IGNORED

Wind Noise resolutions anyone?

Motorrad4fun

Since I have found the XM, riding has taken on a whole new enjoyment!! I have also found out that on my 2004 K1200GT that when I stand up my helmet noise is almost non-existent. When I put the windshield in the up position, while seated, it gets better, but not as quiet as when I stand up. When I sit normal on the bike and the windshield is in the down position the noise is the worst.

Does anybody have any experience with this and what fixes, if any are there?

I have a Quantum /f helmet, and am 6’ tall, if that has any bearing.

Aluminum_Butt

Based on some recent threads on this subject in this forum, I suspect you'll get three answers.

My answer would be an Aeroflow windscreen. I have the "tall sport" model, and love it. I'm 6'3" and still get a touch of noise (mostly due to the stupid design of the vents on my Shoei). If I were an inch shorter, it'd be about as quiet as a bike can get. Downsides: price ($300+)

Another answer will be the Laminar Lip. Might be good for you since you probably don't need to get the air up too much further than it is now. Upside: price ($75) Downside: mounts with velcro onto existing screen (might affect looks)

Another answer, especially since you say it's quiet when you stand up, will be to replace the taller stock GT screen with the shorter RS screen. Upside: probably find one used at a good price, completely looks stock Downside: less weather protection

I've got an '04 GT

Many riders subscribe to the "shorter is better" theory.

I rode an RS and it was by far noisier (Wind) that my GT which was still too noisy for my liking.

I put a used Aeroflow Touring Sceen on it and I'm nearly satisfied with it as far a reducing the wind noise goes.

Originally I purchased the Standard Touring screen, it wasn't enough for me.

I found someone with a Tall Touring screen (plastic only) which fits on the same mounts...

I'm pretty happy now.

Of course, anything that raises you up in the saddle relative to the screen defeats any gain on the screen end.

i.e. - Bar-backs risers, beaded seat cover, tall seat position

I purchased an older RS saddle for summer use, which is much thinner / lower tan the heated comfort seat which came standard on the GT. It's not very comfortable but does a good job of lowering me out of the windstream.

A Sargent is probably in the cards for next year.

Enjoy

DMilan

I had some terrible buffeting with the stock screen on my 2004 GT. I switched to the stock RS screen and love it. Much less buffeting, less noise, and all the vents on my helmet work like they are supposed to. I got a stock RS screen for like $75 delivered, so it was much cheaper than the aftermarket ones.

I rode in some 40 deg weather last week with the short screen. It was a little cold on the neck!!!

ShovelStrokeEd

You really want to cut the flip off the stock RS screen to gain the most benefit. Sure, you'll get a little more wind on your upper body and neck. There is clothing to handle all that. The big factor is getting smooth air in and around the shoulder area. I have found that jackets with shoulder armor tend to really exacerbate the wind noise problem.

The problem is actually with the helmet design not getting a good seal at the neck and chin but that is a matter for another thread. Try removing, temporarily, the shoulder armour from your jacket and see if the noise doesn't get better.

Another fix might be some wind wings on the sides of the screen. The idea here being to direct the air outward and miss the shoulders and helmet sides altogether. I don't think this problem really relates to height so much as width. It might be worth a try. The Gold Wing guys stick all sorts of little diverters and such on the shields in an effort to get that Buick convertable feel ever closer.

I strongly prefer "clean air" on my helmet. When you stand up on your bike your helmet is in clean air and things are quiet and nice. When you sit down your windscreen gets involved in creating a still pocket of air and you feel the common effect, buffeting.

I will try to never have a bike/windscreen that creates buffeting again. I don't like buffeting. It is very loud even with earplugs.

There are two ways to go if you want to completely eliminate buffeting. One is to create a HUGE still pocket so the buffeting goes around your head completely. LT's and Gold Wings can be configured this way easily. The windscreens involved are HUGE. I don't like that alternative.

The second way is to reduce your windscreen so your head is normally in clean air. Of course this means a whole different dynamic but I like having my helmet in the wind over the other options. When I get a touring bike again, it will have a windscreen that is minimal and hopefully the windstream covers my helmet.

I know of no bike/windshield combination that perfectly adjusts the windstream between full pocket of still air and clean air without creating buffeting. It may be out there, but probably only for a specific rider/windshield combinations. Taller riders are often denied full still pockets of air behind their windscreens unless the windscreens are massive. Shorter riders can find clean air elusive even with the smallest windscreens as the fairing on some bikes is too tall.

Pick your poison, a HUGE windscreen with a big still pocket of air and no buffeting, a "normal" windscreen with some still air and some buffeting, or a minimal windscreen and clean air over your helmet.

Thought I posted on this. But what i did was add a Laminar Lip. At 5'10" the lip gave me just what I needed. The wind noise was raised up and quite remained clap.gif

Thanks for all the great input so far. I am still looking and searching. I found a few options on after market screens and am also looking into the RS screen. I will keep you posted, any more input is welcome

Shorter riders can find clean air elusive even with the smallest windscreens as the fairing on some bikes is too tall.

That's an interesting thought I hadn't really considered. I never seem to have the same experience as anyone else does with windscreens -- it's always noisier for me. I have a shorter torso, even compared to guys my height (though they're not typical). I think something about my helmet contributes a great deal, but I'm not sure what. Wind noise thing is something I'm always looking to cut back on -- ever since the ringing in my ears started, and kept getting louder. crazy.gif

On my Triumph I went taller, taller yet, and a little taller on the windscreen and was never satisified. Finally tried an MRA sport touring screen, which is quite short compared to stock, and loved the results. Clean air quiet! No buffeting. Think I'd remember that lesson with the K.

Laney, I don't know if any of this is helpful but on the chance it might be I'll ramble a bit here.

It might be useful to do a little test. Sit as high as you can, or stand on your pegs a bit while you're riding and see if you can move your helmet into clean air, air uneffected by your fairing/windscreen. This might make it obvious if your helmet or your fairing/windscreen are making big noise. Clean air flows very nicely over a lot of helmets, with earplugs it can be very quiet, a muffled sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

You can also take a ride on a borrowed bike that has little or no wind protection and test your helmet and your preference for clean air. If your helmet is noisey, like a lot of flip front helmets, you could borrow or use another helmet too.

You can also remove your windscreens pretty easily on your bikes, right? If you remove them and go for a few test rides, you might have an idea if a super short windscreen would work for you on the RS or VFR. Is your helmet in clean air with the windscreens off and riding in a normal position? Would a super short windscreen therfore be something you are interested in?

You could also go the other route and get a huge windscreen but something tells me you are not interested in that kind of thing. Maybe you are too sporty grin.gif.

If my ears were ringing, I'd be miserable. Good luck with your airflow and the noise.

Thanks for the "ramble" Corey. smile.gif I don't hear a muffled sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh unless I keep the speeds way down. It's mostly a roar above 60, louder on the VFR, less on the RS.

Borrowing a bike is easier than borrowing a helmet -- I wear an XS -- I don't know anyone else that does.

If my ears were ringing, I'd be miserable.

I've been used to the ringing for years, except when I ride something louder than usual, and the volume of the ringing temporarily goes higher. What's bad is that I'm not hearing certain frequencies, and the ones I've lost are where most guys speech falls. I kind of need to hear what guys say while I'm at work, but it's OK with me if I don't have to listen to them the rest of the time. grin.gif

I just don't want to lose any more than is already gone.

Laney,

I work at San Onofre and live in Carlsbad and I have a small Shoei helmet you can borrow for a test. I'm kindo shopping for an XS helmet for my son but in no hurry since he's just 5.

You could also ride my bike to compare noise if you want.

I've got wind noise problems too on my R11RS and the ringing in my ears has gotten worse since I've been riding (maybe just a coincidence since I'm getting to that age).

Anybody that can recommend a quieter helmet will get my attention.

Thanks,

Jerry

The problem with the RS/GT platform is not so much the windscreen gentlemen; its the fairing design (with the windscreen as PART of it). Yes, the best alternative IMHO is the RS windscreen in 'low' (no buffeting), but it's still quite noisy... barely tolerable with ear plugs at highway speeds. Wind hits me at the upper chest, by the way.

In my case, the noise enters UNDER my helmet, not on or over it, as most think. Now that it's cold, completely cover the area under your helmet, and you'll be surprised how quiet it becomes. I have one of those 'NOS' covers that fit around the helmet and fit into the jacket, and it's great, but it's only for winter.

I bought the best earplugs I could find (33dB), and am happy with the screen in low, even in winter. It only goes up in rain or when too cold without proper gear. Good day.

In my case, the noise enters UNDER my helmet, not on or over it, as most think. Now that it's cold, completely cover the area under your helmet, and you'll be surprised how quiet it becomes.

Shoei makes a skirt to go on the bottom of their helmet that I've been meaning to try when I get around to finding one. --Jerry

try the SAENG thingie

add for slab

delete for destination

2-screws and it on/off

no screen clean

or get behind the high top..note gap between the two screens.

(I used an old KBC clear windscreen and heated it to form flat -- attached dual-lok and viola')

try the SAENG thingie

add for slab

delete for destination

2-screws and it on/off

no screen clean

or get behind the high top..note gap between the two screens.

(I used an old KBC clear windscreen and heated it to form flat -- attached dual-lok and viola')

SAENGwithduallocksideshot.jpg[/img] unscrewtwomountingattachments.jpg[/img] noscreenclean.jpg[/img] SAENGmountingwithcustomhelmetwindscreen3.jpg[/img] SAENGmountingwithcustomhelmetwindscreen1.jpg[/img] noscreensideshotnotehangingbearpelt.jpg[/img] SAENGmomuntedwithduallock.jpg[/img]

I've tried the CeeBailey and the Parabellum and never liked the aesthetics of either one (popemobile effect). Both gave a quiet ride but with bad wind effects around gusts, pickup trucks, semis, etc. (bike weaves when following - no fun).

Finally installed Laminar lip with screws (carefully) drilled to stock shield. Victory! Good noise reduction at any speed (faster = quieter) and no wind effects at all following anything; actually maybe a smoother ride than stock. Aesthetics are decent (barely different than stock GT.) Rain protection is good.

The only downside is difficulty cleaning between lam lip and shield at the sides, where they are closely spaced. Easy cleaning at the center, where you need it clean. Get the nylon screws - you'll need them on the GT.

Lot's of K crowd like Lam Lips. They look decent and they work well.

Dennis Andress

Laney,

I've had the ringing for several years now. Funny thing is sometimes, when my neck and jaw muscles are not taut the ringing disappears. The Schuberth helmet has a great seal around the neck and ears making it quite. But, behind the RS windscreen it's still loud.

Earplugs and music are my answer

Dennis

I used the Saeng thing-y on the short and comfort stock RS screens and found it marginally helpful at reducing wind noise. I've since switched to the Aeroflow large screen, and I think it's a great, well engineered product. It's reduced most of the buffeting and noise, but its only drawback is it works too well in that it prevents my Nolan N-100's vents from fully functioning. If I had it all to do over again I'd prioritize head cooling as #1 (it's usually warm around here), go back to a short, short screen and stick with the Heartech earplugs.

Archived