IGNORED

How far south to get mild weather?

rideaway

I'm thinking of heading south at the end of Jan. or beginning of Feb. and am wondering how far south I need to go to get decent weather. And then I need to figure out where to park my car and trailer for 2 or 3 months where it will be secure.

"Decent weather" may have different meaning to different folks but in general in the "west of the mississippi" area, southern Cal, southern AZ, southern NM are pretty good. In Texas, you have to go a little forther south because the weather patterns "dips" in that area and Dallas north can be cold with ice. Probably most of southern AR and all of LA are good also.

You could probably ride down the West coast from Vancouver, if you wanted to. You would want to take 101 to avoid Grants Pass and some of Northern Cal.

As far as parking the car - have you thought about shipping the bike? I've used Federal and had a wonderful experience. Fly down and pick your bike up at a local dealer.

Yeah it is a very wierd year. They were calling a La Nina, which usually means dryer weather, but we have had 1/2 of our normal years rainfall in the last 2 weeks and more on the way.

Not saying it is a bad ride. Staying on the coast and in the deserts is always good for more comfortable temps. The coast is more tempurate and even and the deserts get less rain. They are really cold at night but nice during the day.

Stay under 3-3.5k ft. elevation and the cold will not be too bad unless we get a cold front.

I don't know. I thought we were gonna be safe in S. AZ this week, but now it's looking mighty chilly. Forecasts for mid to late week have lows in the low teens in some places, rain and snow possible, even down to the border. We're thinking we may need to go drop the bikes back in Phoenix and get our truck. Or head for So.Cal.

We went to Key West this last week and temps were in the 50's. Can't get any further south than that in this here USA. We then cruised on down to Cozumel and finally thawed out there (76 degrees). Aaaah :)

Jay

Australia has my vote! On my way with the SPF 50 girls.... :grin:

None for the bloke in the budgie smugglers.

You better stay with the girls... Have you read about Australia's speeding tickets?

Hopefully things will improve in a month from now. I have thought about going down the coast from Vancouver, I guess I'll see how it looks when I'm ready.

OH NO Australia has outlawed colored bathing suits. Those prejudiced WHITE ONLY laws have to change...

I think you're missing the point of this exercise. Those white suits are in preparation to determine the opacity of the material when exposed to ice cold water when poured upon the suit in the presence of loud music and drunken motorcyclists...

Archived