IGNORED

Chain Saws and Side Stands

Don M

Thought I'd pass this on...I found the perfect tool for lubricating the side stand on my R1150RT. The grease gun for a chain saw bar. Its about the size of a tube of toothpaste, doesn't cost much, and has a pointed tip that fits perfectly into the nearly invisible lubrication hole on the RT side stand. The grease gun is a plunger action pump. Fill it with grease, poke the tip into the side stand lube hole and push....job done.

I've owned an 1100 and 1150 and I'm pretty sure they have the same side stand design. Put the bike on the center stand and put the side stand down. wipe the crud of the back of the side stand hinge and look for a small hole in the center of the hinge....the part that doesn't move when you move the side stand. That's the lube point.

I thought all modern chain saws had automatic oilers for the bar. In fact even my ancient Montgomery Ward saw had this feature. Apparently I am mistaken. :dopeslap:

Jay

You're correct about the oilers. Most saws also have a sprocket roller at the tip of the bar. There is a small hole on each side of the bar tip that allows you to pump grease into the bar and lube the roller.

Never had cause to lube the nose sprocket, just always made sure the oiler was working well. Other maint. is up to date. One of my saws is 30 years old and still going strong :thumbsup:

Never had cause to lube the nose sprocket, just always made sure the oiler was working well.

Same here. I don't recall anything in the owner's manual about greasing the nose sprocket, but I'd have to check again to be sure. In any case, my Stihl still works like new even after 12 years of regular use without doing this (I am on my second bar though, hmmmm).

Jay

Looked at my saws today. The Stiehl (sp) does not have a lube hole nor does my old Milwakee electric. My 30 year old Craftsman, which I have used the most, has a lube hole, but I have never used it.

I apologize for the hijack of this thread.

My year old husky has the lube hole; came with a little stoopid grease gun that wont work, and the manual says to lube it.

I lube it with chain lube for my F650 GS. The little red straw thing that goes into the can of lube is just the right size to fit into the lube hole.

It is Very simple. Just inject till it starts to make noise and come out the end of the bar. Voila!

There's a lube hole for the stands?!

I will definitely have to check that out before the thaw. I already own the device you are referring to.

Archived