IGNORED

Overfilled gas tank.. have I damaged my bike?

vbroker

Last night I wasn't paying attention & overfilled my gas tank. Usually the automatic cut off kicks in on the hose pump but for some reason it didn't.

So, I had about 2 or 3 litres of gas that spewed over the tank. I'm not too worried about the fairing/paint as I know that gas won't damage that (from experience dopeslap.gif).

However, I am worried about all the exposed wiring that I see directly in front of the tank (under the dash). I know for a fact that some gas did overflow via that area. Is there some detrimental harm that I've incured on my bike?

I haven't tried starting it since I drove home from the gas station last night.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

ShovelStrokeEd

You'll be fine. The gas might soften some of the tape holding the harness joints together, not the connectors but where the wires branch out of the main bundle. Should be OK once things dry out. I'd park in a well ventilated area for a day or so and move the bike out into fresh air before attempting to start just as an extra precaution.

Oh probably not. Most of the 'stuff' you got fuel on is automotive grade and should be up to a one-time exposure. And it probably all evaporated off rather fast anyway. The one thing that has been known to happen is spotting of the black dash plate from fuel on it. But by the time you read this it's too late for that anyway.

Now if you started your bike and it blew up from fuel in an electrical connector somewhere, and your widow is reading this, well, don't call me!

Not that I'm trying to make you paranoid or anything. wink.gif

However, I am worried about all the exposed wiring that I see directly in front of the tank (under the dash). I know for a fact that some gas did overflow via that area. Is there some detrimental harm that I've incured on my bike?

No problem at all. Any wiring used in automotive/motorcycle applications uses insulation made of PVC, which is utterly unaffected by occasional exposure to gasoline (or even more aggressive solvents).

Connector housings are typically made of polyamide (Nylon, Zytel, etc.) or polypropylene and are completely unaffected by gasoline.

You'll have to work a lot harder if you want to mess up your wiring! smirk.gif

Bob.

The one thing that has been known to happen is spotting of the black dash plate from fuel on it. But by the time you read this it's too late for that anyway.

Just like mine. dopeslap.gif

303 Aerospace UV Protectant....I got mine at REI Coop.

This stuff will remove gas stains on the black dash. And works great on other black plastic body parts! thumbsup.gif

Archived