IGNORED

How to bring the four legged one along for the ride?

SpaceKing

Seeing the wealth of knowledge and experience on this data base, I need some advice and creative thinking on how to bring my dog along on my rides. At 75 pounds he is too big for a box on the back seat, and a side car is out of the question. I am considering a one wheel trailer and modifying it so that he is comfortable in there, covered to avoid excessive wind and ventilated. My one concern is that those one wheelers are light, unsuspended and therefore bumpy. Anybody out there bring their large dog along for the ride? How do you do it? I hate the car but I hate leaving him behind even more. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Beno

ShovelStrokeEd

Leave the pooch at home.

Why would you subject him to all the added danger? He never did anything to you.

You want to take him for a ride in your car? Fine, in a portable kennel or restrained in the back seat. Ditto on the back of a truck. On a bike? No.

He is ill prepared to deal with the leaning and bouncing around he'll get in a trailer, not to mention the increased chance of being involved in a rear end collision or what will happen to the poor beast if you lose it in a curve.

My clever solution is nothing. Don't take the dog.

I have to agree with Ed. If you love him, leave him home and safe. I have read too many stories of pooches popping out of their bike carriers when unexpected bumps occur.

We did take Sparky out for rides, but only on 4 wheels (actually 6), and only while wearing appropriate protective gear!

Tom

589941-mini-SparkyFTc.jpg.cd304f2d0c7450d8866f08d7813c6ae4.jpg

Another, I agree with Ed. I have been to many rally's where people have brought their dog. What a discourteous thing to do to those who camp while listening to dogs bark at every passerby, or to those who have to endure people parading their dog around like it is the only dog in the world. Sorry, but my group of riders see nothing good about bringing a dog along. IMO, FWIW!

Although I agree with Ed in general. There are times I would like to take my dog to the park on the bike. I use my truck only for work anymore (begrudgingly) and have been trying to dream up something I could throw him on or in for the short trip to the dog park.

For now I just tie his leash to the rack. He usually keeps up... at least on the surface streets...

For now I just tie his leash to the rack. He usually keeps up... at least on the surface streets...

That cracks me up. "He usually keeps up". And what do you do when he doesn't, just drag him along. I know its macabre, but the image is hilarious.

That brought back images of when Chevy Chase forgot his dog that was tied to the bumper of that awesome grocery getter. grin.gif What movie was that?

What does the fact that you don't like dogs at rallies have to do with me trying to figure out how to bring a dog on my trips? Thanks for you input anyway.

beno

Although I agree with Ed in general. There are times I would like to take my dog to the park on the bike. I use my truck only for work anymore (begrudgingly) and have been trying to dream up something I could throw him on or in for the short trip to the dog park.

Yeah Deano, that's what I am talking about. If you are single and a dog owner, it's harder on him to be locked up in the yard alone (and harder on me). If you don't own a dog you probably don't understand this. On the bicycle it's easier with a trailer, but there must be a comfortable and safe solution for the motorbike . . .

beno

Here's a site for you. It's all about people and their dogs on motorcycles. Take note of the protection that some of the dogs wear. The pics look silly to me but you might find a couple of helpful hints either from the pics or from striking up a conversation with one of the folks who regularly rides with a dog on board.

Please check out this thread from the Chromeheads site. It is a combination of a sad story about a motorcycling pooch, but also a recommendation on perhaps the safest way for a pooch to travel on a bike. Seems like it might be O.K. to take him along on shorter rides, but there is still the possiblity that a trailer can flip, and Fido gets no second chance.

Tom

http://www.chromeheads.org/discus/messages/10/143628.html?1123476802

Sorry, but my group of riders see nothing good about bringing a dog along. IMO, FWIW!

At the recent Beemer Bash in Quincy, CA there were about 550 people and a dozen or so dogs. The dogs were well behaved, seemed to be enjoying themselves, and received a lot of attention from those of us who like dogs. I heard no negative comments from any of the rally attendees. If a dog is going to be barking at everything, or aggressive, the owner should have the good sense not to bring it to a rally.

I've seen small dogs in crates on the passenger seat, and big dogs in sidecars, but I've never seen a dog in a trailer. At one time or another I've taken my three kids on motorcycle trips as well as my wife, so I've made my peace with being responsible for a passenger.

Your dog may or may not enjoy riding in a trailer. Recently I talked with a guy who bought a Ural sidecar rig specifically so he could take his golden retriever with him on trips. He said that she was nervous at first, but now whenever he goes near the bike she jumps in the chair, ready for a ride.

peter '75 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

I compete my dogs in field trials, and have drven them all around the country. Usually they are in crates on the back of my truck or in a dog trailer. My trainer has gooseneck with about 20 kennels builtin plus storage. I don't like them on the small 4 hole trailer as I think its vulnerable and not everly comfortable. I have seen a two wheel trailer with a kennel pulled by a bike. I would never do it, especially for any distance. One wheel??? - no way. Dogs and bikes don't mix, IMO.

It is a combination of a sad story about a motorcycling pooch, but also a recommendation on perhaps the safest way for a pooch to travel on a bike. Seems like it might be O.K. to take him along on shorter rides, but there is still the possiblity that a trailer can flip, and Fido gets no second chance.

Thanks Tom. That story is heartbreaking for the owner of that little dog. For people who have pets, they are like members of the family and the bonds are very strong.

Of course my priority is to have my dog safe and comfortable. I would not have him bouncing around in a trailer behind a bike (or on the back of a truck for that matter)loose and unsecured. That's why I am looking for a solution. As far as accidents are concerned, I am just as vulnerable as he is when we are on two wheels. I would not ride in shorts and sandals and I wouldn't put him in unecessary danger, but to say "leave him at home where he is safe" is like saying, "I won't ride because I might crash."

Thanks for that link,

beno

Here's a site for you. It's all about people and their dogs on motorcycles. Take note of the protection that some of the dogs wear. The pics look silly to me but you might find a couple of helpful hints either from the pics or from striking up a conversation with one of the folks who regularly rides with a dog on board.

Thanks Leslie. I may be able to get some info from someone on that site that has a big dog. You are right,those outfits are very silly and not my style at all. I want to take my dog not to be seen (I don't need any MORE attention)but so he doesn't have to be alone.

I appreciate your help.

cheers

beno

grizzly660fan

this won't work for your big dog, but I saw this recently at a gas station.

couple was riding a RT and stopped for fuel. they had the top case open and was giving a small dog a drink/stretch legs/pottie break.

I was curious how this worked, the couple had modified the top case to become a doggie lounge. they modified the case lid and had a plexiglass window so the dog could see out while they rode along. they had some louvered vents with adjustable open/close so they could provide more or less ventalation as desired. they made a little doggie cushion custom fit to the inside bottom of the top case.

the dog had ridden so many miles with these folks it just was happy to be along for the ride.

if you didn't look real close you could not tell this modified top case was a doggie kennel customized for traveling.

I thought it was very clever. they were very nice folks from another state driving through...

Garry

There was someone on the site with a standard poodle (anywhere from 40-70 lbs). You may not want any of the goofy outfits but do consider the Doggles to protect his eyes and some kind of harness setup to secure him to whatever you carry him in.

Jamie and I were thinking that your dog, properly secured is probably in less danger than an unrestrained dog in a car.

Yes, of course you are subjecting your dog to the dangers inherent to motorcycling but being a rider you have made the same choice for yourself and have surely already taken the health of your dog into consideration.

Leslie, you are great. Thanks for trying to help rather than fill me up with your opinion about bikes and dogs. Doggles and harness, of course. Here is a photo of the handsome boy.

Thanks again.

Cheers

beno

590619-sporttouringchase.JPG.299639b01da08204541473ffe09abd4c.JPG

Hello Beno,

I know what you are saying about owning a dog, and loving it as a TRUE member of your family, and on the other hand locking the dog in the backyard alone. I understand you completely. confused.gif Actualy it is more complicated than it seems, so there is no way non-dog owners could understand.

Nevertheless I agree with Ed. too. But I must admit I have done it several times my self with my dog blush.gif , smaller than your beatiful friend, mine is a cocker spaniel (Minie). NEVER drove the RT with the dog, but with a scooter I occasionaly own as a second bike. I All times of course had to do up to 1 or 2 kms, and always with speeds up to 20 kmh. Minie of course is always willing to ride the scooter, which she finds it, a very nice game, hanging her face outside the fairing, but I dont feel nice to do this, and it happens only in cases when there is no other way. (actualy has happened 5 or 6 times) I attached an image of 2002 summer holidays when I HAD to take her together with a Burgman I used to have from home to the ferry boat just 1.5 kms.(just for your note my wife was waiting on the dock with her car to take her from there).

To conlude if you have to do it, Do it safe. tongue.gif

590833-Minie.thumb.jpg.71631ebabf1bb8e189ab09d6bf21fa70.jpg

Ok, I guess I should reply to this thread as I am guilty of fabricating a dog box to my 04 R1150RS. My Springer Spaniel (45lbs) is my constant companion which includes work at the shop. When gas got to $3 a gallon I wanted to ride the bike more and leave the truck home but still wanted to take Jessie with me. It's less than 15 miles one way so I decided to rig up something and give it a try.

I took a standard dog shipping crate like you see at Wal-Mart and reinforced the floor top and bottom with 1/4" plywood and through bolted it in 6 places. I then added two 1x4" boards the length of the bottom to distribute the weight on a Givi E183 mount (less the plate of course). Pre drilled to match the holes in the mount hardware, I simply insert 4 matching bolts with lock washers and wing nuts for a 3 minute install. The box is set on the mount to balance the weight distribution as good as possible to lessen any stress on the subframe, etc. It mounts up solid as a rock and so far no problems I can see.

Jessie jumps right in with the assistance of a chair. Now, she likes to move around a little in the box so going down the road can be interesting as I correct for the weight shifts but it isn't bad. This would be much better with a lighter dog.

I can certainly tell she and the box are back there and I would compare it to having a nervous human passenger. Obviously I do not recommend this set up to anybody....this is just for your info and entertainment..

No, I don't have a pic but could shoot a couple if ya'll want to see this thing. It looks ridiculous but it works and I don't get bent by the pointing and laughter in traffic!

RL, Sr

To conlude if you have to do it, Do it safe.

Thanks Nick. My idea is a one wheel trailer, modified with either a kennel type box that attaches to it or some other cover where he would be sheltered from the elements. And harness of course. If I can't figure out how to suspend it so he doesn't bounce around, I wouldn't take him on long trips, but at least I can take him to the beach and to dog parks. There are a lot of reasons why it is easier to go to parks and the beach on a motorcycle, parking being just one of them.

beno

Seeing the wealth of knowledge and experience on this data base, I need some advice and creative thinking on how to bring my dog along on my rides. At 75 pounds he is too big for a box on the back seat, and a side car is out of the question. I am considering a one wheel trailer and modifying it so that he is comfortable in there, covered to avoid excessive wind and ventilated. My one concern is that those one wheelers are light, unsuspended and therefore bumpy. Anybody out there bring their large dog along for the ride? How do you do it? I hate the car but I hate leaving him behind even more. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Beno

Well, some years ago there was an impressive photo in the paper that showed a guy in London traffic riding with his German Shepherd. The dog was sitting upright behind the rider, with his front feet on the rider's shoulders, and looking ahead over the rider's shoulder. This was before "photoshop" became available, so it was for real!

The dog wasn't wearing a helmet, however.

Bob.

I saw this and thought I would pipe in. My wife and I also have a dog we love very much that I would love to take on trips, but he is a little to big. This won't help you much but I thought I might tell you a little story of a dog that I used to take with me. He only weighed about 5 lbs. and I would put him in my tank bag. He went on a 3 week camping trip with me on the bike. I have more fond memories of that trip than any other. He loved to camp and ride, so we had a blast. He has since passed, but I will never forget that trip, and how much better it was having him along.

Nice looking dog thumbsup.gif

He deserves a nice bike as well. How about this? You can go off-roading clap.gif

bmw.jpg

That is a great set-up. Maybe I need to add a bike to the stable just for Chase.

b

Archived