IGNORED

Life Expectancy of OEM Shocks? R1150RT

RapidDog

I've got over 9K on my '04 RT, mostly freeway miles.

So Cal freeways are pretty nasty.

May just be my imagination but the bike seems to be loosing some of it's plush ride.

I'll eventually get some Ohlins or Bitubos.

What is the lifespan of these OEM shocks?...in round figures that is...

Roughly 30,000. If you are heavy and ride aggressively, maybe a little less, the opposite if you are the opposite. Personally, I didn't waste much time on the stock shocks and replaced them with Works at 12k miles. I had these before on my RS and knew how much better the RT could ride.

good luck

tom collins

Blue Beemer Dude
Personally, I didn't waste much time on the stock shocks and replaced them with Works at 12k miles. I had these before on my RS and knew how much better the RT could ride.

Yo, Tom: Forgive me if I've asked you this before (I don't think so) but I'm debating getting new shocks (at 11K) not because of any problems per se, but I would like a bit more comfy ride. You wrote "I knew how much better the RT could ride" in past tense. Now that you've done it and lived with it, do you still feel that on the RT with low miles that going to the Works shocks still gives you a better ride (and I assume by better you mean more comfortable) than stock?

Thanks,

Michael

no question. i traded a 97 r1100rs with works shocks on this rt. when i took the test ride on the rt, i could tell the difference immediately and knew that as soon as i got a little money ahead, the stock setup was going. also the windshield and seat for that matter. i have never looked back, still have the stock system so if i ever get nostalgic, i can go back or if i sell the bike, i can put it back and sell the works shocks separately. unless you are very large, such as 250 lb or over, it is way over sprung and under damped. with works you can feel subtleties in the road you never knew were there. if you get half way around a bend and hit a bump, nothing happens, you just keep going, the stock shocks, already stressed by compression in the turn will bounce you and the head will shake. if you know anyone with one of these and any brand of aftermarket shocks, beg a ride from them and you will see.

good luck.

tom collins

I just had the spring replaced on mine....the original was an 800 lb spring...and it was replaced with a 970 lb spring. They also said that there was air in the preload line, and it was never acting like it should have. I had 123.000+ miles on it.

Pat

I just had the spring replaced on mine....the original was an 800 lb spring...and it was replaced with a 970 lb spring. They also said that there was air in the preload line, and it was never acting like it should have. I had 123.000+ miles on it.

Pat

Pat, was that the stock shock you had the spring replaced and rebuilt? And if so, where did you have the work done?

TIA,

Mike

Hey Mike....

Toolman responded to one of my other posts.....and suggested that I get hold of Lindemann Engineering...and so I did. Spring was $100 (installation was another $30....wish I'd been a bit quicker thinking, I could have had that done up here for nothing....oh well!!) A complete rebuild was going to be another 2 or $300. But because I am wanting to jump on an LT at the end of the year or first part of next year I didn't want to sink a grand or more into it for just a few months time.

Gimme a minute, and I'll dig up their phone number....ok here 'tis....408-371-6151. My shock should be back today or tomorrow....

Pat

Archived