IGNORED

r1100rt '96 battery change

crsuperman34

Hello all,

first post. I just recently purchased a 1996 bmw r1100rt with only 24,580 miles on it. Everything is in great working condition as it was mostly garage kept and hardly ever ridden (the guy was working on oil rigs).

However, the battery has worn down and now after starting it a few times refuses to start.

1) should I get a new battery? or should I charge the one on there?

2) what else should I look at before taking off on this thing?

3) how do I find a garage or mechanic that will service this thing, buy tires from... etc?

Was the battery kept on a Battery tender?

How old is the battery?

Did you check the voltage while it was running?

If the battery is more than 3 years old and you don't know how it was maintained replace it.

Where are you located?

Ride Safe

I too will be replacing a battery soon. I've read about how to do it and it doesn't seem too intimidating but any tips\tricks are always appreciated!

Nothing to it. Remove the left side "tupperware". Remove the fresh air tube to the air filter. Remove the battery! Take off the negative terminal first, put it on last. Put it back together. You'll need a torx drive for the screws. No need to lift the gas tank like on a "R" bike.

Hi and welcome to the board. :wave:

A new battery will be a worthwhile investment if the bike has spent a lot of time sitting. Where in the world are you? If you fill in your profile a little then it will be a lot easier to help you with finding a suitable mechanic - or even one of the members helping with a spanner or two.

Andy

I disagree with the suggestion to just replace the battery. Remove all the fairing pieces. Remove the gas tank. Now LOOK at everything. Are there any places that should be cleaned up? lubed? Are there signs that any small critters might have used any of the nooks and crannies for food storage or nesting? Look at all the wires. Any chaffing? Now is the perfect time to become familiar with your bike. The worst time is when something happens to it on the side of the road.

BUT DO REPLACE THE BATTERY.

My recommendation is the odyssey 680 for your bike.

located in new orleans, la - uptown. lifting the gas tank is really not an option for me. I'm willing to learn, but really new at this.

Morning Superman and welcome to the boards and to BMW life.

Battery swap is easy as outlined alread, Left side and pull the batt. As mentioned you really want to check that you are charging. Jump start the bike from any 12V vehicle, it is ok to use a car. Or you can put the bike on any kind of charger until you can start the bike. Then while it is running, use a volt meter to check running voltage. It should be about 14 volts plus or minus a bit. 13.5-14.5 is acceptable. If you are lower than that you may need an alternator or at least check the alt belt.

If you are much higher than that, your regulator or diode bridge in the alt may be bad.

As to finding a shop or mechanic, try going to some of the local watering holes and ask BMW riders who they use. Any shop that pops up more than others is a good choice.

I'd be sure to charge up that battery first, then see if you have any trouble with it. Also pull it out and see if you need to add water, and see if you can find a date sticker on the thing. 4 - 5 years is typical for a battery (correct me if I'm wrong), but it can be much shorter depending on how it was stored.

Lots of info here, including a list of independent mechanics: IBMWR.org

Oh, and get one of these.

Edited by elkroeger

If you do replace the battery DON'T buy the BMW Gel battery unless you wish to find out what "ABS Fault & flashing ABS lights" means and how it relates to your battery.

Look for an AGM style battery. I have an Odyssey PC680. There are other cheaper ones out there now though.

+1 on looking for mice damage, and other vermin tracks.

Superman,

Welcome to the group and you have come to the right place to ask questions about your R1100RT and stuff.

I changed my battery last year and it was easy to do. I've read that you should stay away from the Gel batteries and I highly recommend you purchase a battery Maintainer, if you do not ride a lot. I plug my battery maintainer into the lighter port, which is to the left of the tach and above the storage box on my R1100RT.

Ride Safe!

Capt'n

• Smile 1

Welcome to the forum.

BEFORE GETTING THE BATTERY REPLACED - Fully charge it, and take it to a tyre or battery vendor, they have the equipment to do a load / discharge / capacity check this will let you what state your battery is iin and you can then make an informed decision.

The battery may be OK it may not really have been cycled too many times.

Why not get the bike fully serviced too so that you have a good starting point to know if everything is good.

Check your safety systems, are the brakes, discs, hoses fluids in good order. after all these years new fluid would be the order of the day.

Andy

• 4 years later...
If you do replace the battery DON'T buy the BMW Gel battery unless you wish to find out what "ABS Fault & flashing ABS lights" means and how it relates to your battery.

Look for an AGM style battery. I have an Odyssey PC680. There are other cheaper ones out there now though.

+1 on looking for mice damage, and other vermin tracks.

Resurrecting an old thread. What the heck -

Outpost22 (or anyone who knows), What is the correct choice in the Odyssey PC680 series?

There are several, and I don't want to foul up and order the wrong unit.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

What is the correct choice in the Odyssey PC680 series?

Plain vanilla PC680. No letters.

Be aware that the cables on your bike will either need to be modified (twisted, flattened) or connected using some add on terminal adapter pieces. Some battery suppliers include these for free, some charge. You can make your own from some old copper tubing, flatten it, drill holes.

for example see

http://www.batterymart.com/p-ody-adapt.html

Stan

Edited by Stan Walker
  • 5 years later...
NOLONGERRELEVANT
On 12/24/2010 at 10:47 AM, crsuperman34 said:

located in new orleans, la - uptown. lifting the gas tank is really not an option for me. I'm willing to learn, but really new at this.

Are you still riding your BMW and in New Orleans?  I am uptown on a new to me R100RT.

• 1 year later...

Is there a video or step-by-step instructions on battery replacement on a 1997 K1100LT? Especially the Motronic unit above the battery.

Thanks