IGNORED

2010/2011 R1200RT Special Timing Tool

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

BMW has a special set of tools BMW #11 1 510 for adjusting ignition timing. Can someone tell me when ignition timing is required. I ask the question because I am going to be doing my own maintenance and my dealer tells me that this expensive tool is required to adjust the valves. Thanks in advance.

Steve

A Google search got me to this: PDF. No mention of what is so special about it. Also disturbing to me is the special Spark plug socket. I don't remember reading anywhere that the plugs required a special tool. I've always done my own maintenance on my bikes, including rear main seal and a motor swap on the K12RS and hope to continue doing it on the '11 R12RT. None of the threads I've read on valve adjustments mention this tool.

Here is all you need to know how to set your valves on a twin cam.

http://sanjosebmw.smugmug.com/Other/Tech-pictures/10976964_bHf66/1#P-1-10

That tool mentioned, I believe is inserted in the back of the engine to establish TDC. Not needed for valve work as seen in the photos supplied by San Jose BMW.

Spark plugs can be removed using a 16mm (5/8") spark plug socket. There is a gasket that may cause trouble but it all works out. I suggest you either use high level of care removing the stick coils or purchase a puller. They are easy to damage. Make something that will slip into the groves in the top.

You will also need an assortment of hemispherical shims to set your valves on these bikes. At about $6 each you will be into it 150 or so. They come in increments of .05mm. I think there are 23 but I don't know the actual useful spread yet as the bikes I have looked at needed no change and are in the lower area of the range.

spec is: intake .13mm to .23mm,,,,,exhaust .30mm to .40mm Have fun. The new factory DVD's are good and I recommend one.

One more comment, timing is achieved via a cam position monitoring system. There is a small metal finger on the top right side cam that is monitored by a coil in the head. You will see it all when you take the cover off. Timing does not need to be part of your maintenance routine unless this stuff is messed with. And that finger should have a fixed key way. Early 2010 models had fingers with inaccurate key ways, there was a recall. This piece is called the reluctance finger or something like that.

If you want a coil puller send me a note. snipesb(at)cnw.com

Steve Kolenda

Beech,

Your information matches everything that I have been able to find. I have purchased the DVD and the coil removal tool and don't plan on stocking a bunch of shims but rather do a clearance check early in the week and only order the necessary shims which I can have in a day. Dealers lack of knowledge is a little concerning. Thanks for your help and Happy New Year.

Steve Kolenda

Troy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have a copy of the PDF but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Happy New Year.

On my 2011 RT a smaller spark plug is used. I use a 14mm thin wall deep socket for spark plug service. Be very careful not to get your socket stuck because it is too large in the OD dimension. There was quite a lengthy discussion about many owners getting their sockets stuck in the spark plug cavity on another discussion form. :(

On my 2011 RT a smaller spark plug is used. I use a 14mm thin wall deep socket for spark plug service. Be very careful not to get your socket stuck because it is too large in the OD dimension. There was quite a lengthy discussion about many owners getting their sockets stuck in the spark plug cavity on another discussion form. :(

That's good info to have, Thanks. I've just had the 600 mile service done by the dealer but plan on doing all subsequent maintenance myself. I'd be a bit unhappy if I got a socket stuck in the process.

Archived