IGNORED

Duramax Diesel - Who owns one?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

Mrs. Affable and I have a travel trailer, a yard full of needing repairs, landscaping, and frequent need to transport 4 - 6 people. Our 2001 Tahoe with 4.8L gas is near end of life.

I am considering going on a hunt for a used Chevrolet/GMC 2500 Duramax Diesel Crew Cab as a tow vehicle/ability to haul landscaping stuff/occasionally another couple/the grand kids. I'd like to have a dialog or pm exchange with any owners of diesel p/u's and crew cabs, but especially the Duramax.

Thanks! :wave:

I have a 2002 Chevy extended cab with an 8' bed, Duramax with the Allison transmission. My current mileage is 164,000.

There is a wealth of information at The Diesel Place. This is the main forum for all things Duramax.

The biggest knock on the Duramax was it's first generation, the LB7. These were made between 2001 and 2004.5. The injectors have a pretty high failure rate, and since they are under the valve covers, they are a bit of a pain to change, in addition to being expensive.

Later generation Duramax engines do not have this issue.

I've enjoyed my truck, and it has provided great service. Rides well, good power, quiet.

Happy to fill you in on specifics. Ask away.

Ford's 6.0 and 6.4 liter diesels have had well-documented problems. The older 7.3 liter Power Stroke is a great motor, but the trucks themselves are getting long in the tooth.

I have an '07 2500 HD Duramax diesel w/Allison six speed automatic. 42k so far & no problems. A bit disappointed in mileage though. Averaging about 16, with a high of 19 on the highway at 75 with the KLR in the bed.

But I'm a capitalist, so mpg isn't my first priority.

2003 Duramax 2500HD w/ Allison tranny, ext cab with all the plush stuff. Most of the injectors have been replaced piece meal under mandated (Cal?)10 year warranty.

I like my truck, but I have had more little problems with it than any other vehicle

I've owned (outside of my RT.)

Some advice regarding pickups from a long time user.

Buy the truck that has the stopping power comenserate with your total loading (including anything towed)Stopping ability is more important than towing power.

Buy a C&C (cab and chassis) and put a flat bed on it. Pickup bodies get dinged all to "H" and lower the value rapidly. A flat bed is easier to load thinga on and the c&c is less expensive to purchase. Lot better visibility when reversing as well.

Bob

My boss has a Duramax, a 2007 or so. So far I think he has had about half the injectors go bad, a bad fuel pump and all of the glowplugs have been replaced, some more than once. As noted, the early editions had some common injector issues (made by Bosch if I remeber right). They also were having head gasket issues in the ealry years. 2003 marked a huge improvement of the ECU if I remember right. Like most common rail high pressure diesels, expect some issues here and there. Injectors are the big reason, along with price I decided to stay away from diesel for the time being. Most of the injectors (most models) are $500 each just for the part, multiplied by the number of cylinders. If you dont stay on top of your fuel filter, it will be an early death of your injectors. Personally if i were going to buy a diesel I would most likely buy the Dodge Ram with the Cummins. Why? for many reasons. The cummins seems to be the most reliable of the big 3, since its a cummins it can be serviced by just about anyplace that works on big rigs, its a 6 cylinder so it consumes $1000 less in injectors. It also typically outperforms in fuel economy, has fewer parts and typically outperforms in low end torque desite the lower HP. However, I would look at a newer one that has the Aisin automatic, unless you go manual, then the dodge begins to be an even better choice with the Getrag 6 speed.

I have a 2004 Crew Cab with 100,000 miles. Knock on wood no fuel injector problems. These truck are known for bad wheel bearings. I had both mine replaced and you need the whole hub with it. Timpkin has a cheaper better alternative than stock. My only other issue was power stering hoses leaked at the fittings and since the brakes are connected somehow , I lost most of my braking coming off a highway ramp. Nothing was in my way, I replaced the hoses myself and all is good for now. The transmission can't be beat. You always feel like you're in the right gear towing, especially in the mountains.

I have an 08 2500HD and my Dad has an 03 2500HD. Both trucks have been problem free so far. He gets a lot better mileage (I believe it's the pre '07 model change that does better).

Mine is the second HD I've owned. My first one was a gas engine and I found it often underpowered for what I was pulling. Duramax has more than enough power and the Allison transmission is superb.

determine your priority, people or hauling. No truck does both at the same level. I just purchased a dodge ram 2500 mega cab. for people riding nothing touches it.

for hauling/towing/people compromise I really liked the duramzx crew cab with 8' bed. Nothing comes close to the allison transmission. But I was not comfortable with the duramax. So because I will not be hauling much over 3 ton's I felt the cummins, even with the much weaker transmission was my better choice.

I had a 2001 dodge quad cab for 3 years. I loved that truck, but the back seat was not functional. That was the primary motivation to moving towards the mega cab. Best cab on the market for me, best engine, and compromised on the tranny. Now if I was talented like in those diesel magazine, I would mate an allison to my cummins :-)

We have a 2005 Duramax 4x4 Extended cab with the 8 ft. bed. The only problem has been the front hubs. They are not cheap.

Any opinions on the 6.5L that they put in the 1999 Chevy Suburban? Found one here locally with 137k miles for $7k. Clean vehicle. Thinking about using it as a tow vehicle and dog hauler.

Keep looking. The 6.5 is low powered and unrefined.

As stated, a Cummings diesel is better. 6 cylinders is really optimum, even the big over the road diesels are only 6 cylinder. The perfect truck would be a Cummings Diesel, Allison transmission and ford Chassis.

If it was me I would get the Dodge Megacab and 6 speed manual transmission. I would find the simplest least optioned truck I could find. Repairs will be so much less expensive. It is dodge, you will have repairs, You will be happier in the end.

Barring that, second generation Duramax diesel is much better than first and if you want an automatic you can not beat the allison. But current diesels (10 and up) all of them are so overloaded with emissions crap I would run away.

Rod

There are a LOT of reason not to get a 6.0 or 6.4 ford, the best of which is cab removal needed for common repairs and those repairs are needed a lot.

I need an SUV, not a pickup and being diesel ignorant, I have no idea what to look for. You say stay away from Fords while rule out the Expedition. Stay away from from the 6.5 so that kills the Suburban.

So, what SUV has a 6 cyl Cummings that can tow 9,000 lbs?

FLrider,

The Ford Excursion was a large SUV that came with a diesel as an option. They were made from 2000-2005. The earlier models had the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. This is an excellent engine. They replace the 7.3 with the 6.0 diesel in 2003, but I believe some 2003 trucks had the 7.3.

The Excursion was built on a truck platform. It is a big heavy vehicle, but with a 7.3 it might be what you are looking for. As previously mentioned, the 6.0 has a rather poor record.

I've been holding out replacing my 04 Armada waiting for Ford or GM to put a diesel SUV back into the SUV market. No luck for 2011. I have a monster enclosed trailer I haul ATVs and dirt bikes in that just works a gas to hard. Also have a big family so need the SUV not a truck. The guys are right in that the Excursion was last produced in 05 and are getting long in the tooth. Currently no diesel SUV in production. Maybe 2012...

Any opinions on the 6.5L that they put in the 1999 Chevy Suburban? Found one here locally with 137k miles for $7k. Clean vehicle. Thinking about using it as a tow vehicle and dog hauler.

It's probably a little crude and underpowered compared to a Duramax, Cummins, or 7.3 Ford but it depends on what you're going to tow and where. I've got a '96 6.5 Suburban with 210,000 miles and pulling a 7000+ lb. Airstream it gets 14 mpg going 75 mph on flat ground. That's about it's comfortable weight limit though. It and the Expedition are about the only SUV choices and the Ford is quite a bit bigger. It's been my experience that Chev's hold their value a little better too.

The only thing I tow is a boat and with the trailer it's about 8,000. The sad part is, I only tow it 4-5 times a year for detailing, service and to remove it from my lift during hurricanes.

I never tow it somewhere far to launch. So, my daily drive has become a pickup truck. Not my vehicle of choice. At first I thought I'd keep my sedan and by a used pickup that I would only use when I need to. But, the cost of used trucks that could tow 8,000lbs + was limited and expensive and I still had to insure and maintain it.

So, now it's become my daily driver. While it will tow the boat just fine, it only gets about 13-15 mpg around town and there is no room for our multiple dogs. Hence, the diesel SUV idea...

If I found an inexpensive SUV that worked for my needs, I'd sell the pickup, drive my sedan daily and just run the SUV as needed.

Not looking good. Maybe need to rethink.

The only thing I tow is a boat and with the trailer it's about 8,000. The sad part is, I only tow it 4-5 times a year for detailing, service and to remove it from my lift during hurricanes.

That was my thinking too, I went with an older cheaper Suburban because I didn't want to have $15-40K tied up in a vehicle I'd only use a few times a year. If the one you're looking at has the towing package, and I think most diesels do, it would probably do the job for short hauls around Florida. Just make sure the brakes are in good shape.

i looked at a number of excursion diesels. as stated above the change over from 7.3 to 6.0 was mid 2003. So not all 2003 excursion's have the 7.3. There was a member of this board Gleno, who knew a lot about diesels and tow vehicles in general. Back when I asked him, cummins was still number 1, but he put the 7.3 ford diesel a very close second. If I could find a 7.3 2002 or 2003 7.3 excursion in good shape, I would not esitate to own one. As I noted above, for me I could live with the Dodge mega cab. If I had to do it all over again, the only item I might have changed is a manual trans, instead of the auto I got. I did a lot of research on the mega cab, but I just assumed auto trans and never researched the manual trans options in the dodge mega cab line. It seems the dodge manual trans has a lot better service and functional reputation than the auto trans does.

i looked at a number of excursion diesels. as stated above the change over from 7.3 to 6.0 was mid 2003. So not all 2003 excursion's have the 7.3. There was a member of this board Gleno, who knew a lot about diesels and tow vehicles in general. Back when I asked him, cummins was still number 1, but he put the 7.3 ford diesel a very close second. If I could find a 7.3 2002 or 2003 7.3 excursion in good shape, I would not esitate to own one. As I noted above, for me I could live with the Dodge mega cab. If I had to do it all over again, the only item I might have changed is a manual trans, instead of the auto I got. I did a lot of research on the mega cab, but I just assumed auto trans and never researched the manual trans options in the dodge mega cab line. It seems the dodge manual trans has a lot better service and functional reputation than the auto trans does.

I think alot of people on here are under estimating the Dodge automatic tranny. The new ones no longer use the 48RE transmission. That tansmission had alot of problems, although even if you have that transmission there are so many cheap upgrades available, in addition to the Dodge upgrade replacement if the tranny ever fails. The newer HD rams use the 6 speed Asisin transmission. These have been used in the med dudty truck class in the Aisian market for a long time. They also have a manual shift feature in them as well. From what I can see, this is just as good as the Allison. I personally drove one and I was very impressed, although; I did not tow with it. These also seem to be a pretty reliable transmission. If I were to buy a new HD dielel truck, the Ram would most likely be my choice. Although the new Ford F-250 with the new Ford designed 6.7 in it looks pretty good. Its by far the quietest diesel truck I have ever heard. The new 6.7 is designed by Ford and not the Navistar group that designed the 6.0L that caused Ford all the problems. The Toqueshift tranny is also another great transmission.

I've got one of the so-called problem trannys but haven't had any problems. It has 105k on it now, and I've regularly hauled 10,000 lbs plus had the vehicle loaded to 9k+ lbs.

As stated, a Cummings diesel is better. 6 cylinders is really optimum, even the big over the road diesels are only 6 cylinder. The perfect truck would be a Cummings Diesel, Allison transmission and ford Chassis.

So Fords have Cummings engines? :S

So Fords have Cummings engines? :S

I am sure that was referring to the axles and frame for the chassis part. Its not a secret the F-250 has the best frame and axle set up. The cummins is the engine from the dodge and the allison is the transmision in the Chevy. If you could put those together, you might have the best truck. Personally I think the dodge doesnt sacrafice in the chassis departement. It is the only one with a boxed frame in the 2500+ category. The new Aisin tranny easily matches the allison and the cummins is the better engine. All of this is all opinion statements. Some diehard diesel guys would say the best engine is the 12 valve cummins before they went to the high pressure common rail set up.

Personally I think the dodge doesnt sacrafice in the chassis departement. It is the only one with a boxed frame in the 2500+ category.

I feel the need to correct myself as I just learned today that the new 2011 chevy has a boxxed frame.

Search Over. The whole diesel thing confused the heck out of me. All I needed was something to haul the boat out 4 - 5 times a year for cleaning and service. I also wanted an enclose cargo area for the dogs.

I have an 08 Pickup I bought for the towing capacity but always felt I could use a little more ooomph.

So, today I bought an old (1986) Chevy Suburban 2500, one owner, 76k mile 3/4 ton, with a 454 big block and TH400 turbo 3 speed tranny (whatever that is. Clean as a whistle, no rust and brown shag carpeting. $2,500.

I have no idea if this boat will tow 9,000lbs or not but I just had to take the deal.

Owner says it will tow over 10,000 lbs. If I doesn't, I made a $2500 mistake.

Search Over. The whole diesel thing confused the heck out of me. All I needed was something to haul the boat out 4 - 5 times a year for cleaning and service. I also wanted an enclose cargo area for the dogs.

I have an 08 Pickup I bought for the towing capacity but always felt I could use a little more ooomph.

So, today I bought an old (1986) Chevy Suburban 2500, one owner, 76k mile 3/4 ton, with a 454 big block and TH400 turbo 3 speed tranny (whatever that is. Clean as a whistle, no rust and brown shag carpeting. $2,500.

I have no idea if this boat will tow 9,000lbs or not but I just had to take the deal.

Owner says it will tow over 10,000 lbs. If I doesn't, I made a $2500 mistake.

I could be wrong but I dont think the Suburban (even the 2500) was rated for 10k lbs back in 1986, 9k lbs is a more realistic rating. The new ones are rated over that but keep in mind the half ton trucks of today are rated for as much and in some cases more than what the older 3/4 tons were rated for. Realistically, I am sure its fine for your intended use but you might want to do yourself a favor. Open the drivers door and look at the GCWR. It should be a value of somewhere around 14-16,000lbs or so, a rough guess. Then take your Suburban and weigh it. The easiest way to do this to go to you local dump and they will probably let you do this for free. Take the number from your truck on the scales and subtract it from the GVWR on the door. Thats the tow rating. At 9k lbs you will most likely be right at the max of the trucks sdvertised rating. So, in reality you will be over it with passengers, gear and fuel. All the weight of the trailer, vehicle, occupants and gear count against the GVWR. I would strongly reccomend checking the trailer brakes before towing as well. The biggest issue if your overloaded is liability IMO. If your over it and in an accident a lawyer will start there.

Archived