IGNORED

NTHSA

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I'm not sure where this thread should reside. Maybe the bit bucket? I don't want to stir up a discussion on FDs as that has already been accomplished. Oilheads, hexheads and camheads bikes have had FD failures for some time now and forum members have complained on the forum. The Ducati Monsters have fuel tank failures. Some Monsters and Multistradas have fuel tanks that deform. Some leak, some don't. The cause is suspected but not confirmed to be ethanol in our fuel. NTHSA has been lurking on the Ducati Monster forum, and some person is bringing it to their attention.

Note that the link below has a note that shows web forum discussions about the tanks. Here is a NTHSA document pertaining to the issue. Has anyone ever seen a NTHSA document pertaining to the FD issue. Maybe the NTHSA should lurk on BMWST.com.

I'm not sure NHTSA monitors any forum. More likely, several members of a Ducati forum each submitted complaints to NHTSA, and someone mentioned the web forums in their complaint.

A coordinated effort by BMW owners could yield the same results. How may of you who have had final drive problems have submitted a complaint to NHTSA? It's our responsibility to bring our concerns to NHTSA's attention; they can't read our minds.

How may of you who have had final drive problems have submitted a complaint to NHTSA? It's our responsibility to bring our concerns to NHTSA's attention; they can't read our minds.

BAM!!!! That right there is the key and the problem.

The key - it would force the hand of the manufacturer...IF there really is an issue.

The problem - most people would rather just bitch about it and not take the small amount of time it takes to notify those who could actually do something about it.

The problem - most people would rather just bitch about it and not take the small amount of time it takes to notify those who could actually do something about it.

I have not had a FD problem (or any other trouble), but if I should, what would be the best (most effective) way of notifying the NTHSA? Phone call? email? Letter? All of the above?

Maybe a sticky post with the Address, Phone number, web address, etc. of NTHSA would be a good idea?

Or is there one already and I just haven't found it?

Don_Eilenberger

If you go to the NTHSA website you can search for reported failures/defects. Problem is - if people don't use a uniform reporting method a pattern doesn't really emerge.

The only way to get this some attention would be a concerted effort by a bunch of people who experienced the problem to report the problem in exactly the same manner (picking the same fault area, and basically the same description of the failure.)

That's info from a friend who used to work for them (doing the website programming.)

When my FD failed on a 2000 R1150GS, I filled out the on line form with the National safety guys. I encouraged everyone to do the same, there were quite a few (seemingly) at the time. I agree, this is the place to make a formal complaint. (besides the dealer)

CoarsegoldKid

The only way to get this some attention would be a concerted effort by a bunch of people who experienced the problem to report the problem in exactly the same manner (picking the same fault area, and basically the same description of the failure.)

This makes sense to me.

I haven't been unfortunate to have this problem so of those that have someone should get the form and line by line lead the others to fill it out in the same fashion.

• 1 month later...

Archived