IGNORED

Kool Trick

bigtim

I recently bought a used 03RT and last w-e was going through it changing oil cleaning stuff up and noticed one of the mounting pegs (push in types)on the side cover had a hairline crack around it. This is normally caused by someone not having them lined up properly or excessive force applied or both.

So's me thinkist, this could be expensive buying a new cover blah, blah, etc. So's, smart ole big tim gets out the epoxy and a Kevlar glove. I mix up a generous amount of epoxy, cut a few strips of Kevlar from the glove and go to work.

I layed on a nice amount of epoxy, lay on a strip of Kevlar kinda slather them around together so they get nice a friendly like, a little more epxoy, a little more Kevlar and so it goes until I have a nice laminated base filled in then let them sit over night.

Come back the next morning and everything is set up like concrete, try to wiggle it tab, no wiggle won't even budge solid as a rock.

I thinkin smart ole Tim's trick worked pretty good so I

thought I would pass it along.

One more small tip, put a small dab of Vasoline on each mating piece and they pop together just like two folks.......oh never mind, you can figure out the rest! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Excellent idea. I've been riding without the left tab for some time, and have been trying to figure out an easy fix. I think you hit on something, now I have to go find that tab- I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

Now, if someone could just explain how to replace the broken, presumably plastic retaining pins (i.e. the forward one that fits into a rubber gromment to hold the side cover on the bike), I'd love to fix the broken ones that came with my used bike. (See pix.)

A service guy said that some people try drilling and mounting similar pins used for automotive interiors, but I've looked at over a dozen types of pins, and still can't find something large enough to fit the BMW grommet.

589222-RT_sidecover_closeup.thumb.JPG.66f1e8ac614848a9a9f2c64d08a98695.JPG

Check out my smugmug walkthrough on making a new one out of Plastex here.

Tom, you should be able to use Plastex (or even ABS pipe cement) to do a good job of gluing the broken post back on (if you still have it).

Scott, if you don't have one to copy we could probably make you one from ours.

Everyone else: I would second the OP's idea about a little bit of lube (a little dab'll do ya! grin.gif ). I also rounded over the sharp edges of the posts with a file to make it pop on and off more easily.

No, unfortunately, I don't have a post to copy; both are gone-like-Elvis. Maybe I could just get a copy of your mold. It seems like a ton of work to ask you to make me a post. Btw, I assume that after you've created the post, you use Plastex to glue the flat base on to the fairing mount point (where the stud broke off).

It seems like the materials you used (rubber mold, and plastex) came from a kit. Where did you pick it up, or do you know the best place to look for pastex?

This is doubly relevant for me. My "Official" Authority bike came complete with battle scars - I have some rashed plastic on my right fairing, and the lower fairing has been trashed. If I can use plastex to fix those problems, maybe I'll take a shot at replainting the fairings myself.

Yet another project... but thanks!

KMG, that is a good trick also. I like the idea if your missing a post and don't have a good one. So far I have done several repairs using the method in my OP and have had good success. I think one key is to keep the posts lightly lubricated so you don't need to apply much pressure.

SWB, If you have a salvage yard around your area another possibility would be to get another cover in good shape, they are normally less costly than a OEM replacement.

Thanks for the comments thumbsup.gif

Archived