IGNORED

Rough idle/burp/cough/wheeeze.... 1100rt

wedgeman

Have been having a minor problem for some time with my Rbike, since before the saga with my local shop chopping up my wiring harness...

Basically it's started a fwe months ago.. 96 1100rt.. about 68K on the clock (or near that)... regular oil & filters and valves....

when idling cool/cold, it is always on the verge of dying... when idling warm it occasionally burps/coughs heavily when I touch the throttle.. A little accelleration and it might just choke on me.

If I get acceleration going a bit it's quite fine, all the way to redline....

Where should I look?? Dealer just did plugs this week while it was in the shop. That didnt help.. they checked the coil as well. fuel pressure showed good on their checks..

Other thoughts??

I had similar symptoms on my RT. But I also had an intermittent loss of some power when traveling at > 70 mph in 4th or 5th gear, like the bike was being fuel starved.

After asking around on this board, I decided to change the fuel filter. There was a night and day difference and I haven't had a problem since.

I had similar symptoms on my RT. But I also had an intermittent loss of some power when traveling at > 70 mph in 4th or 5th gear, like the bike was being fuel starved.

After asking around on this board, I decided to change the fuel filter. There was a night and day difference and I haven't had a problem since.

Good point.. I'm about 30,000 miles past due on a fuel filter.. dopeslap.gifcrazy.gif

Anybody know right off where I can find that write-up on modifying your tank/filter system to have the filter OUTSIDE the tank? Call me lazy, but I'm all about not pulling down a fuel tank to do a stupid filter....

Good point.. I'm about 30,000 miles past due on a fuel filter.. dopeslap.gifcrazy.gif

Anybody know right off where I can find that write-up on modifying your tank/filter system to have the filter OUTSIDE the tank? Call me lazy, but I'm all about not pulling down a fuel tank to do a stupid filter....

David,

Here is a great place to start. http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

Two questions on your rough idle, what is your normal warm idle RPM? Should be at least 1050.

Do you still have the stock CCP installed? Do you notice it gets rough as soon as the engine reaches about 2 bars?

Mick

David,

Here is a great place to start. http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

Two questions on your rough idle, what is your normal warm idle RPM? Should be at least 1050.

Do you still have the stock CCP installed? Do you notice it gets rough as soon as the engine reaches about 2 bars?

Mick

mick,

thx.. it's WORSE untill I've hit 2 bars oon the temp..

What is the CCP?

Normal warm idle is around 1k dunno exactly.. it tends to burp and cough too much down there to know well....

Just tried something during an excursion across town a few min's go...

1. I rolled up to a red light (a pretty normal-length light).. just let it idle the whole time. THhen when it turned green, i dropped it into 1st and as soon as I touched the throttle the bike died. burp... Restart just fine, and away I went...

2. next light. rolled up, let it idle a second, but no longer.. dropped in neutral, then constantly varied the throttle.. idle,back up, back down.. Harley-esque.. no rev's--just constantly up & down... Light goes green, drop to idle drop to 1st, drop clutch, no problems...

Did this 10-15 times.. if I never let it idle long, it could handle a TEMPORARY idle without any issue. But a susstained idle and it's in trouble....

thoughts??

BTW: thx for all the help and the site.. you guys rawk...

thx.. it's WORSE untill I've hit 2 bars oon the temp..

What is the CCP?

The CCP is the Cat Code Plug. It selects one of 4 or 5 programs in the Motronic based on what country you are in and what model bike you have.

Normal warm idle is around 1k dunno exactly.. it tends to burp and cough too much down there to know well....

I agree with Ken, the TPS voltage is suspect for sure.

What I would recommend is a valve adjustment and a throttle sync but before syncing the TB's check the TPS voltage. I set mine (and several others) to 0.385V between pins 1&4 on the TPS connector, ignition on, engine off. Blip the throttle a few times to ensure you have a good steady 0.385V resting on the idle stops.

Next I would do a TB sync and raise the idle to 1,100 or 1,150RPM. If you don't notice any real surging, I'd say leave the throttle stops alone for now (0=0 may come later) frown.gif

Report back. smile.gif

Mick

What is the CCP?

The CCP is the Cat Code Plug. It selects one of 4 or 5 programs in the Motronic based on what country you are in and what model bike you have.

So do I have to change plugs when I drive up to Canaduh?? I always knew there was something weird in the electricity up there in Kannoookistan.... cool.gif

Archived