IGNORED

Rear TPS not working - '07 RT

Doug_Baliko

My rear TPS unit is not working. Tire is fine and fully inflated. Is this a do-it-yourself kind of fix or am I off to the stealer? If it's big bucks I would do without the fix but the yellow caution light is quite annoying.

Doug

Couple things;

You need to ride for up to a 1/2 mile before the sensor will pick up. That's wheel rolling.

Of course, as you've already done, verify pressure with good gauge.

To rule out a sensor calibration issue, try the pressure at max tire allowable (usually 42psi) and try riding again.

If none of the above fix it, dealer time. The sensors are battery driven and it may need a new one. Sensors require "recognizing" with the tech computer.

3 year/36,000 mile warranty and or a good will may head of any charge. Worth a shot.

If it's battery, get the other one done at the same or you know what will happen.

If it is wheel pressure sensor battery, AFAIK the whole sensor has to be replaced. That would be $145. Grrrrrrrrr...

Yep!

Don_Eilenberger

Well, that's only $290 for both..

Hmmmm... I'm looking into yet another aftermarket one - price for the entire system is around $200 or so from the UK, sensors have 3 year predicted life. More info as I find out more after the new year (they went on holiday apparently..)

Here in the UK is this system that i have fitted to my bike that has 2 options.

My option is fitted by the strap type and work very well and from the following link for more details:

http://www.tyre-track.net

I hope this is some help even if only info.

Regards

Alan

Dick Rothermel

Paul is correct, as usual, that the sensor is a sealed unit and also that it's $145.00 list. My rear sensor died on my 07 RT two months ago with 75,000 miles. Had the dealer try to "wake it up" to no avail. It's an easy install once the tire is removed. If you change it yourself, you'll need to ride back to the dealer to have him "wake up" the new one. While it's rather pricey, it's the first repair that I've had to spend money on in 75,000 carefree miles, so not much aggravation here in Michigan!

Don_Eilenberger
Here in the UK is this system that i have fitted to my bike that has 2 options.

My option is fitted by the strap type and work very well and from the following link for more details:

http://www.tyre-track.net

I hope this is some help even if only info.

Regards

Alan

Alan - that's exactly the system I've been considering :) Any info on your experience with it would be great. What is the size of the display module and does it have a "warning" mode (where it alerts you if it detects a leak)?

Any "got'cha" to watch out for?

So far they don't have a US distributor - I'm hoping to change that..

TIA!

Hi the TPMS is as follows:

The receiver display is 43mm x 27mm within the unit side of 106mm wide x 60mm height and 22mm deep. With a tyre pressure, tyre temp, and charging voltage warnings alarms for either side of a programmable high and low tyre pressure and temperature and voltage, and is situated just above the display screen. Either side of the display unit are buttons for selecting and function modes.

The screens display front and read tyre presure and temperatures, scroll to the next screen and it shows the voltage.

The unit allows you to set it up to what ever you feel is the upper or lower limit that you require for tyre pressures and temperatures that will build up whist on the move and is easy to use and understand.

At start-up the unit self tests and takes a minute to receive the transmit ion from the sensors in the wheels. If they display say 36psi front and 42 psi rear they will gain 4 to 5 psi when you are out on a run depending on type of use. I have my low tyre pressure set to 34psi and upper at 47psi and can confirm that both give a warning light as and when the pressures are out with my personal settings. I have not had the tyre temperature warning on as yet and have it set to 75c,

Psi, bar, Kpa and F and C are all programmable and the unit calls (the uk) TYRE as your TIRE lol

If you have any other questions, please ask and I will try and answer them.

Regards

Alan

Archived