IGNORED

RT1200 Servo

ronecc

I have a 2005 1200RT with servo brakes. Have any owners done away with this system and resorted to normal brakes. Can the setup from later non servo 1200's be fitted. I hate the snatch when applying the front brake at road junctions. I feel as though I am fighting to keep the bike upright as it can catch you off guard and cause the bike to lurch to one side. Not good when two up and loaded.

I am guessing you are new to the 05 RT with servo.

If that is the case you will get used to it quick an all will be just fine and a nonissue.

I love the servo break on mine.

The only thing I don't like is when I jump on my dirt bike I only use the front brake for a while and forget that the rear needs to be applied separately. :)

Converting to non-servo would be very costly because the servo and ABS all works together, you would have to chunk and replace the entire system .

I feel as though I am fighting to keep the bike upright

What's with that? I'm on my 1st ever bike with servo brakes too and I never felt that on my R1200ST. Other than a bit of lack of feel at the lever, really not different than any bike with really good brakes. I will condemn the rear brake pedal for lousy feel and modulation on the R1200 servo system. Answer, use the front lever only (using the linked brakes) for most braking situations. They seem to be proportioned perfectly to me with no drama. Using the rear pedal with the hand lever ends up sending two inputs to the rear brakes and one isn't very smooth. BTW the anti-locks work great on my bike although they have seldom activated in my 22k miles with the bike. The brake bleeding on this system is a bit more trouble than conventional brakes but, I've done it so not that bad. I can't verify that a newer BMW with ABS is much easier.

Survived-til-now

I am afraid the short answer is probably NO you can't !

It won't help you to hear that the 2005 RT's servo's are a pussycat compared with the bite of the 1150's servo and at least the rear is operable separately (it took real sensitivity to do low speed manouvres when the front was linked in as well :( )

You soon get used to it and by the way, when you get caught out through inattention and really need them, that servo is a blessing :)

I recommend using both brakes as per normal brakes, the additional force on the rear can be useful and a good habit.

I have listened to many with the servo equipment. Even with out it I think it is a good idea to use your rear brake alone when in a parking lot or on slick surfaces such as grass or steel. Easy to have a parking lot tip over if your turning and use the front (and not use to it all!). I seldom use the rear brake but have been pushing myself to use it for slow speed stuff just so when I should be using it, I am out of habit. I also ignite my ABS almost every ride to exercise it while going down my dirt driveway. (2010 RT in the garage)

markgoodrich

Your description of "lurching" isn't normal behavior for any bike, servo or not. Is the suspension set properly for the load? Tire pressure appropriate?

Brake pads okay all around?

Assuming the above are all okay, when was the brake system last serviced? I have never experienced what you described in almost 60,000 miles on the servo RT, nor have I ever heard of it from others, nor have I ever heard of the "snatch" you're experiencing. Sounds like you should have the system checked out by someone who knows how the (complex) system works.

If the system is working as it should, then the problem lies in your right hand. Learn to apply a modulating light touch on the lever when that is all that is needed. These brakes are fabulous, with a full range of (significant) power available to you. Don't use the lever as an off and on switch. Sorry for being so blunt.

Changing the brakes over to a traditional design would not be advisable or practical.

Happy new year, and welcome to the board ronecc.

Jay

'05 RT

Be more gentle in your stops, ease off the front just before you stop and use the rear only to finally stop. The lurching normally comes if you are not going dead-ahead - ensure that the front wheel is in-line with the bike.

Andy

Try using just ONE finger on the front brake lever. That MAY reduce the "snatch" you mentioned.

I'm on my second Servo bike, and I really like it, but as others have mentioned, there is a learning period involved.

Be more gentle in your stops, ease off the front just before you stop and use the rear only to finally stop

I'm 100% with Andy on this one! Just try this method and I think you'll be fine with the brakes. BTW the brakes are linked so using the hand lever does apply the rear brake just fine trust me.

I have a 2007RT with no servo and I have the "snatch" too. Never had the problem on my 2000 R1100rt. I think the rotors may be a little warped. I think Andy has the work around.

The solution is really to apply a gentle touch to the brakes. The 05's (I have one too) are sensitive. With a heavy touch the brakes will grab and propel you forward -- easily spilling the bike and whatever and whoever you're carrying. Take it out and practice braking until it becomes second nature. Once you get it down, you'll be amazed at how smooth your ride can be.

The solution is really to apply a gentle touch to the brakes. The 05's (I have one too) are sensitive. With a heavy touch the brakes will grab and propel you forward -- easily spilling the bike and whatever and whoever you're carrying. Take it out and practice braking until it becomes second nature. Once you get it down, you'll be amazed at how smooth your ride can be.

I agree, and remember that most other bikes require more lever effort to get the same stopping power.

• 8 months later...

I had the servo on my GS - no problem. I have been riding all sorts of bikes for the past 35 years again - no problem apart from warped discs on a Ducati. Now I have an RT with NO servo that is snatching at very low speeds. You cannot predict when it is going to bring you to a halt. The risks of toppling over are considerable. There is a problem and I would really like to know what the solution might be.

Evening ronecc

With enough work the servo system can be removed but it won’t be easy as the servo system is integrated into the bikes electronics with the ABS controller being on the Can System. The brake switches actually work backwards & the bikes electronics control the brake light.

The later 1200ABS (I-ABS 2nd gen) system is also integrated into the later bikes electronics & the brake system is completely different than yours. Can’t say you couldn’t do it but REAL EXPENSIVE & very difficult to try.

As a something-to-try maybe try a different brand of brake pad that has a bit less aggressive grip at low apply pressures. (maybe call the different brake pad suppliers & ask for their recommendation on friction coefficients at light apply pressure)

And don't forget to get off the linked front lever and switch to rear pedal only once speeds is almost at stopping if you're worried about a spill from excessive front brake effect. Just be prepared for the lousy feel of the rear brake if you do this- its a textbook example of how not to design a good rear brake system.

Archived