IGNORED

Advice for fork seal replacement?

Voyager

From the liquid squirting past the dust boot on my forks I have deduced the time is right to replace the fork seals. I looked up the procedure in Haynes and it appears relatively simple for the home mechanic. Any cautions, equipment list, special tools or improvised household items that might serve as a seal driver? grin.gif I have new seals & dust boots but haven't bought the fork oil yet. Thanks!

I changed out the fork seals on my 1100GS this spring. It is an easy job. I used a 1 7/16 inch socket for a seal driver.

A pair of circlip (snap ring) pliers for the seal retaining clip will be neaded.

Brian PDQ Signs

I had some difficulty with removing the forks from the triple tree. Up top I had to grind down a wrench to fit in between the top of the fork and triple tree. I didn't take the plastic off but did remove both forks and cleaned them up like new. I did have to purchase a long T handle allen wrench for the bottom bolt in the forks. Other than the top part of the triple tree problem it was an easy job.

589724-2868TTw-toptubecopyB.jpg.dbf52dc9018f579ab0fb94147e960008.jpg

It's easy. Some people do them one at a time on the bike. Drop and rotate one out front while the other stays in place to 'pivot' around.

Brian PDQ Signs

FYI - I just checked and the T handle is a 5.0 mm allen wrench and about 9 inches long. Now you don't have to get the entire set just the 1 thumbsup.gif

Archived