IGNORED

2007 GSA: fuel level indicator vs. low fuel warning

Jameseo

I have a basic question on the operation of the fuel level indicator, low fuel warning, and their relationship...

I've read through the plethora of fuel strip problems and there are multiple instances where the strip is bad causing the level indicator to be permanently low as well as the low fuel warning to be latched on. That would imply that the fuel strip is the only sensor used to determine the fuel level AND ignite the low fuel warning.

However, the fiche seems to show that there are two separate elements with respect to fuel. One, the aforementioned fuel strip and two, a float that mounts on the fuel pump body. This would lend itself to the concept that the strip determines level and the float triggers the warning. On the other hand, the fiche also lists a pump flange with and without the float. Perhaps older models used the float whereas newer models do not???

The reason I am intrigued is this: I have a new-to-me 2007 GSA. I have run it out of fuel twice (won't happen a third time!) Neither time did the warning light come on to indicate such and there was a bar remaining on the level indicator. Note that the fuel level gauge seems to operate somewhat normally otherwise; full after a top off and decreasing as the miles on the tank increase. This makes me believe that the problem can be resolved with a recalibration. But the horde of faulty strips makes me second guess that notion.

Any thoughts on the correct repair for this problem as well as the true operation of the fuel level monitoring system for my bike are appreciated.

(And yes, I know. The moral of the story is know your mileage on every tank and the average mileage that the bike is capable of.)

GS_FuelLevel.jpg

I had an 07 GSA and the fuel gauge was never right although re-calibrated by the dealer several times and the strip replaced twice. I would fill the tank and it would read full, about 110 miles it would read half, at 120, less than half and about 130 or so down to one bar where it would stay until just before the light came on. At one point they replaced the computer in the bike, didn't help. The low fuel light did come on at about the right time but I never trusted it so used mileage. It didn't need to be so complicated, a simple float would have worked better. Good Luck!

I believe you stumbled across a retrofit part to replace the infamous fuel strip. If in fact this is a fuel strip fix, it supports what I heard from my dealer about a fix in the works from BMW.

I just had a fuel strip replaced on my K bike yesterday, but I do not see a float assembly offered for the K. At least not yet, however there is a new cam chain assembly that includes a chain tooth jump guard. There have been many documented engine failures on the late model K and it looks like BMW is quietly offered a solution for those lucky enough to browse the online parts fiche.

Good find!

Evening Limecreek

If that part is a retrofit float assembly BMW must have had a crystal ball back in 2005 as their factory RepRom shows it in the 2005 service manual. Even shows how to install the gauge float on the pump assembly.

I’m not sure what the deal is with that float, I originally though it was a GSA only but the manual shows it on both the GS and the GSA. (strange thing indeed)

I have a friend that is long time BMW certified technician, I guess next time is see him I am going to have to ask him what uses it and on what years.

While you're asking... See if my problem can be fixed with a calibration.

I have a friend that is long time BMW certified technician, I guess next time is see him I am going to have to ask him what uses it and on what years.

Good to know. Oh, well. I was getting excited about the prospect of BMW giving the fuel strip members an old school retrofit solution.

The K13GT has a float vs. a fuel strip. Come on BMW send us a float assembly that will work the the K's and R's!

I believe you stumbled across a retrofit part to replace the infamous fuel strip. If in fact this is a fuel strip fix, it supports what I heard from my dealer about a fix in the works from BMW.

I've heard rumors that the 2005 models had a float in addition to the fuel strip and then went to the fuel strip only design on subsequent years but that is unsubstantiated. I was hoping somebody here would know.

I certainly don't think BMW would ever create a retrofit or upgrade for an old model unless it were a dire situation. If it were really costing THEM money then the best they would do is "change the design" for new models; never confessing fault with the old design.

I've heard rumors that the 2005 models had a float in addition to the fuel strip and then went to the fuel strip only design on subsequent years but that is unsubstantiated. I was hoping somebody here would know.

I can definitively reply that at least one early 2005 (NA model designation) standard GS does not have the shown float on the fuel pump side. I’ve had mine out and it isn’t there. Other models and years I don’t know.

I can definitively reply that at least one early 2005 (NA model designation) standard GS does not have the shown float on the fuel pump side.

my 2005 GS does have a float.

My unsubstantiated rumors also described that there may be a mid-year change from float to no float. Perhaps Ken's bike was a late 2005 and Randy's an earlier 2005 ???

Thanks for the input guys.

EDIT: Randy - Do you happen to know the function of your float?

my bike was a late 2004 manufacture date. The float does have something to do with sensing the fuel level, but since I installed the adv tank, it still thinks I have the smaller tank. I would still go into reserve at about 180 miles, till I bent the float arm a bit. Next time I am in there I am going to bend it again, but I mostly rely on mileage.

My 2008 GS does not indicate any change in fuel level until I have ridden about 200 miles after a fill up. The low fuel light comes on 5 (five) miles before the tank is empty.

At least the behavior is consistent.

The dealer looked at the strip and said its impedance (I think) was within spec. However, the dealer also says that what I am seeing is not acceptable. They have a new computer and strip waiting for me.

I hate the idea of changing computers. Unintended consequences, you know. There are worse things than an inaccurate fuel indicator.

Bob

Archived