IGNORED

Map Source app for smart phones

johnlt

DaveTheAffable

I'm assuming you mean THE Garmin Application. Not just "GPS for SmartPhone".

There are a gazillion converter apps out there. ie, use this to convert that so that this map can display on that device, etc.

But to date, Garmin has not re-written the actual MapSource to run on an iPhone, Droid, etc.

What ya hoping to do?

Dave, I just got this Droid X and am learning to use it. I currently take a little Netbook with me on the bike to do some routing in Mapsource then download the routes and waypoints into my Zumo for the next day. The google maps on the Droid seem fine but and I assume I can do some routing using the Navigation app but don't know if there is any converter that will allow me to download the routes and waypoints directly into my Zumo from the Droid. I know many don't like Mapsource but I've gotten used to it after 5+ years and it is easy for me to use. Maybe I'm wishing for too much

NAVIGON! I have the latest iPhone and bought the Navigon App on the strength of a review on another Board. In my opinion, it's amazing (of course, I think running water and electricity are amazing). Not perfect but amazing.

I currently own 3 Garmins including a Nav II and a 660. I am very familiar with Garmin and was a very early adopter. I have not had serious issues issues with Garmin BUT, this Navigon is, by comparison and for the money, truly amazing.

Its visual display (while limited by size of the phone) is stunning. The graphics in 3D are outstanding. The voice quality is loud, it's blue tooth, easily mounts on both bikes with a simple ram mount and can be powered by a cigarette lighter or Canbus plug. It synchs with all my other apps on the phone. For example, if I have someone's address on my phone (which is where I keep all my contacts) it will guide me to their address simply by clicking a button. Much better and faster than the Google app on the phone. If I look up a diner in another town on my 'around me' app, it will guide me there too. Fully synched. My iTunes music library is already on my phone and the quality of the recording is much better than on the Garmin.

Of course, all commands for the phone and music functions are voice activated and work seamlessly with Navigon. I have a Sena and the phone pairs easily and once paired, the Navigon app just takes over. I have mine set to over-ride music, B to B, and phone calls. The menu of customizable options is very long and complete.

The price was $59 and so far, upgrades have been free.

Downside? It's little. Don't take it swimming. It drinks the battery pretty fast (so keep it charged while riding)

I will be selling my Nav II and mounts and maybe the 660 (my kid has her eyes on that one)

CruisinCruzan

Problem with the Garmin app as I understand it is that it will only work if you have a cell signal. Does the Navigon download the maps into the cell phone so it can be used like a regular GPS via satellite signals? Hi Steve enjoying the non-CNY werather?

Getting back on topic; I want a route planning tool I can download the results to my Zumo. The Google maps app is fine if I want to use the DROID X for the GPS.

NAVIGON is also available for Android devices. Based on your enthusiastic review, I'm a tiny bit closer to (but still pretty far from) a smartphone.

The key question for me is 'Can you create a multi-point route?'

Even something like "goto podunk, then anytown, then nexttown, then home" would be worth thinking about.

Until one of the Android apps provides a way to do this easily, I'll stick with MapSource. I almost always choose the long way 'round and I would love to do that on an Android device.

Yes, the Navigon is functional wherever I have been -- either using a phone signal or an internet connection. It's an AT&T connection which as you know, is a bit iffy but I have not yet encountered a lost signal. I don't know if it works off a satellite signal.

Yes, you can do multi-point routes.

CruisinCruzan -- Asheville is great! Little snow compared to what I was used to and many more sunny days. Coming to the UnRally in August? Right up the road.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the Navigon is functional wherever I have been -- either using a phone signal or an internet connection. It's an AT&T connection which as you know, is a bit iffy but I have not yet encountered a lost signal. I don't know if it works off a satellite signal.

Yes, you can do multi-point routes.

CruisinCruzan -- Asheville is great! Little snow compared to what I was used to and many more sunny days. Coming to the UnRally in August? Right up the road.

The Navigon app for Android downloads a map set to your device's memory (said to be 1-2 GB), and then, so far as I can see, no longer needs a data connection of any type for basic function. Just uses the gps after that. I assume a data connection is needed for live traffic updates.

I was interested in the product, and just received an email response to some questions.

I asked:

1. Are map and poi updates included? For how long? How much are updates after the initial period?

and received the following prompt response:

Regarding your concern, at this time there are no map updates available as it is a new product.

That was the complete response to the questions above. You can reach your own conclusions.

The rest of my correspondence was about migration if you upgrade your phone. Apparently if you can document a repair or replacement for defect they will let you reinstall. Get a new phone and you will need to buy the product again.

Archived