IGNORED

Cut The Cord and Have Gone Wireless (Bluetooth)

marcopolo

Add me to the list of those who have moved to wireless bluetooth intercoms. I have been using an Autocom since 2007 and it has worked as advertised. But given that both my wife and I are buying new helmets (both Shoei Qwests), I thought it was time we gave Bluetooth a whirl (I didn't particularly feel like moving the headsets to the new lids and my wife wanted to ditch the wires). After reading reviews and posts here, there and everywhere, I settled on the Sena SMH10. It's WebBikeWorld's favourite at the moment and it's also the only one (that I could find at least) which has a headset available (as an accessory) which will easily allow me to plug in my Arizona Al in-ear monitors. I ordered the Sena from RocketMoto.com, which seems to be the favourite source for the gang over at AdvRider.com. Given we're still in the middle of winter, I really won't be able to give it a true test for a while, but look forward to doing so. Even though the Sena has been out for less than a year, a "dual pack", which was selling not that long ago for $399, can now be had for $239. That's not that big of an investment if it doesn't work out. I also like the fact that it comes with a cord which allows you to plug it in and charge it on the bike while still using it. Normally, I'd charge it through an AC outlet at home, or in a motel, but it's nice to have the option. This reminds me that I will miss the bike-powered Autocom (not that I'm removing it from my RT), but what's one more thing to recharge in the motel room?

I have been contemplating this as well. I had my first experience pairing the iPhone to a rental car bluetooth system recently (none of my cars are that new) and was surprised how easy it was to configure and use, at least on a Toyota vehicle system.

I wonder how this system handles multiple layered apps, for instance, if you are using an iPhone Nav app with voice direction features and utilizing the iPod music function simultaneously, will you be able to receive a call and then go back to the iPod and Nav app functions again automatically when the call completes? The loss of GMRS radio capability/range for B2B comms certainly would be a trade off. My Nav 2 has bitten the dust and lacks bluetooth capability anyhow.

I am awaiting iPhone users experience before pulling the trigger but I will be cutting the cord at some point this year. My used Autocom Pro-7, which has functioned flawlessly for GPS voice, kenwood GMRS, XM and cell (prior to iPhone that is) will be in the classifieds at some point...

There are lots of stories re Sena and how it works with iPhones over at AdvRider.com. Just look either in the Gear section, or the Vendors section (searching for Sena SMH10).

BluegrassPicker

got a Sena a couple of weeks ago. It is awesome.

I am replacing my autocom when its warm enough to shovel my way to my bike ...

In response to:

Poster: marcopolo

Subject: Re: Cut The Cord and Have Gone Wireless (Bluetooth)

Add me to the list of those who have moved to wireless bluetooth intercoms. I have been using an Autocom since 2007 and it has worked as advertised. But given that both my wife and I are buying new helmets (both Shoei Qwests), I thought it was time we gave Bluetooth a whirl (I didn't particularly feel like moving the headsets to the new lids and my wife wanted to ditch the wires). After reading reviews and posts here, there and everywhere, I settled on the Sena SMH10. It's WebBikeWorld's favourite at the moment and it's also the only one (that I could find at least) which has a headset available (as an accessory) which will easily allow me to plug in my Arizona Al in-ear monitors. I ordered the Sena from RocketMoto.com, which seems to be the favourite source for the gang over at AdvRider.com. Given we're still in the middle of winter, I really won't be able to give it a true test for a while, but look forward to doing so. Even though the Sena has been out for less than a year, a "dual pack", which was selling not that long ago for $399, can now be had for $239. That's not that big of an investment if it doesn't work out. I also like the fact that it comes with a cord which allows you to plug it in and charge it on the bike while still using it. Normally, I'd charge it through an AC outlet at home, or in a motel, but it's nice to have the option. This reminds me that I will miss the bike-powered Autocom (not that I'm removing it from my RT), but what's one more thing to recharge in the motel room?

I'm interested in purchasing the dual pack. Do they have online ordering?

In response to:

Poster: marcopolo

Subject: Re: Cut The Cord and Have Gone Wireless (Bluetooth)

I'm interested in purchasing the dual pack. Do they have online ordering?

No. Just phone the toll-free number on their website.

+1 Sena here as well.

Comms are single channel at a time, i.e. no party line. So you can only speak to one rider at a time. You tell the unit which rider you want to talk to by hitting the jog dial one, two or three taps. Synchs with the cell phones as well if you get way out of range.

JOHNNYWISHBONE

no mention of the schuberth setup. that helmet is really light. that price is really heavy. i'll probably get one after my april 15mauling.

If going Bluetooth is something you're contemplating, give us a call. We'll help you sort out whether a completely wireless system will meet your expectations, or not.

We sell more Sena Bluetooth headsets than anyone else on the planet, and have over ten years of experience with Autocom, and three years with Starcom1 - so we can put things into context that will make sense for you.

Oh, yeah... online ordering coming soon - target date is Feb 22.

I figure if NASA still uses wires, I can to.

And NASCAR, Formula1, MotoGP, Indy Car, Aviation, etc....

There are a lot of reasons to use bluetooth, however you give up a lot of capability to cut one cord.

I figure if NASA still uses wires, I can to.

And NASCAR, Formula1, MotoGP, Indy Car, Aviation, etc....

There are a lot of reasons to use bluetooth, however you give up a lot of capability to cut one cord.

Yup, there are always tradeoffs, but in my case I still have my Autocom installed on the bike and I have my Autocom headset-equipped helmet in reserve (as my third helmet). Like I said, for $239 for two Sena headsets, it would not be a costly mistake if we decide we don't like them.

That said, perhaps you have a natural bias towards Autocom, being an Autocom importer after all.

Well yes, I'm biased to my product line, but I know that it's not the right answer for everyone. Riders looking for a simple intercom or two to three rider bike to bike system will probably be very happy with BT. I just recommend that everybody do some research to understand everything they will lose when using a bluetooth system. A wired (not just Autocom) system gives you the flexibility from a connection standpoint that BT (at this time) cannot.

Mark - I had a quick read on the Sena's. It's not clear to me if they are a good choice for open face helmets. Have you read any feedback on this?

Tnx.

Mark - I had a quick read on the Sena's. It's not clear to me if they are a good choice for open face helmets. Have you read any feedback on this?

Tnx.

I think I saw something somewhere (might have been one of the installation videos on Sena's website) about ensuring the mic is under the shield, but I think that would be true of any microphone with an open face helmet.

I am doing the opposite.

Getting rid of the scala Q2 bluetooth and installing an autocom.

My reason is I wanted the multi connection: radar detector, mp3, phone + plus rider-to-passenger and if needed family-walkie talkie GMRS, which offers a greater distance bike to bike or multiple bikes (group) connection, or car to bike if needed.

Last but not least connection to CB(portable handheld), when riding with my goldwing buddy(factory installed CB on those beasts).

I am also not a big fan of radio frequency emitting device being next to the brain for hours on end on a long trip.

What is the RF output of a bluetooth when communicating bike to bike on a 1/4 mile distance?

My neighbor and I got Sena's over the summer and absolutely love them.

I was riding home one day, stopped at a light when I see my neighbor barrel through the light from the other direction making a right turn. He was probably 1/8-1/4 mile ahead of me when I remembered the Sena's. I hit the big knob and seconds later called his name. He replies, "I wonder why my music stopped". So, I ended up catching up to him and we conversated on the way home.

I do like how it has a multiple sync with it and actually prioritizes certain things.

What is the RF output of a bluetooth when communicating bike to bike on a 1/4 mile distance?

Class 1 max is 100mW. That is 1/5th the power of a typical cell phone. Bluetooth is higher frequency than cell phones, so the power will not penetrate as deeply. I think your brain will be ok. If the antenna was very close to your skin (like touching), then a very minor burn (red mark) might result.

That is comforting....

Bluetooth is 2.4Ghz, isn't it?

But isn't Class 1 rated at 10 meters (like a normal cell phone bluetooth)?

Sena rated up to 900 meters so can it be only 100mW?

Also I've been reading through SENA spec sheets and none list it as Class 1.

I was a the NYC bike show yesterday and talked to a number of BT vendors. My genreal assessment was that these systems gave about 4 hours of talk time and 50 hours of standby time. Talk time included playing music and talking. Recharge time ran from a little over 2 hours to about 4 hours.

What I translated this to mean is that for longer rides you would run out of capability after 4 hours if you had music on. If you had a passenger and did not do a lot of speaking to each other the battery would last longer. If you had radar &/or a GPS wired in the battery would have to accommodate this/these power requirements and the BT units battery life would then be affected.

So, two of the consideraitons for BT or wired would seem to be the type of riding you do and the intended use of a com system. Short rides with or without a passenger could sustain a BT system. Longer rides and touring would seem to indicate a wired system with constant power.

Is this a valid approach to this quesiton?

Depends on what you want out of it. I'm wired, don't even know it is there. Until Bluetooth can last all day streaming mp3, gps,and my phone, I will stay wired. I love it.

I'm not dealing with charging batteries on ride.

That is just me.

Up to you.

Terry

There are quite a few threads over at ADVRider.com from people who have actually done a fair bit of riding with BT intercoms. If they're to be believed, they get much more than 2-4 hrs. Total time depends, of course, on how you're using it/them. Although I received my Sena intercoms a few days ago and installed them today in our (mine and my wife's) new Shoei Qwest helmets, we won't be able to give them a proper test for a while, given the weather. For now, it's just trying the intercom and phone functions in the house. Having had Autocom since 2007, there's no question that a hard-wired system has advantages, no charging being one of them. The Senas do come with a power cord that allows you to charge the unit on the bike while continuing to use it. That's in addition to the normal wall charger.

One of the plusses of the Sena is that you can charge it while riding. It also produces good sound and volume. Problem is that there is no way to connect everything I want and rider and passenger can't listen to the same audio source.

...Problem is that there is no way to connect everything I want and rider and passenger can't listen to the same audio source.

The only way I know of for both rider and passenger to listen to the same music source on the Sena is to have one person (let's say the passenger) listening to the music by plugging the player into their Sena with the supplied cable, while the rider listens to that same player via Bluetooth (this obviously assumes the music player is Bluetooth capable). I don't think we'd ever do this, for one because my wife doesn't care to listen to music while riding (even on our cross-continent rides, and -- even while crossing Kansas!).

I think BT is a bit buggy at this point or at least the one I have used, Scala Cardo Q2. This unit did cut off( goes to sleep) in mid conversation at low speeds. Or it has stayed ON all the time if riding at high speed wit a rider of less wind protected( helmet noise) and you are listening to wind until you just turn off the system or the batteries die.

Other time the pair just un-coupled it self from each other and required repairing or re booting.

Here is a very good article with user feedback and ideas.

linky --( CLICK ME)

The second paragraph "See the wBW Motorcycle Intercoms Page for a...." list some interesting new features.

It list a hybrid system where you still have a wired hub to connect your sources (gps radar mp3) then the unit transmits it via BT to the helmet.

It also talks about newer systems that share sources or some BT even broadcast source (such as music ) to other BT headsets.

PS:

I just read some review of the SCALA G4 (latest) BT set. review are good with one problem

"The other problem is that like others, the VOX sensitivity at speed is way too low. When we had the Q2’s we found that a simple blow or puff into the mic would activate VOX, but with the G4’s that doesn’t work and even shouting most of the time doesn’t do it either.Cardo basically acknowledges there is a problem but they currently have no fix. I’m banking on an update in the future to fix the VOX sensitivity issue."

I like to ask the SENA users to report back here with your experience how the VOX featurew works at different speeds on a SENA model.

thank you

[quote=3Putt

The dramatic price drop on the SENA has me thinking a new version is coming out. Has anyone heard this? The one knock I've got about it is size.

I thought exactly the same thing about the price drop, but as you might expect no one would confirm that. I decided to take the plunge regardless, given a pair of these was "just" $239. I wondered about the size too, but after having installed them yesterday, they don't look as big "in the flesh" as they do in photos, for whatever reason. There's no question, though, the jog dial is the way to go. Very intuitive and easy to use. I've set mine up to use in-ear monitors, so have no speakers/wires in my helmet. My gut impression before I give it a real road test is that the Autocom delivers better quality sound, but the Sena will trump it for convenience. The real question will be how important the convenience factor is. For my wife it was important. She was no fan of getting on the bike then fumbling to plug in her Autocom headset. For me, that was not a concern, and I still have the option of using my Autocom any time I want.

I think you will enjoy it.

I've been using the SENA unit since last year and had a few people check it out at last years UN. If I'm going to be riding 8 hours or less I use the included helmet speakers while wearing ear plugs, they're that good (behind the RT's fairing). I plug in the audio chord from my IPOD touch, that has a remote installed, mate up with my phone and am now completely free of any bike interface. If I wish to preserve battery life I run my AZ Al plugs from the IPOD w/remote, mate up the phone to my GPS and I'm good for ALL day, well at least 16 hours or a 1000 miles; still free of any connections to the bike.

The unit first looked large to me but after using it while riding I appreciate the size of the volume wheel and toggle button at the back, it's a very user friendly unit. I mostly ride alone so I can't speak to multi user issues.

Archived