IGNORED

road conditions to Death Valley

onedae

I might be riding to DV from LA last minute this weekend. Anyone know the road conditions on SR190 east from Olancha into DV? There is some elevation on that road and I am concerned about snow and/or black ice. I prefer going to DV that way as opposed to coming in through Trona and SR178, but if it's dicey I will avoid the elevation.

Any insight appreciated.

Caltrans says there are no warnings for it. Last year we had about the same weather, maybe a little cooler and it was beautiful. Meet us up in Lancaster at 10:30am, or pm me for some company thru wla.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Came down wildrose canyon today so I didn't do the section from Panamint Valley over the pass on 190 but if they're getting those big ole motorhomes over the pass, you'll be fine.

Middle of the day should be no worries- we came thru Ridgecrest , Trona then went over Wildrose. As posted in another thread, there was about 1/4 mile of snow and ice on top through the shady section- rest of the road was dry and dusty. We came over in the 4 wheeler- would not recommend that fairly small section for 2 wheels- it was quite slick.

190 should be ok. Watch the shady sections..

See ya here in Beatty!!

Heck & the Missus

Just got back from DV Tuesday. Roads dry but Dantes Peak closed. Got waned off by Ranger! Was 25F at breakfast time last week end but warmed during day to around 50F. Stayed at Longstreet Motel in Amagosa Valley.

Just got back from DV Tuesday. Roads dry but Dantes Peak closed. Got warned off by Ranger! Was 25F at breakfast time last week end but warmed during day to around 50F. Stayed at Longstreet Motel in Amagosa Valley.

Archived