IGNORED

My motorcycle hero

yabadabapal

The life of Burt Munro is beautifully portrayed is a film

called "The worlds fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins

playing the part of Burt. What an amazing man and Motorcyclist

Burt Munro was. Below is some great info on him. I was in tears watching this man go for his dream. Watch the movie if you get a chance.

Herbert James 'Burt' Munro, (Bert in his youth) (25 March 1899 – 6 January 1978) was a New Zealand motorcycle racer, famous for setting an under-1000cc world record, at Bonneville, 26 August 1967.[2] This record still stands today. Munro was 68 and was riding a 47-year old machine when he set his last record.[3]

Working from his home in Invercargill, he worked for 20 years to highly modify the 1920 Indian motorcycle which he had bought in 1920. Munro set his first New Zealand speed record in 1938 and later set seven more. He travelled to compete at the Bonneville Salt Flats, attempting to set world speed records. During his ten visits to the salt flats, he set three speed records, one of which still stands today. His efforts, and success, are the basis of the motion picture The World's Fastest Indian (2005)

Be sure to check out the DVD extra feature "Offerings to the God of Speed" if you want to see the "real" Burt Munro....it is a 20+ minute documentary that was shot in the 70's about him. Was very nice of them to include it on the DVD!!

Great flick and in my top couple of MC movies.

But "On Any Sunday" does it for me. Waited in lline for 2 hrs to see that movie at its first showing when I was a kid.

Archived