IGNORED

Pre-Sale Program For K1600 GT/GTL

marcopolo

Yes now you too can be assured of your official place as an origional guinea pig for BMW's new rolling [test bed] 1600 series for the low price of the low, low, LOW price of . . . we can't tell ya yet, but if you have to ask . . . .

I just posted a similar reply on the Yamaha Tenere thread.

Why do many of you feel the need to bash a bike you have never ridden and likely not even seen in person yet? People are lined up to buy a Tenere and everyone is OOGLING and praising the Tenere sight unseen and no pre-ride. And that is people on a BMW site freaking out over a Yamaha. Why would we bash a BMW we have not seen and that has some amazing ideas and farkles before seeing or riding on a BMW site while praising a Yamaha on the same BMW site?

I am not picking on any of you. Just curious of the motive and opposite views of the exact same situation?

Yamaha = proven and basically bomb proof history.

BMW = cocky arrogance fraught with massive early model, first year major issues that land you stuck on the side of a road or in a service department more than on the road.

That pretty much sums it up.

Beta testing is an end user function with BMW.

Then dont buy one.

here is a bunch of Yamaha chat rooms

http://www.bing.com/search?q=yamaha+chat&FORM=HPNTDF&pc=HPNTDF&src=IE-SearchBox

I have 4 friends that have the F800GS and one that has the F650 and they all love them and have had no more trouble than anything other bike.

I like constructive criticism, even ask for it often. Still dont understand why someone would specifically come on a thread just to bash something they have never seen or ridden.

As to the Yamaha= bullet proof...tell my buddy that who has gone thru 3 R6 motors and the 2 shops that he has had rebuild them both say "yeah it common"....bullet proof. :eek:

I have raced Yamahas since 1970, and as i said before, I LOVE THEM...still own 2 and would own a couple more if money was no object. But I have never owned a K1600 so i will reserve judgement on them until I 1} ride one, and 2} talk to people who own them, before I denounce them. ;)

As I said in your duplicate post on the other thread, there is no K16 bashing going on. It's BMW as a manufacturer. I recommend you look at some of my history.

I think we all realize every manufacturer has its issues and none are above them. BMW just owns their issue.

I professionally road raced Yamahas in the late 80s and early 90s for Vance and Hines. I get it.

Why do many of you feel the need to bash a bike you have never ridden and likely not even seen in person yet? People are lined up to buy a Tenere and everyone is OOGLING and praising the Tenere sight unseen and no pre-ride. And that is people on a BMW site freaking out over a Yamaha. Why would we bash a BMW we have not seen and that has some amazing ideas and farkles before seeing or riding on a BMW site while praising a Yamaha on the same BMW site?

I am not picking on any of you. Just curious of the motive and opposite views of the exact same situation?

I think some of it is: The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

"your shakin my hand while your pissin on my leg" mike ness, social D

'96 BMW r1100rt, '07 Yamaha WR250F, '65 Yamaha 305 Ym1,

'08 KTM530excr {just sold} QUOTE...

Because "history" does repeat itself.

Then dont buy one.

here is a bunch of Yamaha chat rooms

http://www.bing.com/search?q=yamaha+chat&FORM=HPNTDF&pc=HPNTDF&src=IE-SearchBox

I have 4 friends that have the F800GS and one that has the F650 and they all love them and have had no more trouble than anything other bike.

I like constructive criticism, even ask for it often. Still dont understand why someone would specifically come on a thread just to bash something they have never seen or ridden.

As to the Yamaha= bullet proof...tell my buddy that who has gone thru 3 R6 motors and the 2 shops that he has had rebuild them both say "yeah it common"....bullet proof. :eek:

I have raced Yamahas since 1970, and as i said before, I LOVE THEM...still own 2 and would own a couple more if money was no object. But I have never owned a K1600 so i will reserve judgement on them until I 1} ride one, and 2} talk to people who own them, before I denounce them. ;)

On this forum, buying a model is not required, in order to comment on it.

"But I have never owned a K1600 so i will reserve judgement on them until I 1} ride one, and 2} talk to people who own them, before I denounce them. ;)

Do you realize that this thread is about the Presale Program for the 1600? Because it sounds like you're not onboard with it either.

Good Morning Kmac.

I've not said anything about the Yamaha, so I don't think your comment/criticism is universally true IE: being hypocritical on brands/boards etc.

However, new model BWM roll outs have been more of a 'Beta Testing' (MS Windows like) scenario, and this has been documented. Perhaps what you wanted to say but didn't, is that new model rollout problems are not exclusive to Beamers? (Which is true).

Many of the origional posts on this thread seemed to react more to the marketing efforts of BMW to build additional demand/exclusivity [hype] of the New K1600 by making a case for why interested parties should buy virtually sight unseen, unridden and unknown price. Comments seem more geared toward the marketing vs what some of us [bMW owners} see as new model risk - let alone sight unseen.

I actually bought a 1994 HD Road King on exactly this program minus any photos of the bike. Had finally rached a point in life where I could afford a $15,000 motorcycle and tried to buy an Elektra Guide Sport, production was canceled. Settled on a Dyna sport, production on it was canceled. Delaer had heard rumors of something called a Road King that was going to be available in March, displayed at Sturgis. I paid my down in April and hoped that Harley wouldn't make an ugly bike.

Lucked out big time and had the earliest Road King in Illinois. Loved that bike, owned it for 5 years. Then got the BMW bug and added a 1998 RT. Owned various Harleys and BMWs until the 2005 RT which soured me on BMW and ABS. Current owner has had zero problems and loves the RT. Had my best luck with new bikes when ordering on faith when the dealer says "you''ll want one of these". Current dealer is telling me to get the RT, doesn't think I will like the 1600. Next bike purchase is in September so am accumulating cash. Probaly come down to a Road King or an RT or maybe both again. They really do function very well for the different types of riding I do.

Why do many of you feel the need to bash a bike you have never ridden and likely not even seen in person yet?

I am not bashing the bike! I think it looks fantastic and am eager to see it up close, even though it is much more bike than I need (my R12RT fits me just fine). I was just smirking at the marketing ploy of offering advance orders. I recently got a similar offer for an electric car and my reaction was the same. Let somebody else take the early bird hit on the price.

BTW, the prices in Canada for the K1600 were available at the recent Toronto bike show. The MSRP (before options, prep charges and tax taxes etc.) was $24,100 for the GT and $27,225 for the GTL.

"Why do many of you feel the need to bash a bike you have never ridden and likely not even seen in person yet?"

Gee, sometimes a body can look at a product and make a snap decision that it may not be suitable for their needs and marvel at the manufactures' need to produce it.

Like the 1600. From an exacting perusal of my needs and available funds. I can emphatically state I will not be making a pre-purchase deposit on this bit of engineering excess.

Not hard to do at all. What make it seem so difficult that someone may differ in opinion? But best to put ones money where ones mouth is, BMW certainly needs to sell a scad of these jewels or it won't be around long.

"BMW certainly needs to sell a scad of these jewels or it won't be around long."

The K1200LT was a very good seller for years. It was in production for 11 years and it still sold the last few years. The Honda Gold Wing sells in good numbers and that is the market BMW aims at. I personally think it will be a very good seller. Pricing: The K1300GT was 23K. A loaded R1200RT with sound etc. is over 22K. A Harley Ultra is around 30K. I think with all the farkles 25K to 27K is in the market.

Morning NAC,

I would put my money where my mouth is if I had any money. I haven't worked since June. If I could afford a new bike I would be onboard for the new K1600GTL.

I am aware that new models often have issues, with all brands of bikes in my opinion.

It just seems like such a double standard. Many already seem positive the bike, and thustly BMW as a company is doomed to fail.

I would rather look forward with some excitement at the chance to ride the new K16 and hope that it is as great as it looks like it could be, and has a positive impact on the company as a whole.

I hope the Tenere is as great of a bike it looks it might be as well.

I just felt like the OP was roviding some info for those who may be interested in the new bike, and the next 3 post went automatcally toward the...thats a dumb idea mentality. It seemed like if there were anyone interested in the bike after the OP, they would have been driven away by post number 4. Whether the attacks were at the bike, or the coorporation, I felt that someone needed to stand up for the potential of the K16.

P.S. Im with Paul, I think the price is in the ball park with a GL1800 or the HD Electra especially when you factor in the farkles.

I have never knocked any bikes and like discussing bikes in general.

If we are still talking about the pre-sale program, here are my 2 cents worth. Programs like that are nothing new and they exist because buyers will use them. There are people who just have to have the new thing before anyone else. Cost becomes secondary. All the other concerns raised here about this are not relevant to those buyers. You guys are all too rational for such a "great opportunity".

I saw the new K at the Toronto show. Nice machine, smaller than I had expected and well appointed. Some new technology, amazing powertrain. I heard the sound of it though on You Tube and was not impressed, like a howling jet.

Will go and test drive one in spring once available.

Oh yes, and have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Enjoy your Holidays and ride safely.

Morning NAC,

I would put my money where my mouth is if I had any money. I haven't worked since June. If I could afford a new bike I would be onboard for the new K1600GTL.

I am aware that new models often have issues, with all brands of bikes in my opinion.

It just seems like such a double standard. Many already seem positive the bike, and thustly BMW as a company is doomed to fail.

I would rather look forward with some excitement at the chance to ride the new K16 and hope that it is as great as it looks like it could be, and has a positive impact on the company as a whole.

I hope the Tenere is as great of a bike it looks it might be as well.

I just felt like the OP was roviding some info for those who may be interested in the new bike, and the next 3 post went automatcally toward the...thats a dumb idea mentality. It seemed like if there were anyone interested in the bike after the OP, they would have been driven away by post number 4. Whether the attacks were at the bike, or the coorporation, I felt that someone needed to stand up for the potential of the K16.

You've said as much a few times now. I think we get it. Often you seem to essentially repeat some of your posts/points on this and other threads. Different strokes for different folks - not everyone is going to see eye to eye with you (or others). That doesn't invalidate your opinion or theirs or mean you or 'they' aren't 'good' guys or any less worthy of weighing in. Reasonable people disagree all the time - how boring it would be if we all agreed. People are different and the sun keeps rising and the world keeps spinning. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but just look at the cruiser sales, Where be they be now? I'm sure someone thought it was a good idea to out Hardley at it.

Now, ladies and Gentleman, the Beemerbago.

I really don't understand the corporate mine to excel at all market niches.

Just don't argue LT at the Cowboy Curve. ;)

Evening WTA,

I conceed the point of my repetition. I am sorry for that. I thought I was adding to my initial point each time, but I guess it came out wrong.

Honestly I dont want everyone to think like I do, no one could help me fix my clutch then. :dopeslap: No one would know that I was riding my RT wrong if we all thought like I do. I am also not sure there is enough medication to fix the world if everyone thought like I do.

I have been in a bit of a funk lately. Sorry all.

Nothing like that is needed - and thanks for holding our feet to the fire and for being willing to question what people are saying and for sticking up for the K1600.

I was sorry to hear of you recent misfortune. I hope the new year brings in a change of fortune for you. And good luck with the clutch.

Thanks WTA for the encouragement. It is not a work issue, it is an on going injury issue with my neck. Got me in a real funk. I am just not me. I have had to quit riding dirt bike because of the pain, which is killing me inside. And I got word from my doctor friday that we are proceeding toward fusing 3 of my vertibrae in my neck.

Been in a weird mood for a couple weeks and getting weirder since friday.

Thanks WTA for the encouragement. It is not a work issue, it is an on going injury issue with my neck. Got me in a real funk. I am just not me. I have had to quit riding dirt bike because of the pain, which is killing me inside. And I got word from my doctor friday that we are proceeding toward fusing 3 of my vertibrae in my neck.

Been in a weird mood for a couple weeks and getting weirder since friday.

There are several of us here who have gone through both major and minor neck surgery. Reach out, do a search, you might be surprised what you find! We aren't all just a pain in the neck!

Me = c3-c7 laminoplasty plus c3-c5 foraminotomy.

:D

Phil, I have never thought of you as a pain the neck. :wave:

I like your posts and consider you a knowledgeable asset to me and a nice guy overall.

I honestly dont take difference of opinions personally, and I like to challenged. Sometimes i get overly passionate and may come off as jerky, it is not intentional.

Once my neck issues are in control and your beautiful baby is home and stable, i would love to ride up north and have you show me around the area up there. i will even buy ya a beer. :thumbsup:

Based on the scant information available so far, I'd love to have a K16GT. But truthfully, there's no real information on the bikes other than what BMW has released, so I don't see the benefit in lining up early to be guaranteed a spot for a pricey motorcycle I may not end up liking. And, it's a given that early purchasers, when demand is highest, are likely to pay the highest prices.

I appreciate that BMW is trying to build demand, but I don't have to be an early adopter in every aspect of my life. When it comes to what would be one of my more significant expenditures, I can wait a while and see how things shake out.

Afternoon Mike,

I agree about not needing to be the first gueinee (spell check)pig, especially on a cruiser bike or a touring bike. On a MX bike or a crotch rocket the technology progresses so fast and especially if you race we like to have the latest and great. Actual fact is though i doubt we improve lap time that much on most years changes only on the ocassional big changes like reed valves, exhaust port valving, disc brakes, big suspension jumps....

None of NEED a K1600GT/L but it doesnt stop some of us from wanting one, and if we could afford it...WTH buy it, if it has issues with the new bike, find a good dealer, and use up that warranty. I wish I could afford one, maybe someday, for now it an old salvaged R1100RT that I am liking overall.

Archived