IGNORED

Our local builder

dhanson

Very cool! Not my style, but still very nice indeed.

Things should not necessarily need to be as you would prefer them to be appreciated. Just sayin'.

I am a cafe bike guy, and that, that is NO cafe bike. That thing is confused.

The seat and headlights want to be a vintage Indian Chief, but the tank want to be a Toaster bike, the exhaust wants to be a Norton, and the overall bike wants to be a streetfighter....Im dizzy.

No 2 snaps up, but a..."hated it" from me. JMHO tho.

Nekked, street fighter, or cafe racer. S1000RR slightly modified.

Built by "Steve Culp".

rightside.JPG

Steve's blog: BMW RedRiver Riders

I predict that - in 3 years - BMWNA will issue a press release declaring that their best-selling model.

RESIZED__WIDTH_GREATER_BMW_R1200C_C.jpg

I am a cafe bike guy, and that, that is NO cafe bike. That thing is confused.

The seat and headlights want to be a vintage Indian Chief, but the tank want to be a Toaster bike, the exhaust wants to be a Norton, and the overall bike wants to be a streetfighter....Im dizzy.

No 2 snaps up, but a..."hated it" from me. JMHO tho.

I agree, it's NOT a cafe bike, but it IS an interesting streetfighter custom with a 'mix' (as you correctly point out) different design cues.

Not my cuppa tea, but I'd certainly spend time looking at it and admiring the builder's crafstmanship and artistic taste.

T

I also like to chime in after reading some of your honest opinions about this beast.

I've been only on motorbikes for ~30 years so I am young ..considering, so here it goes.

My initial look: UgLy as Hell.

After a careful look, it is horribly mismatched, as it iwas stated earlier.

Ok, picking it apart.

Japanese looking inline 4 engine, looks a lot like a yamaha engine.

Black radiator shroud look like it came off a Harley Dynaglide.

Yellow high performance front forks SAY JaPanise sport bike.

The single seat with a leather curtain.- NO clue there.

Gas tank and fenders = old BMW

Rear swing arm: HEY, it is from my 2007 yamaha FZ1 or R1.

Mufflers - scream = kawasai GP750 or honda CB500

And finally the 4 headlamps on the front and a puny tail light throws it way off balance.

One thing that would complete this bike would be a tall ape hanger handle bar springer front end and a gient OCC (orange county chopper) sticker.

Sorry, but to me it looks horrible. :(

It reminds me of the movie 'Twins" with DDvito and Arnie as the result of some weird experiment. Either that or a Harley thug bike and a Triumph Speed Triple raped a perfectly innocent Bavarian lass, and this is what she gave birth to.

Linz :)

Maybe it's the new "po-lease" model? Looks like there's room for a couple more lights up front. I hope this poor bike was totaled out and this is just the remains. It would be a shame to mess up a real bike to make this .....

Cheers

Steve

How about some early sportster, tall buckhorn bars? Then you have a completely confused bike.

WHY is the best question I have read in regard to this bike.

It appears they have a name for this type of customizing. Steampunk

It's all good! :thumbsup:

Pat

Bingo! Pat nailed it . that's what it is.

And for that ( steampunk), this bike is cool!

It is funny however, because my 14 years old daughter and I just had a conversation about this - steam punk, in a usual daddy-daughter way while driving to school. Something like this.

she mentioned steam punk. I said What is that?

Sh said: OMG DADDY...You don't know what steam punk is? you are so OLD. :)

Some people go all out and decorate their entire house in that fashion. Example would be a and old coal fired boiler cut open and a latest giant LED flat screen TV inside of it in the living room.

A much better explanation on wikipidia.

wiki-steampunk

Sorry about the side track but had to let it out.

So yeah..the bike can be cool.. ;)

Or here is BMW already made steampunk bike ( located in the builder's, Steve's own blog)

smokies2.jpg

I get the steampunk movement, kind of a melding of cafe and streetfighter styles. A blend of old and new.

But I think this BMW misses that mark personally.

I respect and appreciate the amount of time and work that went into this BMW, and it is very original for sure. But it just has too many conflicting styles and concepts for me.

It misses the COOL factor for me. No offense meant to its builder. JMHO

Sorry, but none of the bikes shown really embody the steampunk aesthetic.

In the motorcycle daily article, the goldtone valve covers and clutch cover along with the pipes are the only vaguely thematic elements. Otherwise, it's just a modern cafe racer.

And the BMW here has nothing clockwork or Victorian about it. The retro is only 1950s.

By contrast, check this out: steampunk chopper

Hat's off to the bold design.Not all of us have the resourse and courage to build something they want to. Although unusual I appreciate the work invested into this unique machine. I bet you can spank a few ney sayers with that creation. They stop snikering at those fringes as you do a rolling burnout wheelie from 60mph. Bravo!

Now this chopper, while completely not my asthetic, is cohesive in concept and idea. Very creative and different. Unlike the first BMW in this thread it looks the part all the way through.

It appears . . .

Or here is BMW already made steampunk bike ( located in the builder's, Steve's own blog)

smokies2.jpg

'steampunk' to some, 'F-ugly' to others, but for me; the R1200C is rolling sculpture.

I agree, it is rolling sculpure. Before purchasing my first BMW, I did a lot of research on these beauties, and decided to buy an RT. But I still like them.

• 1 month later...

Archived