IGNORED

Why was my windshield coming down while ignition off?

dan cata

Hi all,

This summer, I have noticed that one day, the wind shield on my 1100 RT '95 started to come down even if it was in the upper position (I have an electrical windshield). So the bike was on the centerstand and while unpacking the tent, that's 5 mins, the windshield was down all the way.

There was no raini or bike wash prior to that and it only happend then.

The thing is that late this autumn the bike felt down on a Aprilia Pegaso :rofl: and the "U"-shaped bracket that holds the plastic windshield broxe on the left side. Not entirely, only a part of it. So I have decided to replace it, today just came the replacement part and I would really like to know what could have caused the windstopper to come down.

Note that I have opened the plastic part of the electrical engine and cleaned all the grease out and put in new on, molibdenum disulphite that works for high loads and low speed rotations.

And another thing... after the windshield is up, what stoppes it from coming back down? I believe that the wind force on it is serious. Is there some kind of electromagnet that lockes it into place once fully up or down?

And should I do anything more than just replace the part?

Dan.

Hi all,

And another thing... after the windshield is up, what stoppes it from coming back down? I believe that the wind force on it is serious. Is there some kind of electromagnet that lockes it into place once fully up or down?

The drive mechanism uses a worm-gear. These allow power transmission in one-direction only - the rotating screw turns an angle-toothed gear, but the gear cannot turn the screw.

An after-thought - the only way I can see for the windscreen to come down un-powered would be for the hex-shaft to be turning inside the worm-gear. Worth a check at least.

Andy

Hi all,

The drive mechanism uses a worm-gear. These allow power transmission in one-direction only - the rotating screw turns an angle-toothed gear, but the gear cannot turn the screw.

An after-thought - the only way I can see for the windscreen to come down un-powered would be for the hex-shaft to be turning inside the worm-gear. Worth a check at least.

Andy

The new frame comes with the _|_ mechanism. And the one that I have does not slip, I have tested it. But I will open the junction and re-grease that one too, on the replacement part that I have.

And I don't believe it's slipping because if it did, it would go always down, and while riding. I was thinking of an electrical problem in the L/H side grip, like water in the button making it to come down ;)

Dan.

Mine did the same thing (comming down after the bike shut off) and then just doing it. I never worried about it because it would stay up while I ride, and seems to work just fine.

I have found my windshield in the fully down position several times knowing full well I didn't put it there. Not all the time, not just after a long period of not riding, just sort of random. When I put it back up it stays in place.

Hi Dan, there is a sort of brake on the windshield motor (besides the mechanical control afforded by the worm drive which offers huge resistance), When there is no electrical input being provided by either the up or down switches, the Windshield Up and the Windshield Down relays are de-energised. The result of this is that the Windshield Motor has its windings shorted together via the normally closed contacts of both the up and the down relay. This acts as an electromagnetic brake.

Andy

Just opened the package and everything in there is stuck :(

There is a lot of white rust like on the bushings where they meet the plastic.

What's the difference in windshield mounting, electric vs. non electric? The 4 small metal guides that hold the rails on the new support are seized. I have tried hammering them out but no success.

Do you have a tank bag, and does the switch hit the tank bag when the forks are in the locked position?

Yes I have a tank bag, but it doesn't hit the switch. Bike on centerstand nobody near or around it. Come back and windshield is down - sometimes. I am not personally concerned about it, just citing the case that stuff happens.

OK, I am really out of ideas now :(

168.png

Part 20 is suppose to rotate inside the plastic frame, along with part 10. Because of the white rust, 10 and 20 are stuck together and 20 is siezed inside the plastic. The parts on my broken frame are OK and I want to replace them but I really have no idea on how to get them apart. They have been soaking in wd40 since last night but still no cigar.

Dan.

I have the windshield adjuster assembly for my R1150RT disassembled right now, so I can provide detailed pictures of any of the individual parts anybody needs that might help in troubleshooting.

Dan,

Are parts 10 and 20 not meant to turn together?

Ian

True. They are both hex-shaped and one fits in the other. They rotate together ar the motor spins.

But... After you remove the "C" clips from the extremes, they should come off by hand, one from the other. They did on my bike with the broken frame but on the replacement part I can't get them apart. And part # 20 is stuck where it should spin into, that is the plastic frame. That's the reason I want to swap the metal parts since mine are in perfect condition.

B0003444.png?v=03192010

One side moves free now ant the other one is very hard to move by hand.

Anyway I think I have found the sollution: cut the long hex bar and tap it out. Other than that, there's no prayer in the world that would get it off. Like I said, it seems like the bike sat in salt or something because everything on the replacement part appears to have rust on it. And it was listed as in good condition and working when I purchased it :(

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...

I managed to get the metal parts off the old plastic frame and now I am in the process of getting everything back together. The frame is assembled and on the bike right now.

The only problem is that when it's almost all the way up, it kindda' drags a little so I am thinking something is not right. Like phasing the motor to the metal parts.

Is there some precise way to put it all back as it were? What I did was get the engine in the stop upper position then attached it to the frame and now it doesn't feel right.

Dan.

Got it sorted out!

I took the motor off again, the system went down, like when the windshield is down and set the motor in the lowest position and re-attached it ;)

• 4 months later...

Well, last winter I took the upper fairing off to replace the large U-shaped black plastic frame. Also squirted some contact cleaner in all the connectors in there, as well as where the 2 relays sit. No problem until yesterday when it started to come back down by itself, while the bike was parked...

I guess this is intermittent and has nothing to do with rain/any kind of water...

Dan.

Archived