IGNORED

Watch your lane position

upflying

This morning I was riding east into the sun on a four-lane roadway posted at 40 mph. Separating on-coming traffic is a double yellow line with opposing left turn lanes present at intersections.

I was the last vehicle of a large group traveling in the #1 lane ahead of me. I was behind a "high-profile" mini-van with my headlight on. I would estimate I was about 60' behind the van at about 40 mph.

Just as the van ahead of me passed an intersection, I noticed an on-coming vehicle stopped in the left turn lane waiting to turn left. It was obvious the vehicle had been stopped for awhile due to the traffic. Just as the mini-van passed the on-coming stopped vehicle, it started forward and began to make a left turn. We both saw each other simultaneoulsy, I dabbed the brakes and the left turning threat stopped and yielded to me.

What did I do wrong create this hazard? You guessed, it, I was following the van in the right wheel lane position. The left turning car thought the lane was clear behind the van because I was hidden from view behind the van. If I had been riding in the left wheel lane positon, I would have been more easily seen by the left turning car.

A small wake up call and a reminder to position yourself in a roadway so other vehicles can see you.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit
Yup, if you can't see them, they can't see you.

1st law of motocylce, "you are invincible".

you haad a speling mistake. fixedd it for you :grin: .

If you are one lane over, it's a blind spot for the left turner.

Because they look behind the van, but not one lane over. I'm always watching that. In fact I am very paranoid about any left turn in front of me.

I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't like the idea of having my body parts ripped up.

dc

I always ride in the right lane position if I'm in the #1 lane of a multi lane road, and normally the left lane position any other time.

"T", can you explain why you choose that lane position?

For me, I'll ride rt side of #1 lane on a freeway, usually but not exclusively (ex: splitting lanes in congestion...) which gives me full view, but won't do it on a two or four lane roadway for the reason Bob indicated.

MB>

"T", can you explain why you choose that lane position?

For me, I'll ride rt side of #1 lane on a freeway, usually but not exclusively (ex: splitting lanes in congestion...) which gives me full view, but won't do it on a two or four lane roadway for the reason Bob indicated.

MB>

Pretty much for the reason you cite but I now see the original point. Almost all of my riding is either on the freeway, two lane highways or divided multi lane roads. I rarely find myself in the position that Upflying has described. I like to be in the most visible spot (left position) generally but I don't want to end up in a car sandwich either. The best way to avoid that is to be in a position so I can split lanes.

Archived