IGNORED

ABS failing during startup

The Gorf

In the morning when I startup my bike, it now takes several attempts because the ABS lights click into error mode just as the bike fires up.

Any ideas what is causing this?

2000 1100RT

Any good places online to score a good one?

E-BAY. Odyssey battery. Best battery for the bike I can think of. Around $70.-. If you make a search on "Odyssey" you'll find a lot of information.

• 1 month later...

So in follow up I replaced the battery in my 1100POS and this condition is still continuing. I even rode it for a while thinking the battery was dead or low, and failing that, I put it on my Battery Tender. I still have very slow starting. And the ABS still trips when I start, and the clock resets to 12:00.

ANy ideas?

If I ever find that sales person that told me that BMW's were great reliable bikes I am going to put an ice pick through his eye.

If you've already replaced the battery and are sure that it is fully charged then check all grounds carefully, and if no problems there you might want to check that the starter motor itself is in good shape. A fault there could draw a lot of current on startup and cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Calvin  (no socks)

A voltage drop test will reveal the exact location of the high resistance connection. If you have or can borrow a voltmeter and measure from the engine to the negative post. Then measure from the engine to the cable on the negative post. It should be no more than 0.2 of a volt difference on the negative cable and the same test with the engine cranking on the postive post, and then the positive cable end at the battery, no more than 0.5 volt.

It is either a cable or a connection.

So I since have replaced the Odyssey battery that everyone recommended with a replacement Westco, and the difference is apparent. The starting is better, and seems more consistent. I was a little dismayed that on my 250A carbon dummy load, the Odyssey faired worse then the Westco for cycling. Oh well.

I will give the once over for grounding connections and the test for voltage drop and see what I find.

Archived