid open.

I have a HydraPak I bought from Cycle Gear. Same type deal. I use it a lot in the heat when my ride it going to be more than a couple of hours. Anything shorter, I just stop.

I fill it as full of ice as I can and add the beverage of choice; usually Gatorade or water. As the ice melts you will have more liquid. It also helps cool my back. I keep the byte tube in my mouth pretty much the whole time. A trick you will learn is when you finish sipping, blow it back or the next drink will be as hot as the ambient temperature.

When I stop for fuel I make sure I stop at a place that sells drinks and ice. If you buy someting from them they will let you fill it with ice again.

I think I paid about $40 on sale.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I use the one with gelpack ice on one side of it. For temps upwards of 100, it just blocks too much airflow over my back with a mesh jacket. I got stuck in freeway traffic once and had to slip it off the back and onto my lap just to get a little air (110F). Really too hot to ride.

For marathon rides that start in the dark, I just freeze it about 90 percent full and use it later and a bottle in the tank bag in the interim.

I strap my camel back to the pillon seat with roc straps instead of wearing it on my back. I use one of those retracting cables you use on ID badges to manage the hose. $3.95 for two at office depot. I have a camel back and had a hydrapak, both work well.

I have a couple bladder I put in the tank bag for riding water. A 3/4 liter and a 1 1/2 liter. The wide mouth units work well for loading with ice and cold water from fast food places.

I just got a Wenzel 2 liter back pack for hiking.

I would not want to have the water bladder on my back or in a jacket while riding. That's why I put them in the tank bag. They stay cold very long time too.

I've traded bite valves from one to another. Some bite valves are truly POS.

I have a camelbak that I use over riding gear, over both leather and Darien, with and withou liner. There is enough adjustablity in them to allow an excellent fit. For warm/hot weather their is an added kit to insulate the drinking tube, still recomment blow contents back to bag before drinking. (Don't share camelbaks.)

I read somewhere once to put a used bladder in the freezer to prevent mold. Whenever I get done with mine I drain the bladder/hose as best as possible then put it in the freezer. I also add some water the night before I go riding with it so I will have one nice sized ice block in the bladder when I leave.

Powers, Since you live in Vegas you should get the largest one possible. I carry a 100 oz camelbak mule and I am often out of water before getting to my next gas stop when in the desert. Most gas stations will give you free ice if you ask, esp. in the desert (my experience). I fill the bag with ice then water. Sometimes it still gets warm before I drink it all...

Always wear it over gear. The backpack features let you carry a wallet and camera and snacks for hiking.

Haven't used one on the RT, but use a Camelback brand one on summer bicycle rides. I usually fill it up with ice cubes and water. The water stays cold-cool for a couple hours even on hottest days. Will have to try it on RT.

When on a trip away from home and unable to properly dry the bladder I too empty it best I can and stash it in the freezer. Works very well.

Mine has the insulated drinking tube as well. Not sure what model it is. It's old and you probably wouldn't find it anyway. Works great and I take it along our our hikes for hydration. Try to find one with the insulated hose. It does make a difference.

+1 on the Camelbak bladder in the tank bag, not a pack on the back. I use the 40-45 oz wide mouth, plenty good for one tank of gas. Regarding the insulated hose: before taking a drink blow the water in the hose into the bladder, then suck out cool water...no insulation needed. Add ice at the gas station. I just get some from the fountain drink station, and use their water, too. I always ask if it's okay, no one has ever turned me down.

I read somewhere once to put a used bladder in the freezer to prevent mold. Whenever I get done with mine I drain the bladder/hose as best as possible then put it in the freezer. I also add some water the night before I go riding with it so I will have one nice sized ice block in the bladder when I leave.

I use Camelbacks all the time when I dirt bike. Some guys like to fill them and put them in the freezer, but I tried that once and it split the seam of the bladder. To get rid of the funk and the mold, clean it with a mild solution of warm water and a capfull of bleach. Rinse well. Also, Camelback sells a brush to clean the tube, which collects the biggest amount of funk.

Cris

Archived