IGNORED

1200RT Demo Ride

Rinkydink

I demo'd the RT again today but took a 2 hr ride on twisties and freeway route. I must say the bike shifts like a Honda now and the extra ponies are sure nice. The weight loss diet is quite impressive also.

As much as I wanted the bike and wanted to give James at BMW LR my business, I couldn't justify the $8-9k upcharge over my 04 RT.

The seat still sucked and the windshield was like a (noisy) fish flouncing in the wind. In the sun the computer screen was extremely hard to read. Don't get me wrong, this is a great bike and a damn nice step in the right direction but just not quite enough for me at this time IMHO. Two or three years down the road and who knows?

That is how I felt after my demo-ride. Riding home on my 04RT, I kept thinking how crude it now felt when at the same time last year, I was thinking it couldn't get any better. Such is technology. Lots of life left in the old 04 anyway.

tom collins

I will probably never ride a demo ride agian til I know I'm ready to buy. I can only take so much before I had to do what I did on saturday grin.gif

I traded my 04 for a 12RT after a demo ride. Better in every regard. Put Kajsa to work on finding a home for your 04, then go ahead and take the plunge - you won't regret it!

Having owned an 2004 RT and ordered an 05RT, I think there is a world of difference. I thought the 04 engine was too weak and the brakes too strong. With the 05 both problems were 100% eliminated. The 1150RT is a great bike, but I thought there was a world of difference between the 1150 and 1200, even enough to justify the extra money.

The demand for clean low milage 1150s is strong,at least in the midwest. If you sell,phone shop dealers for a discount you can ride what you really want at a lower out the door price. The 1200 is worth the effort. thumbsup.gif Leon

I couldn't agree more. If not for the huge improvements in the 1200 from the 1150 (to my mind wink.gif; I do not speak for anyone else smirk.gif), I would have been quite content with the 1150.

Guess my choice was easier. I was riding the R1200CL. When I got on the RT it was like a totally different sport! We had about an hour and a half test ride, and took the 05 RT home that day!

Dang, I'm glad I read this thread. I'd never ridden a BMW bike in my life before I bought my 1200RT. It's great to be spoiled and not even know it... thumbsup.gif

Rode the R12RT while having the R12GS in for 6000 mile service. I absolutely loved the bike! It is a totally different riding experience from that of the GS. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to convince the SO that WE need both bikes. The wind protection is the best I've ever experienced, and the ability to adjust suspension settings (ESA) on the fly is simply phenomenal.

Archived