IGNORED

I know I saw it but ...

Sonor

Okay, I probably suffer from CRS (can't remember s**t) but I thought for sure there was a thread on getting a tool kit for R1200RTs. And I know it had a link to the BMW site with a tool kit that was for a GS but would work for the R1200RT. After lots of searching here and on BMW's site, I can't find it. Anybody have that link?

Evening Z-Man

Just run a search on this site, lots to see and read.

Start by clicking the search button at the top of this page, then click on (advanced), then enter “Tool Kit” (use the quotes as shown) in the keyword search terms, then change the date range to (3) and (years) , then on the left highlight (Hexheads and Camheads), then click the (submit) button on the bottom of the page.

Looks like a nice kit if you like paying $200 for $100 worth of tools. :grin:

And still missing some needed items.

Exactly. Thirty minutes at Sears and you are set.

You might be able to construct the adv kit for less IF you can easily locate the multi piece ratchet supplied and you want to order the axle wrench and maybe oil filter wrench, unless you happen to have a bike shop handy that stocks them but even if you do, you'll have a bunch of extra stuff cause sets won't match and holders that organize stuff may be too large or missing. I'm betting most home assembled versions would be larger, heavier, and not as well packaged.

So its price can be justified for those who don't want to spend time shopping for bits from the list on their site.

It does need a few other things like small side cuts, more electrical wire and tape, maybe an 8" crescent, more zip ties, etc to be complete but they will fit in the case supplied.

Although I could have raided my bench sets for stuff for the bike, I use a modified adv set for carrying on the bike and do all regular maintenance with it just to be used to it. So far it has only come out on the road to assist others and to deal with a dead fpc, a fairly easy roadside fix if you're prepared.

Looks like a nice kit if you like paying $200 for $100 worth of tools. :grin:

And still missing some needed items.

Exactly. Thirty minutes at Sears and you are set.

Even cheaper at Harbor Freight. Probably less than $50 for everything.

If you use the K&N KN-164 oil filter with the 17mm nut on the bottom, you won't need that expensive and way oversized oil filter wrench at all!

...So its price can be justified for those who don't want to spend time shopping for bits from the list on their site...

Exactly; you're paying someone else to do the work -- procuring, assembling, packaging (and making a profit). Works for me. Some people like tinkering with this sort of stuff and that's great if you're interested. I'm not the least bit interested and I've got better things to do with my time. For me, that was worth $200.

Exactly; you're paying someone else to do the work -- procuring, assembling, packaging (and making a profit). Works for me. Some people like tinkering with this sort of stuff and that's great if you're interested. I'm not the least bit interested and I've got better things to do with my time. For me, that was worth $200.

I agree, if you've got no time for it--however if you bought that kit and have trouble on the road, you may find you're missing critical tools while having a useless set of box end wrenches and hexhead sockets.

So if you go to a tool store and pick up the necessary items that I have seen from a variety of posts, then where do you get the tool holder? Just curious what others have done ...

Archived