IGNORED

Facebook security

Richard_D

O.k. so I just was contacted by facebook and had to do a security check and list a new password. They said someone tried to enter my account from Kiev. What's up with that ?

Nice n Easy Rider
O.k. so I just was contacted by facebook and had to do a security check and list a new password. They said someone tried to enter my account from Kiev. What's up with that ?

And you know for sure that it was Facebook contacting you and not a phishing scheme?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Yes, facebook would not let me sign in until I went through a 5 step process.

You went directly to www.facebook.com, right? You didn't just click on a link in the security-notice email you initially received?

Yes, facebook would not let me sign in until I went through a 5 step process.

You went directly to www.facebook.com, right? You didn't just click on a link in the potentially fake security-notice email you initially received?

There, fixed it for ya. :)

Never click a link in an email!!!!

I say that, but there are exceptions: As part of a confirmation process for a registration process you initiated, for example. But in general, just don't do it.

You Americans....I mean motor bike drivers, are so...what you say, so suspicious. You send Password...I send you genuine mini statue of one Joe Stalin with like size casket and glass cover.

Thank you,

Your Comrade - Bobbie

I went to facebook.com like I always do. I guess I'll know sooner or later if I got hacked. I doubt it with the process I went through.

I went to facebook.com like I always do. I guess I'll know sooner or later if I got hacked. I doubt it with the process I went through.

Should be legit then! :)

You Americans....I mean motor bike drivers, are so...what you say, so suspicious. You send Password...I send you genuine mini statue of one Joe Stalin with like size casket and glass cover.

Thank you,

Your Comrade - Bobbie

:rofl::grin:

They said someone tried to enter my account from Kiev.

While monitoring security for remote access to library data, I once noticed one of my colleagues, who I knew was working 20 feet away, connected from Tibet. When I told her she needed to change her password, she said, "But, I have a very secure password."

Danny caddyshack Noonan
she said, "But, I have a very secure password."

""Ssshhhhh. It's "password" don't tell anyone, ok? If you do, I may not get that million dollar check from Kenya.""

“Facebook Security” is an oxymoron. Facebook sells access to its members to hundreds of third parties. They are one of the most unscruplious outfits on the net!
Facebook is not unscrupulous at all, they make absolutely no secret of the fact that they share your information unless you prevent them. And yes, you can prevent them.
“Facebook Security” is an oxymoron. Facebook sells access to its members to hundreds of third parties. They are one of the most unscruplious outfits on the net!
Facebook is not unscrupulous at all, they make absolutely no secret of the fact that they share your information unless you prevent them. And yes, you can prevent them.

In principle, to a point, until they screw up (again), or get bought, or sold, or change their policy once again. Isn't it you who says to assume that everything you post is public, and don't post anything you want to protect?

In any event, a password hack phishing exploit and FB's internal security policies are totally different topics.

Now see, there, you've gone done and done it, got me started on a gloomy rainy wintry laundry day, or maybe it's the Alice Cooper disc now playing.... :)

And yes, you can prevent them....

In my experience (I left Facebook earlier this year) one could prevent release of info only temporarily. About once every 2 to 3 months, Facebook would come out with a new security enhancement that would just happen to reset all your existing security. As a result, all your information went public until such time as one discovered the change in settings and re clamped down.

Being unable to trust Facebook to keep my data compartmentalized was the reason I left.

Thank you,

Your Comrade - Bobbie

:rofl::grin:

Vas?

They putin him back?

mummies.jpg

:lurk:

Isn't it you who says to assume that everything you post is public, and don't post anything you want to protect?
Yes, that is my practice and preaching. It's the only way to enjoy FB which really wasn't designed for privacy, Zuckerberg doesn't even believe in privacy.

In my experience (I left Facebook earlier this year)

But....

You didn't make a hugely grandiose hyperbolic post about it someplace else... I

I think you have violated FB TOS Michael!

she said, "But, I have a very secure password."

""Ssshhhhh. It's "password" don't tell anyone, ok? If you do, I may not get that million dollar check from Kenya.""

The check is from Nigeria not Kenya, and you can't get it because I already did!

I haven't found anything comparable for Firefox, but Chrome users can take advantage of Facebook Disconnect:

Facebook is notified whenever you visit one of the more than one million sites on the web that use Facebook Connect and has a history of leaking personally identifiable information to third parties.

Turn off the flow of your data to them!

Facebook Disconnect blocks all traffic from third-party sites to Facebook servers, but still lets you access Facebook itself.

I haven't found anything comparable for Firefox, but Chrome users can take advantage of Facebook Disconnect:

Facebook is notified whenever you visit one of the more than one million sites on the web that use Facebook Connect and has a history of leaking personally identifiable information to third parties.

Turn off the flow of your data to them!

Facebook Disconnect blocks all traffic from third-party sites to Facebook servers, but still lets you access Facebook itself.

In fact, complaining about this heinous practice of following you all over on a FB thread a while back, I was told to log out of FB each time to prevent it.

So I got all my settings set up so that FB can't "remember me." I should be logged out each time I leave. Guess what, FB automatically restarts "remember me" to keep me logged in, without telling me. The only clue is that when I come back, I don't have to log in. Infuriating.

FB, can't live with 'em, can't live w/o 'em.

Chrome may be worth another look.

If you clicked a link in the email and then entered your old password followed by a new password, you've likely just fallen for a phishing attack. They now have full access to your facebook account and are surely trying your email address and that password at every website on the planet that potential has interesting info or can provide access to your finances.

First, go to facebook and change your password again. Then contact facebook support yourself and ask if the security check was valid. I've accessed my own facebook from eastern europe and never received such a warning or had to go through any process.

"FB, can't live with 'em, can't live w/o 'em."

Yes, you can. Live w/o 'em.

Soon you'll forget that the words "Yummy" and "Darling" don't need to be used a trillion times a day. You might even ride a motorcycle.

I've never been able to stay in touch with far away folks, the way I can on fb. I think it's terrific, but I keep it as locked down as possible.

It's terrific for reuniting with old friends and staying in touch with far flung family.

You can compartmentalize your groups, so, for instance, your family chatter is separate from your friend chatter.

I don't really understand the need for Facebook when regular email works. Becoming a Barney/Big Bird like friend to the world is kinda nauseating. When some ugly person wants to be your 'Friend', are you kind and suck it up or pragmatic and quickly shut down your computer and hide under the covers.

Folks who participate in reaching out to the world shouldn't be too surprised when the rainbow doesn't lead to a pot 'o gold.

Even Forums like this are subject, look at all the weirdos here. :P

Even Forums like this are subject, look at all the weirdos here. :P

Yea, but I like being weird notacop. It comes natural to me.

I enjoy using it, but I follow the same precautions there as I do here: I participate with the assumption that anything I post will be accessible to anyone, anywhere, until the end of time.

I enjoy using it, but I follow the same precautions there as I do here: I participate with the assumption that anything I post will be accessible to anyone, anywhere, until the end of time.

That is similar to the what someone I know follows which is: "If you don't want to hear it read in open court don't put it on the internet."

When some ugly person wants to be your 'Friend', are you kind and suck it up or pragmatic and quickly shut down your computer and hide under the covers.
Why wouldn't you just say no? I do. What are they going to do, come over and force me to FB friend them?

I agree. I like FB. I am in contact with some folks who I would never have reconnected with otherwise. I have also connected with some glass artists who I will never meet. FB allows us to share photos, ideas, the 'deal of the century' that we found on glass, and a bunch of silly stuff that doesn't matter much.

I keep personal information to a minimum and enjoy it for what it is (and don't complain too much about what it isn't). As long as you don't go in expecting it to be secure or private, it can be fun.

That being said, I assume that FB is essentially completely insecure, even though I have locked down personal information to some degree. I make the presumption that what I say there could come back to bite me at any point, so I don't say anything there that I wouldn't want to have come up in a job interview.

My wifes facebook account and Yahoo email was hacked into a couple days agoe by the same person. They added and new email address to yahoo for any repelys. I have not gotten facebook back but I am working on that. The person email to all her address that she was in London and had been mugged and need money. With everything it has taken to get back into facebook and Yahoo they were able to bypass all the things I needed to due and with out any email notice to us.

Don

My wifes facebook account and Yahoo email was hacked into a couple days agoe by the same person.
Presumably they had the same username and password? A lot of people do that (including me in some cases) and it really opens you up to a major hacking if they get in to any of them.
My wifes facebook account and Yahoo email was hacked into a couple days agoe by the same person. They added and new email address to yahoo for any repelys. I have not gotten facebook back but I am working on that. The person email to all her address that she was in London and had been mugged and need money. With everything it has taken to get back into facebook and Yahoo they were able to bypass all the things I needed to due and with out any email notice to us.

Don

Could have been a Firesheep user. Security tips here, including a Firefox add-on to warn you if someone is running Firesheep on a shared network: http://www.zscaler.com/blacksheep.html

More info: Firesheep, Blacksheep, and Protecting Your Wi-Fi Data

• 4 weeks later...
the best facebook security I've found is not too!----Banzai
You don't need to be secure on FB if you don't put private stuff on there, and you would be crazy to! What makes this site any more secure other than lack of general interest?

Archived