IGNORED

2006 K1200GT

Berts

What's the word? I can't believe how quiet it has been. I gotta believe, in fact pray, that we'll see a new GT for '06. Where are the rumors, spy photos, insider info?

I've been saying the result of this model would be sooooo similar to the FJR. And so it seems as more "data" dribbles in.

It might be heavier, but not much so. It has traded torque for horsepower, but probably has the same "bulk" under the curve to produce similar results -- albeit at higher revs. It's tank size and thus range are going to close to the Yamaha 6.7 gallons. Assuming the use the S wheelbase, ratios of it show FJR-simlar seat height tank height, windshield height and bag capacity, but more passenger seat lenght.

What I don't see, is a lot of similarity to an RT. Certainly, "shape" is. But, until one understands the actual Dimensions, an FJR looks like an RT. The sizes are different, the the effect of the parts is different, both the chassis and mechanical or drive parts. When we examine the dynamics of the two bikes, how they "work", how their performance equates to Feel, and it's effect on the Rider, we find two different classes of motorcycle.

Indeed, I've added accessories to my FJR that at the same time I can say are being added to "make it more comfortable for how I use it (Long rides of, or to get to, Having Fun)", or are things that are missing that separate the FJR from an RT.

I think the final impression, rather than the still distorted picture, even with better visual pictures, will impress folks as this is a bike much more like the R1200ST than R1200RT. It is a physically smaller and leaner package, of about the same weight, that operates more precisely and lightly, with more connection with, rather than isolation from, the enviornment.

It's good to see BMW finally build an item with contemporarily recognized (desired) performance levels, while using for once mainstream design concepts that will tend to produce riding characteristics commonly desired by... the mainstream. Quirky designs have been producing quirky results. It seems a nice change, or potential for one.

Best wishes.

Funny thing about the FJR - I've never ridden one, but I've sat on one, and it felt "small" to me in comparison to the RT. I'm not a particularly big guy, but it felt a little cramped. I'm sure this would translate into more flickability, but I'm not sure how it would have translated into long-term highway comfort. (Judging from the number of people who put bar risers on FJRs, I may not be the only one.) So, yes, we'll have to see the real world size and shape and feel of the GT before we know where it fits on the FJR - RT spectrum.

Still haven't seen anything that makes me want to give up on the current goal of getting the RT to 200K, though.

Archived